Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 40,105 times

Advertisements

Hi I can show you around I have a Freihofers route in Nanuet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 22,235 times
I stumbled onto this thread while doing some research on owning a delivery route. I am looking to talk to anyone who can give me someone insight into what it takes to own a route. I would also like to speak with anyone wanting to sell their route. I have a general understanding of running a business and have been working underneath of the CEO of a privately owned business.

Last edited by vter; 06-24-2010 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: do not post email addres...someone will DM you if interested

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the pepperidge farm routes use to sell in maine, and having known a couple drivers-(yrs go) they did very well!
pepperidge farm is a unique line.

If i were researching this, id ask to job shadow for a few days (the person selling the route) get the sales trends in each account, and profit, also ask for the details- if the bread doesnt sell- do you give full credit? also- if there is a bread outlet store-what can you sell to them (cost, for shrink recovery)

it's a competitive business, you need display area to sell product, but sometimes the space sells to the highest bidder at the corporate office. (chain stores)

Just saw this old thread by me and hopefully I can get some new and updated info.

This is the line I am interested in? It was put on the back burner for a few years but I am now again looking into it. I own enough realestate that if I sold off what I have (not my home) I could buy a route free and clear.. whether or not I even want to do this I dont know yet??

But PF is supposed to be the best.. And I hear the cookie/snack rout's are the best!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
hauled a lot of bread all over the MIDWEST , long ago. I did mostly private label for the big store chains....All night work. My route was 400 miles long , every night , not an easy job. It made me a living , but not a great one considering the long hours on the road. Had about 6 stops and ten houts to do it in ! These were bid jobs and I had to have a 35 foot trailer t0 haul the bread on racks/ramps, hard work. We hauled Little Debbie also, but got same pay, it was alabout getting the the store early with fresh bread before it opened. Sometimes I worked for the bakery and sometimes directly for the store chain. I had several routes and we hauled other stuff along with the bread, auto parts, US mail , etc. on some of the routes.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 AM

I am not talking about hauling. Many of the breads you buy at the grocery store are delievered by guys who own the route's and the rights to those stores or a particular area.. You own a specific route working a specific product.. ie.. pepridge farms. You see a peppridge farms box truck delivering bread chances are he is his own owner operator..

I have talked to a few a of the guys that work my area and they love it.. I know for a fact they make a lot of money. You have to buy your own health ins. and they help each other out with sick time and vacations.. but good routs are hard to some by and are worth a LOT of money. One guy for pepridge. farms told me a good snack route with peppridge farms can sell for well over 200k..

I am looking for some real inside info.. companies to stay away from.. determining value of the route ect.

here are some for sale...

http://www.teampoa.com/content.aspx?...odule_id=22968

Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
I have to disagree there , hauling bread is all about route work. Its a bulky item , and most deliveries ARE made by the truck/driver/and or owner operator. Any big supermarket will use up a lot of bread in a day , sometimes in larger cities , several semi-loads. Many also bake their own also, in store.
What you are talking about is " blue sky" selling where someone has worked years to establish a " route", ...and now wants to sell it. The same thing goes on with vending machines , I once had a peanut machine route also, no big profits , just a lot of counting change.....and driving. All these route type enterprizes share one thing in common , its owning /maintaining trucks , and racking up a lot of miles every year. The stores want to make a profit , and by using outside contractors , they get their products delivered, shelves stocked , all without expence.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I have to disagree there , hauling bread is all about route work. Its a bulky item , and most deliveries ARE made by the truck/driver/and or owner operator. Any big supermarket will use up a lot of bread in a day , sometimes in larger cities , several semi-loads. Many also bake their own also, in store.
What you are talking about is " blue sky" selling where someone has worked years to establish a " route", ...and now wants to sell it. The same thing goes on with vending machines , I once had a peanut machine route also, no big profits , just a lot of counting change.....and driving. All these route type enterprizes share one thing in common , its owning /maintaining trucks , and racking up a lot of miles every year. The stores want to make a profit , and by using outside contractors , they get their products delivered, shelves stocked , all without expence.
I am not sure what your talking about then? You might mean owner operator with regards to "truck driving cdl type stuff" ?? Thats not what I am interested in/

The guy I know has been doing this for decades and makes a very good living! He used do it for a local snack company but sold his route because he hated the way they did business to buy into peppridge farms.. which in his opinion is the best company to work for. It's hard work but the money is fantastic! he said the routs have gone way up in price and the snack routs esp are expensive??

But your right that they way to do it is to buy a rout and build business and increase you sales and value of the route!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:34 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Iit is critical you don't start out with some half baked business plan if you want your profits to rise. Owning a route is hard work so no matter how you slice it you can't afford to loaf on the job if you want to make real dough.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 42,979 times
Default bread route

Quote:
Originally Posted by khadgipp View Post
I own a bread route and I cant wait to sell mine. You are basically working for the bread company and all the stores that you have your accounts with. All the store managers are pain in a ass. They dont like to run out of bread. I am talking about one bread item out of 70 different bread you carry. They want you to run the perfect business. They always want you to keep your self full. Lots of things that are impossible to do. And everytime your store manager call your DM, they threaten you with the breech of your contract. This is one of the worst business that you will ever get into. I have done this for two years now and I have never been this unhappy.

Its like that here in CT dude. Ever since Bimbo bought the company. I've had my route for 10 years. It was alot better back then. About 40 of us down here in CT are suing the company because they treat us like employees. I feel for you. I've been in this business for 18 yrs. It was easy money when I started not that way anymore.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 42,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post

Buying a bread route is a good opportunity if you buy one in the right area. With the right types of accounts.Your overhead is low and its pretty much recession proof. I've been doing it for 18 years and never been out of work knock on wood. Besides its a great investment. I built up my route twice and sold some accounts to other distributors. Like I said you just need the right route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business