Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

Wow. I greatly appreciate all the valuable feedback that everyone has provided. I certainly will take heed.

Mircea, had you paid attention to my post you would see that I sought but did not find. I have not been given any particular tools on how to properly search forums but I see you are a Senior Member. This must come easy for you.

I have touched basis with SEO. I am working to get more in depth with it. I sale a plethora of products and at first it seemed to be simple. Promote the website, bring traffic, get sales. However as Wartrace, TechGromit, and Mainbrokerman expressed; it's about the product. Ergo, I am now marketing in consideration and it has brought good results.

Hmm. If my grammar offended, my sincerest apologies. hahaha, but I should have known better. "their - there" I am all for reproof.

On the other hand, thank you mysticaltyger.

I am going over what everyone is telling me in detail. Thank you again for the valuable feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM

7,925 posts, read 12,629,680 times
I think a big misconception among people looking at e-commerce is that they can just set up a "data feed" from a "E-store in a box" company and sales will follow. The problem with this approach is NOBODY WILL FIND YOUR STORE. Unless you can get on "Page one" of Google search for the products you sell there will be very little traffic.

Another HUGE mistake is selecting product to sell just because you "like it" or "know about it". You have to evaluate the competition by the typical keyword someone would use to search for the product. An example might be "BBQ grills"- A quick review of the first ten Google results will probably show you "Target", "Wal-Mart", "Sears", ....you get the picture. You ARE NEVER getting on the front page with that Keyword.

Alternatively if you do some analysis and find that there are 1500 searches a day for "Peruvian wool Llama socks" and the competition in that keyword is low you might have a chance of getting up on page one.

An example of selling knives was mentioned. I can tell you right now that I wouldn't even waste my time researching that market- I already know that it is oversaturated with people selling the same product. Maybe it would work on "E-bay" but you would never make it to page one of Google.

I also disagree that a "Brick and mortar" store would have an advantage in E-commerce. The overhead of a store is not a benefit AND having a physical location is not going to increase online sales. It would make sense to sell online if you had a storefront BUT having a storefront wouldn't be an indicator of online sales success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business