U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 10,147 times

Advertisements

My husband, Kenny worked for Flowers as an independent for about 15 years. Quit when they built a Walmart supercenter & he was told by his bosses that he would have to merchandise that one stop 4 times a day. He asked them for help in paying someone because he was having me & our kids helping him for free but none of us could do it that many times. He had other stops, including restaurants & schools that had to be done by certain times. The boss said sorry so Kenny said here's your route back. Fast forward years later.... My son got a job with Sara Lee but come to find out was too young to be driving the truck because of insurance or something. So, the deal was my husband would buy the route & then 'sell' it to my son when he turned 21. Kenny managed the paperwork/tax info., etc. & my son ran the route. My son had one wreck & messed up the motor in another truck so we had to fix the truck AND have a rental while that one was being worked on. My son also screwed up on a Walmart inventory. There were weeks at a time that the route only made enough money to put gas in the truck to run the route. This was because of my son not doing what he was supposed to do, not because of the route. He quit & my husband had to quit his job & get back on a bread truck. My husband now wants to sell his route because he's had surgery on his spine & other health problems & can't do the route. He's got helpers but that's not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 9,718 times
I have been on the route broker sites.why is it that the bread routes seem to sell more frequent than snyders or fed ex ..thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,930,399 times
I never did buy a route, I guess I got side tracked with other ventures.. it's still something that I would consider and have learned some more about it..

The better the product the better the company the better the route.In talking with someone who owns a rout through Peppridge farms I have learned they are probably one of the better companies to work with.. However their routes are expensive, and if your young you might find value in buying a less expensive route and building it and then selling and then buying into peppridge farms.. also... P.F snack routes are estremely expensive..

This guy told me when his route grew too big he ended up selling half of it.. this of course was a mistake because what could somtimes take an hr or more making a large delievery (waiting on paperwork bs) is now all electronic and takes a minute.. basically had he held on to the other half he would have no problems handleing it..

Flowers just baught a large bread company in the my area and I hear the routes should be coming up for sale?? just a rumor though right now.. but I "heard" they are pretty good company..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,389 times
Has anyone heard of a Martins Potato Bread Route (chicagoland area)? I tried their products, and they are outrageous! Are they a new company?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM

1,610 posts, read 3,831,827 times
Its not what it used to be with high fuel cost and more of a variety of products on the market.I had 2 snack routes over a 28 year period,made a living but didn't get rich.Stay away from having to join any union,get a good reliable mechanic to fix your truck quickly,ride on any route as much as possible before buying,beware of any sell offs of slow stops known as (stale traps)when a store changes owner ship new owners are always looking for free Merchandise from you,Xmas gifts are expected at least in the NY area so it is good to have a name brand product that they need in the store.My knees and back is shot from bending over and kneeling to pack out the lower shelves.Good Luck I have seen many fail as its not a business for everyone.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM

8,575 posts, read 13,436,504 times
For years I had several bread routes, all private lable bread. We delivered in the nighttime , just left the stack of trays in front of the store. It was tough, 6 nights a week 400 miles every night. Always had to be at last delivery befor the store opened. Money was not bad, we worked for the bakery under contract using a small semi tractor and a 35 ft. Trailer. My other routes were "just in time" delivery's, like fresh bread for Sunday Am del in a couple of very large stores.Most of those other daily routes were overflows and we hauled mail, auto parts all in the same truck, that's where the real money was.We did it all, overnight parts to Catapiller shops, Sunday papers , daily papers. The routes always changed eventually as needs changed, also others bidding on new contracts...Just some Intersting ways things used to be in the Midwest.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM

1,239 posts, read 3,593,674 times
Taxes and expenses will suck you dry especially in a high tax state like NY or California. There is such a huge disincentive due to this, such as self employment tax that is 15.3% right off the top, payroll + unemployment taxes if you employ drivers/helpers, no chance of any type of retirement since you can only do a 401K thru an employer and health insurance -- lets not even go there -- your insurance will never be as good as it would be under employer sponsored coverage and after taxes & expenses unless you have a spouse you probably will be uninsured under the new Obamacare rules kick in.

I pay just under $300 a month for a basic high deductible individual policy in Massachusetts -- on a side note, there has not been ONE mention or discussion on how people will pay for insurance under Obamacare --- higher taxes across the board or some type of money fairy that will appear?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM

8,575 posts, read 13,436,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Taxes and expenses will suck you dry especially in a high tax state like NY or California. There is such a huge disincentive due to this, such as self employment tax that is 15.3% right off the top, payroll + unemployment taxes if you employ drivers/helpers, no chance of any type of retirement since you can only do a 401K thru an employer and health insurance -- lets not even go there -- your insurance will never be as good as it would be under employer sponsored coverage and after taxes & expenses unless you have a spouse you probably will be uninsured under the new Obamacare rules kick in.

I pay just under $300 a month for a basic high deductible individual policy in Massachusetts -- on a side note, there has not been ONE mention or discussion on how people will pay for insurance under Obamacare --- higher taxes across the board or some type of money fairy that will appear?
You are off topic here. Take your slanted politics somewhere else please.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 25,819 times
Where I reside someone is selling an Arnold/Thomas route for 225k. She says it nets 1700 a week. Truck included.

Is it worth 225k?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

6,569 posts, read 17,911,311 times
$225K for a truck and "good will" is kinda high based upon my past Grocery experience of 23 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business