U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM

4,683 posts, read 5,832,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My husband and I own a small business and we have a young person who works part time for us. She is a very nice, very bright 19 year old who works very hard and does a wonderful job when she is here. The problem is that she is absent from work about one day every three weeks for a myriad of reasons. Sometimes she has a "migraine" and sometimes she has an urinary tract infection. Once in a while she has to take her mother to or pick up her brother from the doctor. Since she started working here last spring she has had 4 - 5 colds or other bouts of being sickness where she had to call in and stay home.

She parties pretty hard and I suspect that some of the "illnesses" is due to being hung over or just feeling bad from staying up too late. My philosophy is that if you have a job, you go to work. Period. End of sentence. And if you aren't sick enough for the emergency room, you better be at work.

My husband, on the other hand, cuts her slack every time. In fact, she has come to work "sick" and he has sent her home. When she comes to work "sick" on my watch, I make her work and in two or three hours she is fine and doesn't complain (or groan or whine) any more. I do this because I think she is just slacking, and so far that hypothesis has proven right.

I am really sick of this and I would like to give her an ultimatum to shape up or she will have to ship out. My husband, on the other hand, feels that this is unreasonable. He says that people do get sick. Yes, they do. But some of this sickness is the aforementioned hang over, and I do not agree that being hung over is a reasonable excuse. And yes, I have been hung over once or twice in my life, and I went to work.

What are your thoughts?

20yrsinBranson
You say she works very hard and does a wonderful job when she is here but then you say she comes to work "sick" on your watch, and you make her work and in two or three hours she is fine and doesn't complain (or groan or whine) any more. So which is it? She is part-time, bright, works hard anddoes a wonderful job when she is there. Are her absences causing a problem? How do you cover her absences? If her absences are a problem, would it make sense to hire another part-time person? Would you rather have a part-time person who shows up every day and is dumb, doesn't work hard and doesn't do a very good job? Hire another part-time person and let them compete for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
The question is if you can make do without her one day every three weeks or not.

Some businesses can't function without certain people there every single day. And some businesses will not allow ANY days off period! (Employees HATE working at those businesses.)

It seems to me everyone needs an extra day off every now and then. Some people prefer to work every single day of the year and then take 2 weeks vacation. Others prefer to spread those days off throughout the year.

And to me it does not matter why an employee needs a day off. People are sometimes sick, sometimes need more sleep because they were up late the night before, or may have business matters to take care of. Whatever!

I think she would be a happy employee if you made some sort of arrangement where she can take these days off without worrying. And only if you can do this.
This is the most sensible, mature response on this thread. Some employers like to treat people the same lousy way they have been treated as employees. If her absences are causing a problem, do something about it. If you need someone to cover more hours, hire someone in addition to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM

663 posts, read 2,385,872 times
A parallel would be an electric provider randomly and frequently failing to deliver service for whatever reasons.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM

3,018 posts, read 5,090,427 times
It sounds to me like you could have a MUCH worse employee working for you. Does she give advanced notice when she won't be coming in? Or is it all the same day? I would address this issue with her and let her know that she is being watched. If it keeps happening then I would look into replacing her.

It sounds like she may not even be aware that this is upsetting you since your husband lets her get away with it basically. Really, she sounds like a good employee and the absences are a testament to her age. She probably has more fun things to do besides work which is why she is calling in all of the time. I think you would have similar problems and maybe even more with somebody else doing the exact same job.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Personally, she sees your husband as an easy mark. And will manipulate this situation. She will call in at will. Because there are no consequences. Is she attractive? Be careful here...the fact that your spouse wants to cut her slack is interesting.
I was thinking the same thing. Does he leave for extended periods as well?

Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,434,303 times
As a recovering alcoholic a red flag went up when you said she would miss work because of a hangover. If you are correct it means that alcohol is the problem and she needs to deal with that. Its difficult to tell a young person that they have a drinking problem so I dont know if i would confront her like that. I would however not waste a second in canning her arse if it was making my life difficult and me unhappy. Pick up the slack until you can hire someone else and run the business the way you want, not the way some teenager with a drinking problem decides for you.

I ran a quick lube for years and was dealing with alot of young men who i couldnt pay but a buck over min. The first thing I told anyone I planned on hiring is "YOU HAVE TO SHOW UP EVERYDAY YOU ARE SCHDULED TO WORK" . I made it very clear that was pri one with me. I rarely had any attendance problems and I think they liked the leadership because my workers didnt end up coming in on their days off or having to pickup the slack when someones home on a puker.

And I couldnt afford to give them much vacation but after a year 1 week paid and after two 2 weeks paid. But if they needed time and gave me notice I would get on the floor or adjsut the schedule to let them take time they needed for what ever reason. I never had any problem with attendance because I was firm and held everyone to the same standard including myself.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,437,462 times
i would just give her one more warning and then fire her. Really, there should've been a policy written about that when she first started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business