U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM

4,868 posts, read 4,430,742 times
Default Making Money: Craigslist vs ebay?

I don't have much experience with Craigslist but does anyone here sell items on Craigslist for profits? If so do you make more using CL for this vs ebay?

I was thinking about buying some cheap items at a garage sale or closeout source and seeing if I could make a profit off of them by selling them on Craigslist. But I was wondering if most buyers tend to check what things go for on ebay before they consider buying something on CL? Anyway I was wondering if people have found that they can get more money for their stuff on Craigslist vs ebay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,180,234 times
Craigslist for the most part is face to face which can be trouble,a person sizing up your property,ebay mail.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM

4,868 posts, read 4,430,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Craigslist for the most part is face to face which can be trouble,a person sizing up your property,ebay mail.
So are you saying there's more of a chance of people changing their minds about buying something after they've had a chance to get a close look at it? I'll try to sell new stuff that I find from closeout sources. Maybe they'll be fewer issues with something new.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM

1,968 posts, read 1,515,930 times
I'm considering the same since I can't find a job. Just meet someone at Starbucks and sell for cash. I know of someone who does this all day every day.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
Well ebay owns craigs list and paypal.
Craigs is fee free so you lose no money to seller fees. Craigs list attracts a lot of scammers. For every 25 responces one may be a real buyer.
Ebay gouges you for seller fees and paypal fees. Ebay exposes your goods worldwide. So the fees can be offset with more bidders.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM

18,312 posts, read 13,835,205 times
I look at craigs list as something I can find for cheap. The same goes for Ebay. Granted I'd pay more for something off of ebay.

If I am trying to sell something I'd use craigs list. If I was advertise my business or list a service my business offers I would not use Craig's list.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM

542 posts, read 316,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well ebay owns craigs list and paypal.
Whaa? Can you provide a link for this info? I did think that Ebay and Paypal worked together in harmony but all three owned by the same entity??

My problem with Ebay was the competition with companies from China that would list all goods at .01. Of course the shipping fees would be outrageous, but people seemed to not pay attention to that. And Ebay charges fees for everything you do. Seemed like if you wanted any exposure at all you had to pay for it.

I love Craigslist. I've used it for so many things and haven't shelled out a dime yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Craigslist for the most part is face to face which can be trouble,a person sizing up your property.
That is a risk you take. There was a guy who was killed for his yacht he tried to sell through Craigslist. A group of four people conned him and his wife and eventually killed them and took their yacht and also tried to take their savings as well. It was featured on an episode of Dateline. Scary stuff!

Last edited by Tantamount; 03-01-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 PM

5,186 posts, read 5,123,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
So are you saying there's more of a chance of people changing their minds about buying something after they've had a chance to get a close look at it? I'll try to sell new stuff that I find from closeout sources. Maybe they'll be fewer issues with something new.
I think they meant that Craigslist is so wide spread nationally, that there are scammers on there, and real crimes have been committed. That said, Craigslist is no different than selling something in your local paper. You'll have to give them your address if they are to come buy the item, and you'll need to give your phone number in the newspaper ad.

BUT, NEVER put your phone number or address on Craigslist. You phone number can be used to send unwanted text messages from telemarketers. Your address is not public information either until you give it to someone.
Here is how to know if the person on the other end of a Craigslist ad, the buyer, is real. If they have a gmail address, beware. Many of them are just spammers or scammers, phishing for your e-mail address for junk mail.
When I am selling an item, if the buyer sends me a message like:
A. Is it still for sale?
B. Do you still have it?
C. So, only $15.00?
NEVER reply to a message like that. They are phony. If they are people really interested in your item, they'll tell you more than that.
When I get a reply from an e-mail address that is gmail, and I think they are ok, I still send them a reply from my Hotmail account, not my home e-mail. If their e-mail address "domain" is not known to me, then I also reply using Hotmail. I know Yahoo, AOL, Hotmail, and others. But there are other domains that I do not know.

From what I know, Ebay does not own all of CL. They own 28%.
Ads are free.

Ebay you pay a fee to list your item (they give 50 free per month, excluding extra photos) and a final value fee of 8-15%. Then you have to be able to take a credit card so you have to have a business Paypal account and the fees are 30 cents per transaction and 2.9% of the total. I've sold 100's of items on Ebay.

Certain items won't sell. Example: VHS tapes.
Name brand clothes you got at Goodwill, or baby clothes, do sell well.
Sports cards do not sell well on CL. They do on Ebay if pre-1980 and graded. Old books sell, antiques, etc.

Then you have to have shipping materials for Ebay items.

Whether you sell in your local paper or CL, it is all the same, you'll have to eventually give your address and phone to sell an item.
On CL, just screen the e-mail addresses.
I've gotten messages from people and when I click the reply key and look at their user name, it is some weird name you never heard of. Avoid.
Also, if the message to you has words mispelled, they may be in other countries and just wanting you to reply, so they have your e-mail address for junk or spam.

It's like driving 35 miles per hour on the highway. If you drive scared you are the one who may very well have a wreck. Do not be scared of CL, just screen the e-mail address and domain, knowing there are spammers out there.
Depending on your city, CL can be crowded.
Your ad can go to page 2 or 3 in only a few hours.
Ebay has millions of U.S. members and you'll get far more looks at your items.

Ask any questions you have about CL or Ebay, here on the forum, or direct message.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:59 PM

5,186 posts, read 5,123,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Whaa? Can you provide a link for this info? I did think that Ebay and Paypal worked together in harmony but all three owned by the same entity??

My problem with Ebay was the competition with companies from China that would list all goods at .01.
From what I know, Ebay owns 100% of Paypal and 28% of Craigslist.
CL actually has less than 20 employees.

I needed a small light bulb for a light over a kitchen counter. A tiny bulb, 6 volt or something. They were close to $3.00 at Home Depot.
On Ebay I got a pack of 12 for $1.00 and free shipping from CHINA.
I asked my post office, how can they ship it for less than the cost of a U.S. postage stamp, and I got no real answer.

I once got a cell phone car charger for 1 cent and $4.99 shipping. When it arrived the postage was 83 cents. Basically I paid $5.00 for the car charger and free shipping. Same $5.00.
Many Ebay sellers lose money on the actual item and make a living off the shipping and handling.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

542 posts, read 316,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
From what I know, Ebay owns 100% of Paypal and 28% of Craigslist.
CL actually has less than 20 employees.
Interesting info!

Quote:
I needed a small light bulb for a light over a kitchen counter. A tiny bulb, 6 volt or something. They were close to $3.00 at Home Depot.
On Ebay I got a pack of 12 for $1.00 and free shipping from CHINA.
I asked my post office, how can they ship it for less than the cost of a U.S. postage stamp, and I got no real answer.

I once got a cell phone car charger for 1 cent and $4.99 shipping. When it arrived the postage was 83 cents. Basically I paid $5.00 for the car charger and free shipping. Same $5.00.
Many Ebay sellers lose money on the actual item and make a living off the shipping and handling.
Yes, exactly! It's really hard to compete with those low prices from the Chinese sellers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business