Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times

Advertisements

CL is believed to be owned principally by Newmark, Buckmaster, and Ebay (the three board members). EBay owns approximately 25%, and Newmark is believed to own the largest stake.
In April 2008, Ebay announced it was suing Craigslist to "safeguard its four-year financial investment." eBay claimed that in January 2008, Craigslist executives took actions that "unfairly diluted eBay's economic interest by more than 10%.

They have 32 employees:
Craigslist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 PM

HERE is a phony CL buyer.
I have a 20 inch CRT monitor for sale.
I got this message just now:

you said you had sold the crt?

.....short and TOO sweet to be a real interested buyer.
Also, why ask me, if I told THEM, I already sold it?

And here is their name and e-mail address:
name: emt L (mmmm, odd name)
trizip222@ hot mail (trizip seems to have no meaning)

I doubt this is a real interested buyer.
If they are, and they see my ad again, I'll hear from them again, if they are really interested.

Last edited by howard555; 03-01-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 07:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well ebay owns craigs list and paypal.
Craigs is fee free so you lose no money to seller fees. Craigs list attracts a lot of scammers. For every 25 responces one may be a real buyer.
Ebay gouges you for seller fees and paypal fees. Ebay exposes your goods worldwide. So the fees can be offset with more bidders.
This is misleading. eBay owns a minority share of Craigslist. eBay owns PayPal in its entirety.

eBay does not gouge you for seller fees and paypal fees. They charge you about 13% to 16% for most items. That's hardly gouging.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well ebay owns craigs list and paypal.
Craigs is fee free so you lose no money to seller fees. Craigs list attracts a lot of scammers. For every 25 responces one may be a real buyer.
Ebay gouges you for seller fees and paypal fees. Ebay exposes your goods worldwide. So the fees can be offset with more bidders.
Craigslist is free, until the day Ebay interferes, if they can.
I do meet some people half way = fuel cost.
I also meet people at very public places, if I am selling high value items like coins.
I've sold quite a few items to people who lived over 200 miles from me.
I ship it, or they make the trip, or have friends or relatives in my area.

Ebay is worldwide, but there are good reasons not sell to anyone who lives outside the USA. Too many problems, related to shipping cost and shipping methods.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Ebay is worldwide, but there are good reasons not sell to anyone who lives outside the USA. Too many problems, related to shipping cost and shipping methods.
I agree. eBay has gone a long way to make it safer to sell overseas.... but it's still a pain in the butt to deal with international shipping.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
To those who sell on Craigslist how do you determine what to sell? Are the items that sell well on ebay the sameones that will sell well on CL?

Also how do you determine what to charge for your items?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
One advantage I can see with Craigslist compared to ebay is that since it's mostly local people dealing with each other you don't have to deal with shipping. With ebay I have to find a package and packaging material for my stuff which can sometimes be a hassel depending on what it is and get to the post offfice or UPS station. But with CL for the most part you can just give over the item to the buyer without any packaging saving you hassels associated with packaging.

I guess this is why I sometimes hear people saying that they prefer to sell smaller items on ebay which are easier to package and ship and sell larger items on CL which may be a little more of a hassel to package and ship.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
One advantage I can see with Craigslist compared to ebay is that since it's mostly local people dealing with each other you don't have to deal with shipping. With ebay I have to find a package and packaging material for my stuff which can sometimes be a hassel depending on what it is and get to the post offfice or UPS station. But with CL for the most part you can just give over the item to the buyer without any packaging saving you hassels associated with packaging.

I guess this is why I sometimes hear people saying that they prefer to sell smaller items on ebay which are easier to package and ship and sell larger items on CL which may be a little more of a hassel to package and ship.
Frequency also matters. If you're selling 3 to 4 things per week, then craiglist is very manageable. But if you're selling for profit at a rate of 100 items per week... it's impossible to meet up with that many people. It's easier to package them and ship them. Especially if they are all the same size and weight.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Part of your sales proceeds is in the shipping and handling you charge.
Ebay's new rule is that you have to pay final value fees on the shipping charge.
That does not mean that a seller's shipping can't be X% higher than the actual shipping.
You do not want to lose money, if you have to pay for packing materials, and other shipping expenses.

Ebay overseas for me, is bad because the postage is alot higher than the buyers might think. You can not use "delivery confirmation."
If you want to insure the package you have to send it registered mail.
I only sell to USA or Canada or Mexico.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 PM

541 posts, read 860,943 times
Quote:
To those who sell on Craigslist how do you determine what to sell? Are the items that sell well on ebay the sameones that will sell well on CL?

Also how do you determine what to charge for your items?
For CL, you can sell anything, but they do have a TOS so you may want to read that before starting.

Since there's no Chinese competition on CL (yet), there's a better chance of getting a sale at a reasonable price. Keep in mind that people read CL looking for bargains so if your item is outrageously priced, it probably won't sell well. Also, most people want to buy locally on CL so if you're too far away they may not go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Appreciate that info and link. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business