Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

The 12 biggest companies paying workers the least

With the Great Recession over, not only are many of the companies posting record profits, but executive pay remains extremely high.Meantime, the federal minimum wage earned by many workers at those companies is worth 30% less than it was in 1968 in purchasing power
. . .

With jobs so hard to get, an employee cannot quit, so most just tough it out, but some, like Walmart employees, are starting to strike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
That's how they manage to stay the biggest companies. If they paid more they would not be making as much money for their investors, and would have to either close stores or reduce staff. If these minimum wage employees could get a better job they would, without these employers they would be out of work.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,617 times
I honestly didnt expect macys to be there, in my head was definitely wal mart and fast food chains.

if these workers want better pay, its either get a education, get another job, or quit. someone else will take their places. its not fair, but its life.

hemlock made a good point about profits. if these companies are not here, people would have no jobs at all if companies cant stay afloat.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
With the Great Recession over
lol

The low wages is good information for investing purposes, thx.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM

344 posts, read 427,703 times
Quote:

With the Great Recession over, not only are many of the companies posting record profits, but executive pay remains extremely high.Meantime, the federal minimum wage earned by many workers at those companies is worth 30% less than it was in 1968 in purchasing power
. . .

With jobs so hard to get, an employee cannot quit, so most just tough it out, but some, like Walmart employees, are starting to strike.
I hope I dont offend anyone, but if you work at Wal-Mart, how much do you expect to make? Should a Wal-Mart worker with limited skills make the same as a skilled worker?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:

. . .

Most of those jobs are low skill. Really, how much do you expect to be paid for standing at a cash register that does all your thinking for you, and all you have to do is press the pretty picture?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:06 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
I hope I dont offend anyone, but if you work at Wal-Mart, how much do you expect to make? Should a Wal-Mart worker with limited skills make the same as a skilled worker?
Agreed

Most workers at union shops seem to think so. What skill does a union grocery store checker have a WM checker doesn't.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Stories like these point out profits, CEO salaries but tend to forget the obvious:

1. Restaurants (fast food) all offer low price meals, not $39 Steaks. You can't expect to go get lunch for $4 and the cashier, the food prep people and the janitor all making $22 an hour. Restaurants that have waiters/waitresses/bartenders get low wages and then "tipping" makes up the rest of the wage. Not too sure how many employees at mid-level restaurants are making $8 an hour.

2. Clerks/Cashiers/Stock persons = low wage jobs. I think it would be great if everyone made $20 an hour/$800 a week/40K a year but hey that isn't reality. If you don't like the job wage, don't take it/apply for it. It isn't like they took the job thinking $45 an hour to be a Walmart cashier and then the big bad Walmart slashed the wage by 80% and said take it or leave it.

This is America, don't want low wages, think you are worth more.....GREAT, go start your own business and make all the money you want! But I will be very interested to know if you are going to pay your first cashier/clerk $18 an hour with full benefits just because you think it would be more fair.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
This is a class warfare thread. I'm sick of people attacking successful people. Notice it is a select rich people who are actually encouraging class welfare. Why is that.. what is in it for them?

When is the president going to be done pitting americans against each other. If people want better pay then go to school to get skills that is worth more pay.

Why is it someone else's responsibility to make me rich?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,297 times
the president (and politicians in general) like pitting people against eachother bc it distracts from the **** they're doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business