U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,547,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I also wonder where you have worked where someone could bluff their way through an interview? It's easy to tell if someone has really done something or not. We don't ask yes and no questions.
I and nearly everyone I know got a job through a friend or family member so the resume didn't really matter a whole lot anyway. I probably wouldn't bother sending one to someone I didn't already know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 AM

505 posts, read 921,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I and nearly everyone I know got a job through a friend or family member so the resume didn't really matter a whole lot anyway. I probably wouldn't bother sending one to someone I didn't already know.
That seems very subjective and I'm imagining that you live in a small town or work in an industry where qualifications don't matter. But to the rest of us who must rely on our actual skills and experience, a resume is the only thing we can use to find someone who's expertise extend beyond a relationship.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
That seems very subjective and I'm imagining that you live in a small town or work in an industry where qualifications don't matter. But to the rest of us who must rely on our actual skills and experience, a resume is the only thing we can use to find someone who's expertise extend beyond a relationship.
Actually I live in a major metro (DC) and work in a management position for one of the world's largest companies. It really doesn't matter the size of the business. Interpersonal skills and networking trump anything you can put on a resume.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 AM

11,166 posts, read 11,257,735 times
Resume's are important- most go to h.r managers- they are all about details

I do believe everyone should have a decent resume, but its the interview , thats the selling point-youve got to sell yourself

Old 12-31-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Resume's are important- most go to h.r managers- they are all about details

I do believe everyone should have a decent resume, but its the interview , thats the selling point-youve got to sell yourself
Your best strategy is to bypass HR if you can. That's a black hole. Figure out how to get directly to the hiring manager. You can then follow-up with HR as a formality. Most corporate HR departments are a waste of time.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:46 PM

14,849 posts, read 18,243,623 times
As a hiring manager I am not allowed to talk to any potential candidates
until the interview, after myself and HR have evaluated the resumes and
ranked them to come up with a manageable number of people to bring in.
Even after the interviews if they call me I have to refer them to HR for any questions on the selection process. If someone applies that I know I would have to either play dumb and pretend not to or excuse myself from the interview. The legal departments are afraid of being sued, any company with over 50 employees have to follow a lot of rules to avoid accusations of preferential treatment or discrimination. Small businesses can hire friends, friends of friends and family all they want, and some larger ones
do but I would think the majority of them are going to have specific
procedures to follow and will not just skip that process to hire someone
the manager knows.

The interview is the opportunity to sell yourself but without a great resume
you won't get the interview.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a hiring manager I am not allowed to talk to any potential candidates
until the interview, after myself and HR have evaluated the resumes and
ranked them to come up with a manageable number of people to bring in..
Your company is somewhat unusual. I've worked for some pretty big ones as a hiring manager and HR was usually more than happy to defer to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business