U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM

1,630 posts, read 1,784,057 times

Advertisements

My assistant is covered under my liability insurance. She is most certainly under $600 every year (in earnings from me.) Her earnings from me (cash) go straight into her gas tank.

I do like your faker and belly acher addendum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:09 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I'm a professional dog walker. I have one part-time assistant, whom I pay exactly what I get paid. (I don't take a cut.) I squirrel away money for taxes, and pay them quarterly. I don't have health insurance (can't afford it.) I don't use the emergency room; I see my doctor yearly and pay the bill. I got a flu shot two weeks ago. My husband and I are a one-car household, thus saving on gas and resources. We shop locally as much as possible.
I started my business with existing money; no bank loan. We vote "yes" on all school bond issues and millages.
I don't know how much of this information is relevant to my question, but I'm putting it out there for you to make a decision.
So? Am I a "maker" or a "taker?"
You pay taxes and, unless you've omitted anything, you aren't pocketing government benefits.

You are a maker.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,620,656 times
Zenstyle,
You are a maker.
The takers are the big Corporations that buy off our politicans and own
our COngress so they can write the tax law to benefit them.
That is why a near billionaire, such as Mitt ROmney, paid only 14 percent
in Federal Taxes, and that is after he raised his rate by forfitting some
deductions, but that is only on the one return he disclosed.
Real rich people and Corporations don't pay hardly anything at all,
so don't you worry about wether you are a maker or a taker at all.
You just keep doing what you are doing and make lots of money.
You sound like you enjoy your job, and that is 90 percent of it.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
The takers are the big corporations? You mean the same corporations that provide plenty of jobs for those that are not willing to make the same kind of risks that those who opperate the corporations made. The takers are the people like Mitt Romney who took over at least 103 failing companies that were in distress and or bankrupt, companies that were on the verge of going out of business and turned most of those companies around so that those that are not takers could still have jobs. The takers are those that invest their money in these companies or even start and opperate companies on there own taking only there cut from what ever profit is left over at the end even though the Government keeps 14 percent of that profit, Those are takers?

I am wondering what do we call those people when their business is not so good and they have no profit at the end of the year. Are they still takers?

You may not know this but the 1% of the nation pay upwards of 28% of all taxes. The top 8% pay nearly 50% of all taxes. The top 50% pay 98% of all taxes. Seems to me that the wealthy are being stiffed. Seems to me that the lower classes need to step it up and pay their fare share of the tax bill. Those that make the least pay nothing in taxes and get money back. Imagine that.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,601,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The takers are the big corporations? You mean the same corporations that provide plenty of jobs for those that are not willing to make the same kind of risks that those who opperate the corporations made. The takers are the people like Mitt Romney who took over at least 103 failing companies that were in distress and or bankrupt, companies that were on the verge of going out of business and turned most of those companies around so that those that are not takers could still have jobs. The takers are those that invest their money in these companies or even start and opperate companies on there own taking only there cut from what ever profit is left over at the end even though the Government keeps 14 percent of that profit, Those are takers?
Of course.

Romney, etc. are total self-serving leaches.

But let's loop back to that later.

Quote:
I am wondering what do we call those people when their business is not so good and they have no profit at the end of the year. Are they still takers?
Some of the biggest. It is not an accident.

A no tax business -- aka, not so good at the end of the year -- can be a pretty good thing, indeed.

Don't think you really understand the game, yet?

Quote:
You may not know this but the 1% of the nation pay upwards of 28% of all taxes. The top 8% pay nearly 50% of all taxes. The top 50% pay 98% of all taxes. Seems to me that the wealthy are being stiffed. Seems to me that the lower classes need to step it up and pay their fare share of the tax bill. Those that make the least pay nothing in taxes and get money back. Imagine that.
THIS sounds like the biggest load of nonsense in the mix.

So let's start with this.

Where are these numbers from?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,937 times
Hi i am a gold and silver trader and i am new in this forum.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Of course.

Romney, etc. are total self-serving leaches.

But let's loop back to that later.

Some of the biggest. It is not an accident.

A no tax business -- aka, not so good at the end of the year -- can be a pretty good thing, indeed.

Don't think you really understand the game, yet?

THIS sounds like the biggest load of nonsense in the mix.

So let's start with this.

Where are these numbers from?
My numbers on who pays the taxes come from the IRS statistics. Here is an article from Robert Longley on the 2002 Tax numbers.

Who Pays the Most Income Tax?

I found for the 2011 total tax bill:

Here is another cool story I found:

http://www.freeenterprise.com/article/taxes-who-pays

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 11-21-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 PM

5,045 posts, read 3,330,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Sorry, I beg to differ. She is a private sector "maker" that pays her taxes quarterly and pays the salary's of the public sector city, county, state, and federal government employee's. The same government that makes it hard on the private sector by raising the taxes which causes her to pay more for groceries, utilities and other necessary consumables. IMO

Now she is going to be forced into Obamacare or pay a penality. I don't see how this government has her best interest at heart. AJMO

Yes, you don't want to be a business, your assistant is a partner.
She makes it harder on herself by voting yes on all the school stuff.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM

971 posts, read 1,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
She makes it harder on herself by voting yes on all the school stuff.
Having been associated with our local secondary school system for over 30 years, I can attest to the fact that there is considerable waste in the school systems. One of the biggest is that teachers get a budget each year and if you don't use all the budget, your budget gets cut down the next year. There is no such a thing as holding over part of your budget for possibly needing more money for the next years class. The phrase is "Use it or loose it". It makes no sense as no two classes of students are ever the same.

The politians know if they want to get something passed, they lie about it helping the schools. It happened with the lottery in our state. While the schools might have gotten a small increase in funds, what it really meant for the state government was that they had extra funds for their own pet pork projects that they were previously funding the schools. The lottery money was never in addition to the regular funding.

Much of the school's problems began when we started electing school board members by personality instead of qualifications, the very same problem we are having with our federal government. IMO

Old 11-27-2012, 10:30 AM

5,045 posts, read 3,330,095 times
The highschool I graduated from in 2007 (entire public school experience was a waste of time) has fewer students now, but hasn't stopped them from increasing administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or