U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 02:51 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,821,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1981 View Post
I find the bread business difficult.

Theres some cons to bread routes some people dont realise..

-Most companies pay for the stales, but, up to a certain %.
-Bread has a really short shelf life. 6-7 days?
-Short shelf life means you have alot of returns to pull out from stops aspecially in the slow season
-Nowadays large supermarkets have a "vendor violation" policy, where if they find an outdated product on your shelf, you get fined 40-75 dollars depending on the store.
-Short shelf life, means you have to go to the warehouse to pick up fresh bread, in the AM, every single day. You will be waking up way earlier than other vendors since stores have recieving hours.

in retrospect, I have a potato chip route.

-Shelf life of my product is 2 months so stales are low.
-You dont have to go to warehouse to load up every single day(if you get a big enough truck)
-You can start later in the day if you want.
-more flexibility, if I want to skip a stop or take a day off I can, bread is more important aspecially cash stops; if you supply the rolls and they have no bread to make sandwiches, you'll have ticked off owners. If you skip a day with bread, you might get an outdate and a vendor violation.
-Supermarket stops when it comes to bread is more visits per week to the same store. Most bread guys have to be at these supermarkets 5 times a week, other vendors like pepperidge farm cookies 1x a week, stella doro cookies 1x a week, chip guys 3x a week, alot less.

Bread is just way more work and requires way more dedication since the schedule is not flexible. One can not simply say "i will take off or start work extremely late today", when it comes to bread. Bread has probably the most responsibility out there.
Stales keeps you honest and the I think its only fair the company put a limit on buy backs. Snack routes I hear are much better all around. Pepperidge farms snack routes are VERY VERY expensive. Not sending the wrong message but I hear they also require less time... more time off!?!

I also hear technology has made it much easier for the route guys to get their work done and in effect can do more work in a day then 15 years ago..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,975 times
In many of the blogs and articles I have read people say not to go through a broker to purchase a route. If you do not use a broker how do you come across routes for sale? I have searched craigslist and through the internet but I am not finding the quality routes that I had hoped for.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 13,878 times
Good routes are hard to find. Most won't sell very often. I've owned an Arn/Tom/Ent route for 17 years with over 10 million in sales and over 2 million in commissions.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:53 AM

6,411 posts, read 10,589,438 times
Bread routes? Are these a regional thing or an artifact of the past?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 13,878 times
Nationwide. I've selling bread since 1982.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 PM

8,546 posts, read 13,070,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Bread routes? Are these a regional thing or an artifact of the past?
Service routes be they Bread, snack vending , magazines ,over night parts distribution whatever. are mostly about Logistics. That goes for just about anywhere in the world. There maybe more routes and people involved in rural areas where the logistics gets complicated with the distance between stores or service centers where the economy of scale does not work for wholesale distribution by large vendors with many routes and many trucks from a central location. Wherever there is a need there Will be a Man/woman and a truck to take up the void.

I come from a long line of family members who were involved in some sort of logistic product deliveries. I grew up living in a truck. first we were US Mail Contractors , then penny candy vending machines , then private label bread routes ,( often combined mail and bread in the same truck ) newspapers , magazines , and last but not lest over night parts deliveries to auto parts stores and end user needs that were very time sensitive in the machinery industry. Some of us lived that life till the day they died , many times from bad food habits ( eating too much product ) and some like me moved on in what just came natural ,Logistics/ trucking till the day I retired10 years ago.

So you see , there always be the need for alternative small businesses , all you really need is a truck, then find something to distribute somewhere. The world is full of self made successes these are just some of them, often little known outside the trade.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,764,443 times
What a fascinating thread. I had no idea this world even existed.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM

1,610 posts, read 3,700,660 times
Stay away from any route in Long Island NY that requires you to join a union one ruined my investment .

Old 02-03-2014, 05:02 PM

6,541 posts, read 17,337,593 times
As a business owner of 6 different operations that I started over a 36 yr period (they worked out just fine) all I can say is that any person who needs help trying to buy a business operation that they know nothing about will end up a loser.

It is almost impossible to walk in a run any operation w/o prior knowledge and/or experience.

You inherit some money.....buy some business and eventually will be broke.

I know this happens in many cases as I was in the Inventory trade and did the physical Inventory taking for the Seller/Buyer transactions.

Some times the Seller will hang around for a week or so....does happen depending on the type of business.

Best bet re the bread route would be to help out the Seller for a few days to see if things could work out......nothing like hands on experience. Better to be safe and sure before making the plunge.

This thread is a little old but the idea/principals/desires still happen today all over the country..... Free Enterprise still working.

What I had seen was the Seller being about for just one week and then Good Luck.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM

8,546 posts, read 13,070,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a business owner of 6 different operations that I started over a 36 yr period (they worked out just fine) all I can say is that any person who needs help trying to buy a business operation that they know nothing about will end up a loser.

It is almost impossible to walk in a run any operation w/o prior knowledge and/or experience.

You inherit some money.....buy some business and eventually will be broke.

I know this happens in many cases as I was in the Inventory trade and did the physical Inventory taking for the Seller/Buyer transactions.

Some times the Seller will hang around for a week or so....does happen depending on the type of business.

Best bet re the bread route would be to help out the Seller for a few days to see if things could work out......nothing like hands on experience. Better to be safe and sure before making the plunge.

This thread is a little old but the idea/principals/desires still happen today all over the country..... Free Enterprise still working.

What I had seen was the Seller being about for just one week and then Good Luck.
It's called " blue sky " real hard to sell any business that's all about service. What I have seen over the years is most services businesses that are for sale are not worth much, that's why they are for sale. You are right on with your analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or