U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,595,305 times

Advertisements

If you run a bed and breakfast, do you actually have to live there too, and do you have to actually make the breakfast? Can you just provide the stove and refrigerator, and tell the guest to get the materials, and cook it themselves?

Also can you make your apartment in a multi-family building a bed and breakfast? I guess it varies between regions right? Anyone with experience? And how do bed and breakfasts usually market themselves?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 11:25 AM

2,169 posts, read 2,366,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If you run a bed and breakfast, do you actually have to live there too, and do you have to actually make the breakfast? Can you just provide the stove and refrigerator, and tell the guest to get the materials, and cook it themselves?

Also can you make your apartment in a multi-family building a bed and breakfast? I guess it varies between regions right? Anyone with experience? And how do bed and breakfasts usually market themselves?
My aunt and uncle own a bed and breakfast. You do not have to live there, but it would be hard not to given the amount of work you do. Also, its a bed and BREAKFAST. So having a B&B without breakfast, its just a hotel. I would say your idea of letting guests cook and fend for themselves is not a good one. Most of the reason people choose B&B's over a hotel room is because of the human interaction and the small town feel. The generosity of the hosts (owners) also plays a huge role in why some people prefer B&Bs.

To the making an aparment into a B&B. No absolutely not. Not only would you never attract guests, but I am pretty sure that is against the apartments policies. As mentioned above B&B's market themselves through word of mouth on how quaint the place is and how nice the hosts are. They also are usually within close proximity to tourist attractions. My Aunt and Uncles is located near the Biltmore Estate. I hope this helps.

If you are thinking about renting out your apartment to people from out of town. I would recommend you try one of the websites that allow you to post an ad and people will be able to rent it out fully furnished for a certain amount per night. Basically like a hotel. The name of the site I am thinking of has slipped my mind right now. Maybe someone else can supply.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:51 PM

491 posts, read 1,209,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If you are thinking about renting out your apartment to people from out of town. I would recommend you try one of the websites that allow you to post an ad and people will be able to rent it out fully furnished for a certain amount per night. Basically like a hotel. The name of the site I am thinking of has slipped my mind right now. Maybe someone else can supply.
VRBO - Vacation Rentals By Owner? Now owned by Homeaway.com.

I stay at B&Bs a lot when I travel. I've never stayed in one where the owners lived there. I think the owner-lived-in situation is how B&Bs got started, and those still exist, but now a B&B is like a very small hotel that serves a set breakfast menu.

What is your situation? What is your goal?

Old 07-05-2012, 12:12 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,595,305 times
hahahah lolz thanks for your repliesI work in property management, and I was looking for a way of getting around the silly rent stabilization laws here in NYC. I was thinking, I would do everything the same as you would for a rental apartment, but call it a B&B. Like it will be owner occupied, who uses it as a B&B. I would still use regular realtors to bring in renters, but just inform the clients, that it will a rental using a B&B disguise. I am just brain storming, not exactly how much it would do for my current situation.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 AM

2,169 posts, read 2,366,691 times
Actually. I found it. crashpadder.com is what I was thinking of. Its now owned by airbnb though. http://airbnb.crashpadder.com/ Its basically a rent out your spare room kind of site. I am not sure how it works regarding tax laws and your apartments policies but I think this is your best option. Give the site a quick read through.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Status: "Opinions Are Like Belly Buttons. We All Have One." (set 11 days ago)

2,155 posts, read 1,270,698 times
Most of the Bead and Breakfasts that I have seen are out in the country,
in a quite rural area, ( maybe on a farm ) with a large house and many rooms.

Each person or couple would come there and rent a room
and in the morning they would be served breakfast either by
a country style or buffet style meal.

Most of the demand is from women who want to get away from home
and town life with their husband, and enjoy the quiet country setting
and not have to cook, or jump up and go the first thing to Mickey D's for a biscuit.

You still have to do or hire someone to cook, and
change the bedding, and clean up each room.

Most of the owners lived there, or hired a full time caretaker.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM

25,241 posts, read 27,352,041 times
Well, given that it's a Bed and BREAKFAST, I think anything else would be false advertising. I mean, if you just warm up some Cream of Wheat on the stove and bellowed "Grub!" up the stairwell, you'd be flayed alive on the travel forums such as TravelAdvisor.

If you get into a business, any business, you don't do it halfway. If you can't handle the idea of getting up every day and cooking breakfast for paying guests, then you are the wrong cotton-picking business. Choose something else.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-06-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 AM

50,240 posts, read 47,554,186 times
running a business and non involvement does not work. self employment is hard work. self employment is 24/7 employment when u wake up u r on the job. good rule of thumb is would u work of a company where the owner wants no involvement and just wants to sit back and collect checks?. in other words would u work for a lazy disinterested bozo? if not then make sure u dont imitate his behavior and your business will be just fine.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Status: "Opinions Are Like Belly Buttons. We All Have One." (set 11 days ago)

2,155 posts, read 1,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

The best question would be ..........

If you were to stay at a B&B what would you require for service, etc ?
Ask others what they would want for their money, and time spent at your B&B.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM

2,173 posts, read 1,461,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, given that it's a Bed and BREAKFAST, I think anything else would be false advertising. I mean, if you just warm up some Cream of Wheat on the stove and bellowed "Grub!" up the stairwell, you'd be flayed alive on the travel forums such as TravelAdvisor.

If you get into a business, any business, you don't do it halfway. If you can't handle the idea of getting up every day and cooking breakfast for paying guests, then you are the wrong cotton-picking business. Choose something else.
I totally agree with you. Folks should not try and cut corners. It can make or break your business, and customers will feel the indifference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business