U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:42 AM

20,954 posts, read 26,117,278 times

Advertisements

the guy basically told me that it was more than id be willing to pay for it and didnt give me a number. im not really sure what he figures that is. i did want to come off as someone unfamiliar with buying domains and unwilling to pay too much. it sounded like he was actually going to try to develop it himself. i dont see that making sense for him. you cant just go into this business because you have a great domain and think you are going to make any money (his day job is not related). ill try to reconnect with him in a couple of weeks.

oh and i was honest about my identity. im not really comfortable not being honest and i figured that it wouldnt ultimately matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:42 PM

124 posts, read 66,926 times
Did you email him first or just call him using the number on his domain registration info? Personally, I wouldn't like it if someone randomly called me about a domain I own, just email me. I have gotten lucky a couple times emailing people trying to purchase a domain. You're going to likely over pay too, he knows you want the domain and he's not actively selling it. Just how it goes, if you really want it you have to make a generous offer.

If he decides he does want to sell and you agree on a price, escrow.com is a good site to make the transfer. It's used by all the big domain/website selling markets like Flippa.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22003yo View Post
Did you email him first or just call him using the number on his domain registration info? Personally, I wouldn't like it if someone randomly called me about a domain I own, just email me. I have gotten lucky a couple times emailing people trying to purchase a domain. You're going to likely over pay too, he knows you want the domain and he's not actively selling it. Just how it goes, if you really want it you have to make a generous offer.

If he decides he does want to sell and you agree on a price, escrow.com is a good site to make the transfer. It's used by all the big domain/website selling markets like Flippa.
i called him. the email on the site info doesnt seem like one he would likely check regularly. he told me that it would cost me more than id be willing to pay. i followed up with an email. i think he is assuming that the site would be more valuable to a different type of business than mine. i think he is not correct with that assumption (his assumption is logical but i believe shows that this isnt really his regular line of business). i think he is even making the mistake of trying to develop it on his own. that will likely be a waste and a failure for him.

he was a nice older guy that went into owning domains as a side business. i sent him a follow up email and i will call him again (luckily he works about 1.5 hours from my house so i can visit). i wish he would have thrown out a number but he made the assumption that it would probably be too much for me (i didnt want him to think i would pay any price for it). most individual companies in my industry are small and wouldnt have use for the domain but my company is not small so i think we (or someone like us) would be the most successful with it.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:17 PM

I sent the guy an email today and he called me back. he gave me a range, 100k<$<$200. the question is, how much additional moolah shmoolah can this domain name help me make and can I convince a guy who doesn't have his own computer that it is a good buy.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,489,436 times
Google doesn't care about whether your domain is "top level" or not. Get any domain that has the keywords that you want. Add dashes between words. Get a "low level" domain that ends in .net or .org or .whatever. It doesn't matter as long as the key words are in your domain name and you have quality backlinks to your site.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
Google doesn't care about whether your domain is "top level" or not. Get any domain that has the keywords that you want. Add dashes between words. Get a "low level" domain that ends in .net or .org or .whatever. It doesn't matter as long as the key words are in your domain name and you have quality backlinks to your site.
i have read that the domain doesnt matter from that perspective. but how valuable is a site from a marketing perspective of being the easiest word for anyone looking to either be a customer or work in that job would remember? like lawyer.com or something of that nature. im trying to check the popularity of it by using the keyword estimator on adwords. it doesnt seem to change the number of searches depending on the geographic location i choose. for example, if i choose new york it says 10,000 and if i say entire us it says 10,000. so im not sure how to fix that. im assuming its a national number but im not sure.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:22 PM

i have given it further thought and have determined that it isnt worth the money. id love to have the domain but it doesnt represent the best opportunity for us.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:22 PM

3,579 posts, read 2,123,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have read that the domain doesnt matter from that perspective. but how valuable is a site from a marketing perspective of being the easiest word for anyone looking to either be a customer or work in that job would remember? like lawyer.com or something of that nature.
I know the dentist who owns teeth.com.

It's mostly wasted on him, since a domain that is global is a poor fit for an extremely local business.

When I'm looking for a new dentist, I'm not going to type "teeth" in the search bar. I'm going to type "(my city) dentists".

Old 01-27-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know the dentist who owns teeth.com.

It's mostly wasted on him, since a domain that is global is a poor fit for an extremely local business.

When I'm looking for a new dentist, I'm not going to type "teeth" in the search bar. I'm going to type "(my city) dentists".
i agree with that. the good thing about me is that i am a large operator in nyc. the volume of work i can do is enough to say "screw the rest of the country." i could also do a model where i can use it for nyc for me and some kind of leads generator for other places. but there really isnt enough money in that. the money i would make from my business would probably be plenty to justify the expense but its a tougher sell plus i would need to build the site (or i could just put my site there which would still probably work out). i think it would pay off but i dont think i can get buy in (kind of funny because i had given up but am second guessing myself as i type this. id love to have the domain.)

Old Today, 09:52 AM

im back in the domain business. i am now considering the purchase of my company name. we currently have the domain for my full company name but most people refer to it as the abbreviated first 2 words. guy who owns my first two words wants $20k for it. i wish i knew how to justify the expense to the big guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business