Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times

Advertisements

Small business owners / employers, how much does your company contribute toward each employee/dependent medical insurance? Just curious what the trend is (if there is one). E.g. Do you pay 50%, 75%, 100% of medical premium? Or, do you offer a flat dollar amount per month? Do you pay for dependent coverage (spouse and/or kids)? If so, what percentage of dependent coverage is paid?

I realize that this is highly variable with type of business, employee, insurance, employee's total compensation package, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
In our consulting business, we pay 100% of premiums (medical, dental, vision, ltc, etc). We have more contractors than employees, however.

In our preschools, we pay 75%. This is mandated by the franchiser (who also provides us with group plans). The employees have several different options to choose from.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In our consulting business, we pay 100% of premiums (medical, dental, vision, ltc, etc). We have more contractors than employees, however.

In our preschools, we pay 75%. This is mandated by the franchiser (who also provides us with group plans). The employees have several different options to choose from.
Thank you for the info. I am paying 100% of the premium for HMO (they pay addtnl for PPO upgrade). I also offer an additional (though small) flat dollar amt for dependent coverage. However, the employees (good and long-term employees) are starting to marry, have kids, and I'm getting requests for addntl. dependent spouse/child coverage. I want to keep/attract good employees while keeping costs down of course. Trying to figure out what is an acceptable contribution amt. in the market.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Our company isn;t a small business, but our insorance coverage is something we are now seeing other businesses starting to look at or do.

Our company pays 100% of the medical premiums for an employee. They pay nothing for dependent coverage. Dependent covergae is made available under the group plan, but the subsidy is $0. After several plans over the decades, this is the version that has been the most widely accepted by the employees and last year, they voted to continue it with no changes. They looked at various subsady levels and in the end, any subsidized coverage for dependents penalized single people and that was unacceptable so what we have now was the only fair way they could come up with short of paying the single people extra for not having more coverage.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Our company isn;t a small business, but our insorance coverage is something we are now seeing other businesses starting to look at or do.

Our company pays 100% of the medical premiums for an employee. They pay nothing for dependent coverage. Dependent covergae is made available under the group plan, but the subsidy is $0. After several plans over the decades, this is the version that has been the most widely accepted by the employees and last year, they voted to continue it with no changes. They looked at various subsady levels and in the end, any subsidized coverage for dependents penalized single people and that was unacceptable so what we have now was the only fair way they could come up with short of paying the single people extra for not having more coverage.
Thank you for your perspective... I do feel that offering more family/dependent care can be perceived as rather inequitable by the single employees. I am thinking of offering an additional flat dependent amount that would be returned to the single person as cash if unused. Maybe I will adjust the annual bonuses/raises to cover these addtnl benefit costs. Still trying to figure out how to handle this as well as how potential Obamacare may affect things. But that is a whole other topic...

Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
We pay 50% of the employees health insurance (PPO)....and it's getting so high, I'm not sure how much longer we'll be able to do that. Small company with older employees....runs up the costs for everyone.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our employer pays either 85 or 90% depending on whether we have fulfilled some health/fitness requirements. For 3 of us it runs me about $140/month, for medical, dental, vision and prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business