U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed-breadman View Post
Hi I can show you around I have a Freihofers route in Nanuet.
I am considering on buying a freihofers bread route in upstate ny. Are they difficult to work with? Do they require min. quotas and push route operators?

I've been self employed all my life and have owned and still do, several businesses. Is this a business opportunity or just a way to buy a job? I'm very aggressive and like to grow businesses, if the route is pretty sold out, then is it possible to buy into other territories to grow? Is there any other way to grow the business?

What should I be looking for other than gross sales volume over the last three years?

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,734,049 times
I had 2 different snack routes for 28 years in metro NY. Now with the price of fuel travel between stops should be a big consideration.The second route I had for 22 years it was much better because it was # 1 and later #2 on the market so sell off was much better.If your brand is not a favored one expect to get less shelf space in the markets.Being in or having to join a union is a bad thing as my first route's Company went down hill and finally off the market.My advise is to take as much time as you can and ride on the route as much as possible.Your truck is your right arm in a route Buss. and repairs can be costly,a rental truck is important to have in brake downs.If the Route is a sell off ( two or more route men putting a route together to sell) make sure you are not getting their slow stops only. Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM

8,549 posts, read 13,177,973 times
I remember so well those Little Debbie snacks we delivered to the grocery stores in Iowa. They were old when we got them from the distribution center. Made in Memphis, Tn. was a long ride, but they always were a sell out, or, the store manager threw some in the garbage, will never know how that went. I sometimes " sampled" a few in my truck, stopped cause they sort of made me sick !! The Bread in the bulk of my route was bad enough!..... I wonder now how things have changed since the 60s ? The big thing in those days was private label, that way the stores had all the control, all we did was deliver the trays at their back door in the middle of the night. My route was 400 miles long, every night except Saturday. Not an easy way to make a living back then !

Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 49,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
If the Route is a sell off ( two or more route men putting a route together to sell) make sure you are not getting their slow stops only. Good Luck.
Google wasn't helpful, what are slow stops? How do you know if you're getting one?

I'm new to all this and looking to gather as much info as possible before making a decision. Any info with route sales/distribution would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,734,049 times
[quote=barney85;22833679]Google wasn't helpful, what are slow stops? How do you know if you're getting one?

I'm new to all this and looking to gather as much info as possible before making a decision. Any info with route sales/distribution would be helpful. Thanks![/QUOTE

Slow Stops=Stores that don't sell off merchandise and return a lot of stales that take away from the route man's profit and time.To find out ride the route with the seller several times, also ask other venders in the store.Also look at dates on merchandise on the shelves a lot of short dates indicate slow movement.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,533,047 times
I looked into this. Many of these 'routes' for sale have wildly exaggerated claims or puffery as they say. If it were so easy to make what is being claimed then wouldn't more people be getting into this?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,533,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I remember so well those Little Debbie snacks we delivered to the grocery stores in Iowa. They were old when we got them from the distribution center. Made in Memphis, Tn. was a long ride, but they always were a sell out, or, the store manager threw some in the garbage, will never know how that went. I sometimes " sampled" a few in my truck, stopped cause they sort of made me sick !! The Bread in the bulk of my route was bad enough!..... I wonder now how things have changed since the 60s ? The big thing in those days was private label, that way the stores had all the control, all we did was deliver the trays at their back door in the middle of the night. My route was 400 miles long, every night except Saturday. Not an easy way to make a living back then !
People have gotten more health conscious after the rise in obesity in the 1980s. Now (after rising for 30 years ) the number of overweight americans is declining. I predict in coming years processed foods like this and especially processed junk food will cease to exist in America.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,498 times
Hi Sleeping Bear,
If I buy a bread route in florida, can I have someone else do the route for me?
And also, since you have a lot of experience in this field, are the vending machine routes
and the pool routes profitable routes?

Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,350 times
i was a bread man for 10 years The price of fuel and operating costs for your truck will affect your profit tm mn

Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,971 times
So is a delivery route business successful?? How soon do u make a profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business