Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In the northeast, most people know what it is. You use information technology to gather and analyze data for management to use during the decision making process. There's a lot of heavy math involved.
You should really start calling universities in the northeast to complain, because I doubt if you'll find many undergrad MIS programs that involve "a lot of heavy math".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
You should really start calling universities in the northeast to complain, because I doubt if you'll find many undergrad MIS programs that involve "a lot of heavy math".
BI and Data Mining, Neural Network analysis, Segmentation, regression require a fair amount of math. These days it's all built into cognos and similar systems.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,192 times
Quote:
There's a lot of heavy math involved.
Not really. There is business calc (highest level of math needed) and some statistics involved, as well as some programming, but not as extensive as comp sci or programming.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
Not really. There is business calc (highest level of math needed) and some statistics involved, as well as some programming, but not as extensive as comp sci or programming.
I didn't mean for the degree.. but for what the software does. The mathematical models that BI software produces is complex.

The degree math requirement, I'd imagine is the same as a business admin degree. I forgot this thread was about the degree and not the subject.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu Warrior View Post
Hi all,

I'm not posting this in the education section because I want my audience to be business folks.

I'm trying to figure out why people give me the deer in the headlight look when I tell them I have a BS in Management Information Systems.

I've come to the conclusion that HR folks and people in general need to be educated as to what this degree is and how I can contribute to a company. I'm not trying to sound arrogant so sorry if I'm coming across as that. Not my intention. I feel like there needs to be an ambassador for my degree because everyone I run into has no clue.

Without going to google, yahoo, etc... can anyone tell me what they think an MIS degree is? (Don't cheat ) I can say Accounting, Economics, or Political Science and everyone knows what it is, but if I say Management Information Systems, or Information Systems Management people have no clue.

For kicks, once I receive a few responses, I'm going to post all of my MIS classes that I've taken to give a better sense of what it is.

In case you are wondering, yes I am working in the field where MIS degrees are mostly seen so my peers know. Every field should know what an MIS degree is because everyone uses one.
I majored in Accounting and minored in MIS (which I stunk at ) during my undergrad. However, I found out that by the time I came out of college pascal, cobol, C++ was obsolete but they set a great foundation. MIS degree is great for decision-making and analysis because it encompasses business, accounting, technology. I'm stronger on the accounting (Lord knows I was dumb in writing languages) side but with the MIS background I'm very good at analyzing information and extracting data for various regulatory reports from our main systems. I can slice and dice data like no one's business. Am I on the right track?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Slightly off topic....

At my last job, we had a MIS department. When my previous co-worker came to my current job, that was the lingo she used when creating budgets for that department here.

Currently, it's known as IT for Information Technology.

I would guess your degree invovles knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems, programming languages, databases and things of that nature.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
yeah I think of MIS as being more business focused than number crunching

Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu Warrior View Post
Hi all,

I'm not posting this in the education section because I want my audience to be business folks.

I'm trying to figure out why people give me the deer in the headlight look when I tell them I have a BS in Management Information Systems.

I've come to the conclusion that HR folks and people in general need to be educated as to what this degree is and how I can contribute to a company. I'm not trying to sound arrogant so sorry if I'm coming across as that. Not my intention. I feel like there needs to be an ambassador for my degree because everyone I run into has no clue.

Without going to google, yahoo, etc... can anyone tell me what they think an MIS degree is? (Don't cheat ) I can say Accounting, Economics, or Political Science and everyone knows what it is, but if I say Management Information Systems, or Information Systems Management people have no clue.

For kicks, once I receive a few responses, I'm going to post all of my MIS classes that I've taken to give a better sense of what it is.

In case you are wondering, yes I am working in the field where MIS degrees are mostly seen so my peers know. Every field should know what an MIS degree is because everyone uses one.
I knew, and I'm somewhat surprised that people wouldn't know what MIS is.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,192 times
Quote:
I didn't mean for the degree.. but for what the software does. The mathematical models that BI software produces is complex.

The degree math requirement, I'd imagine is the same as a business admin degree. I forgot this thread was about the degree and not the subject.
You would normally learn how to use the software, not so much develop it. That's what software engineers are for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
yeah I think of MIS as being more business focused than number crunching
Pretty much.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
People don't know because: degree is BS, MS, etc. IN: MLS, etc. - it's not a MLS or whatever degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business