U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:53 PM

5,160 posts, read 5,019,648 times
Default Anyone a top seller on Ebay and able to explain curious auction results?

Any top sellers on Ebay, who make a living on Ebay or it is a big part of your income each month.
To the extent that you'll know all the tricks that Ebay gives to sellers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 AM

754 posts, read 623,825 times
The only people making money on ebay anymore are the people who sell bulk items. Ebay more or less provides a high visability road to their store.

I did it for awhile, but I'm out. It's slanted toward the buyer so much now it's not even funny, and fees have gotten way out of hand.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 AM

20,097 posts, read 14,641,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
The only people making money on ebay anymore are the people who sell bulk items.
That's complete BS.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 AM

754 posts, read 623,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's complete BS.
Ok....a stretch maybe. Point is, it's not that easy anymore.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:59 AM

20,097 posts, read 14,641,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Ok....a stretch maybe. Point is, it's not that easy anymore.
Making money is hard work. But anyone who wants to can. I've explained multiple times on this forum how I do it. It works, and anyone can replicate it if they put in the effort.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 AM

816 posts, read 928,953 times
private bidding is a scam. seller gets friends to bid to pump up the price. one seller ad said no reserve the property was back on the market 3 times

Old 11-20-2011, 09:40 AM

Since some of you have joined the thread, I'll present the issue.

I saw an item for 1 cents and free shipping.
I checked the completed auctions for this seller, and 10-15 of these had sold for under 45 cents. It is impossible to ship the item for 44 cents, U.S. postage. And even if it would fit in an envelope, which is will not, they make zero profit. I asked on Ebay and got some answers like they were "taking a loss to build up their feedback" and to "get people to look a their other higher priced" items.

The seller had 37 of these for sale, and all ended at the same time.
I began to bid, when there was 5 hours left in the auctions.
I was high bidder on a couple at 11 cents.
Wow, 11 cents and free shipping.
Impossible, but I'll take it.

I bid on almost all 37 of them, slowly, nickel by nickel, and every time I bid, I'd be the high bidder on one or two, or I would always be outbid.
I waited until there was 1 minute to go on all 37 auctions. I had multiple browsers open. I was high bidder on two of them at 32 cents. About 15 were priced lower than 32 cents. I figured, it will take some seconds for all those bidders to go higher, nickel by nickel.
So, I should get the two I was high bidder on. But, I did not. I was outbid.
I looked at the winning bids on all 37 items. Oddly, many sold for under 32 cents. But, when I tried to raise the bids, I was always beaten.
If the seller was not shilling, and I think they were, how could 37 real bidders, all beat me, when all 37 items ended at exactly the same time?
Why did some sell for less than 32 cents? I did not have time to bid on 4 or 5 more. Throughout the last 2-3 hours, every time I would bid, I'd not be the high bidder. Yet, out of the 37, many sold for less than 32 cents, but coincidentally, I did not get get either one of mine, for 32 cents.

There were 37 items.

The question is:
Since all 37 sold and many sold for less than the two I bid on, were the 37 winnings bidders real people?
If not then the seller is paying final value fees on these completed auctions.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Well, today's version of the shipping tape story is interesting.

There are 65 rolls. All the auctions end in about 50 minutes.
The highest bid is $1.25.
The 2nd highest bid is 60 cents.
The other 63 items have bids less than 60 cents.
Guess who is the 60 cent bidder? Yes, it's me.
So there are 63 items to be scrambled for by others.
I can accurately predict, that once all the auctions are over, I'll be a loser and many of the under 60 cent bidders will have won.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 AM

10,376 posts, read 8,113,775 times
I'm having trouble understand your explanation of the situation but, as an eBay buyer since 10/1999 with 3,000+ feedback (some of which is for shipping tape, by the way), I have two questions:

1. How do you know that the other bidders arent using a sniping service to bid?

2. Why are you not using a sniping service?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 AM

2,475 posts, read 354,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
private bidding is a scam. seller gets friends to bid to pump up the price. one seller ad said no reserve the property was back on the market 3 times
I have had the same experience. Tried to bid on the same items different auctions all with the same seller. For months the same bidders were bidding on the items. Shills. Done with ebay forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business