U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM

2,901 posts, read 5,115,693 times

Advertisements

I live close to 2 or 3 big flea markets with outside trading tables which you can rent for as low as 20-50 dollars a day. I've sold garage type stuff there once and did well, about 200 in one day or u can say 5 hours. It was a carload of accumulated stuff, nothing really fancy. We also had an indoor shop for 4 years but we didn't sell goods there, it was a service.

I'm unemployed and need extra income so I don't dip into my savings. I want to hear ideas on what sells good. I want something that sells itself. Something useful and affordable for people to purchase. So far I've had ideas about spices since I may be able to get them for a fraction of what they are in the grocery store, another idea is clothing - possibly modified articles since we know how to knit. I see weekly merchants on the outdoor tables who specialize selling switchblade knifes, or colonges, or toiletries, dollar store stuff, shoes, music CDs, jeans, cellphone accessories, etc.... I don't have any hookups but I live in an industrialized area. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM

593 posts, read 1,146,324 times
I visit 2 fleamarkets every weekend and have for probably 30 years. I NEVER even look at the "NEW" stuff- I'm just not interested in junk/counterfeit stuff from China (Not saying that is what you would sell). Spices sound like a good idea, I buy nuts, bread, deli items, produce, fruit, flowers so I could see myself buying spices- the problem is- How much ginger can you use in a week? You need to think of something people will use quickly and come back for more. I noticed a new vendor selling the "k cup" coffee refills- but I don't use that type of machine so I didn't buy any. Tables selling used clothing seem to draw the biggest crowd- but they are asking only 50cents -1Dollar per item- I know you need to make more than that. I know Target and other box stores sell their returns online to people somehow- but alot of it looks broken or otherwise suspect to me. Believe me- if I could think of something that sells well I'd probably be selling it also. Good luck to you.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Yea people don't use that much spice. That sounds true. We have some new kind of coffee maker that doesn't use the traditional coffee container. Keurig Brewer. The used-section is the funnest to look at but I wouldn't know the first place to get that stuff. Don't think it'll sell for much.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,488,188 times
What do you have access to buy cheap with a good profit margin? I would look into food items-gourmet items especially.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 AM

101 posts, read 280,881 times
Nobody is gonna tell you there secret or good idea .. Its gonna be up to you to do your research and discover your niche! Any good idea that pops up on here, your not gonna be the only one to do it.. sorry to bust your bubble.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM

593 posts, read 1,146,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
Nobody is gonna tell you there secret or good idea .. Its gonna be up to you to do your research and discover your niche! Any good idea that pops up on here, your not gonna be the only one to do it.. sorry to bust your bubble.

not sure what that is supposed to mean- maybe true for an Ebay seller- but hell- anyone can walk around a flea market and see what others are selling- the thing is- when I walk around I don't see ANYBODY making a killing on ANYTHING.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 AM

I think the best thing hands down is the farmers market fresh produce. The amish do very well with their food to. Food is the best because people want it even if they buy nothing else. We have an icecream truck but the fee and compitition doesn't look good for us.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 52,366 times
What abou selling used electronics?? What do you guys think about that??

Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM

2,169 posts, read 2,299,871 times
If you know how to Knit why don't you try buying some new clothing and sew on a local sports team patch or something. Make some custom clothing that would satisfy a local taste of some sort. I could see people buying sports letterman jackets with a Green Bay Packers Logo or something.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM

1 posts, read 51,014 times
More times than not, the people who you may think are not selling a thing are actually making a killing. I try to find stuff that everyone else doesn't have that I can get at auctions, or from wholesale websites. I think the knitting is a good idea, but its allot of work.

There is no secret to selling on ebay or at flea markets, its just coming up with a creative idea and trial and error from there. The ones who think there is some big secret, or some secret wholesale supplier who sell things dirt cheap are the ones who end up spending a fortune and hours of time only to be dissapointed. Flea markets and ebay is hard work, but fun and rewarding! I know you didn't say that but it always makes me mad when I see those people.

Good luck! I hope you figure out something that works for you and you enjoy doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business