U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,839,974 times
mjf9510 wrote quote:Buying a bread route is a good opportunity if you buy one in the right area. With the right types of accounts.Your overhead is low and its pretty much recession proof. I've been doing it for 18 years and never been out of work knock on wood. Besides its a great investment. I built up my route twice and sold some accounts to other distributors. Like I said you just need the right route.

I can agree with most of the above however building up and selling off is not what it used to be in well established areas.I almost bought a pepperidge bread route it was made up of a few sell offs from a few route owners,they had each taken a couple of their slowest stops and created a new route.The Mfg.Co.s love this the more placement of product the more profit for them.I backed out and bought a snack route (Chips & Pretzels etc) I owned two different routes over a 28 year period and made a living doing it.Today the competition is high as there are many more Co.s on the market with like products.Stay away from any union connected ones,supermarket routes do volume compared to small stores but your profit margin will likely be less.Some parent companys can be very controlling. Some store managers/owners can be a pain to deal with unless your product is #1 on the market.Keeping your truck up and running is most important.You will be giving up vacations and sick days,most all expenses will be yours,insurance,uniforms,display racks,stationary,sales pads etc.My advise would be to get a job as a route man for a non franchising company first to see if you can handle it,its not a business for every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 77,597 times
New member and just found this thread.

My wife and I have owned two bread routes (currently own one) and have made fantastic $ working each one. It is great money if you have the right route and is a lot of work. Well worth it, though.

All companies have good and bad within them so don't be put off by a bad exp from someone else, we are all different and approach the same situation with our own exp and ideas.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

287 posts, read 492,805 times
Where are good sites to see what kind of "routes" people are selling for not only bread but all different kinds. I live in PA and would be curious what's in my area as I might be interested in something like this....

Old 04-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 15,511 times
I wanted to do the bread route business but no experience regarding this. I am not sure how it justify about potential route . Is it bakery matters alot or the delivery place ? i will be thankfull to all of you for help .

Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM

Just type in "route for sale" in google and numerous sites will come up. Can't vouch for any of them but their are several sites that sell routes. You can also go to company websites to see if they offer Independent Operator routes.

With the price of gas I would not be looking at a route that has a lot of miles to drive.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Sara Lee, Bimbo Bakeries and Flowers all offer routes for sale and I believe their sites have info regarding the routes with contact numbers you can call for more info.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:10 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,839,974 times
With today's gas prices if stops are far apart its a big expense.With Italian roll and bread routes delivering to Delies etc.you best have a rental truck available if yours brakes down else you risk loosing the stop the same if a union is involved and you can't get supplies you can loose stops.I had a snack route in NY and a union stopped trucks for delivering to the central warehouse till we joined the union even though we owned the routes meanwhile my exclusive stops got another supplier when I couldn't service them (beware of Unions).A route is not as simple as it may seem.Many routes for sale may be made up of slow stops put together by a few distributors Beware of these.I speak with 28 years in the route business I made a living but never got rich and its hard work my knees are shot from packing out lower shelves.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM

The key is not to 'buy a job' but buy a route that has potential to flip and make a profit. We like to purchase under served routes (you would be surprised at how many routes really do grow when you put someone in charge who is not burned out by life, etc), build them up and then sell them at a fantastic profit.

It's better and safer than flipping a house because you are earning great money while you build up the equity in your route.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 14,853 times
@ Sleeping Bear I am in the process of making a move from a stable job to possibly going to work for Bimbo. Is this a wise choice as far as timing and not knowing what kind of route I will eventually own? I also have a question as to what type of rig i should get as far as transportation? I have heard a truck and trailer is the way to go?

Thanks, for any help or advice you can lend. open to anyone listening as well

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbsoccer View Post
@ Sleeping Bear I am in the process of making a move from a stable job to possibly going to work for Bimbo. Is this a wise choice as far as timing and not knowing what kind of route I will eventually own? I also have a question as to what type of rig i should get as far as transportation? I have heard a truck and trailer is the way to go?

Thanks, for any help or advice you can lend. open to anyone listening as well
With Bimbo it all depends on what area of the country you are in. There are some areas that I would not touch with a 10' pole due to the type of upper management that is currently in place. Other regions of the country I would jump at the chance.

You need to see numbers (proforma) of what the route is netting each week for (at least) the past 16 weeks. I would also talk to the person who is currently running the route as well as making a visit to the accounts to check them out. Depending on the potential for growth you will not want a truck and trailer as you may have to reload on larger routes. Then again, if it's just an 'in town' route that might be great.

Too much stuff to go through on here...feel free to email me at usabread 'at' live 'dot' com and I can answer your questions. We have a buyer for our route and are in the process of selling it so I can give you current info on what you would need to buy one from Bimbo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business