Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:13 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I have mixed feelings on this. Realistically, there are probably some people who want to work, who maybe even need to work that day to cover their bills. However, there will be mothers and fathers who miss Christmas morning with their kids because they have to work or be fired, and that's a shame no matter where these parents work. I read an article recently on the impossible task of making a living working at McDonald's. It's was very interesting - though I can't remember where I read it.
I was thinking about the same thing: there are those who do not celebrate Christmas, but they could still plan of having the food they need in the house and not depend on eating out, but then, the other side of the coin enters into it: about 5 years ago we had spent Christmas with our daughter and son in law, then in Florida. Because of our granddauthers need to return home on Christmas day to work the following, we did all our celebrating on christmas Eve and left on Christmas day as well. We were spending the night in Amarillo Tx. Thank God for Furrs, otherwise Christmas dinner would have been cold sandwhiches in our hotel room. I retired from a large hotel call center and we did work on Christmas. Somehow, we survived. I think I only had to work one Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There is no reason to do it. This is just greed, yes GREED, just because you can make more money doesn't mean you should especially when other things are more important like giving people the opportunity to spend time with their family and have a day off. Of course their employees could use more money but no one wants to work on Christmas and there is no reason they should have to. They work hard enough and miss every other holiday so it's not too much to ask them to close on Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you need food during travel, pack a lunch, it's not that hard. These restaurants were never open in the past and people seemed to survive so spare me the argument that people need to have these places stay open.
but what about the people who are traveling, are they expected not to eat?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

831 posts, read 1,575,481 times
Not every one celebrates Christmas, so those people wouldn't mind working. They should pay extra if you work that day and maybe do a shorter shift.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,983,690 times
Presumably if you are working on Christmas day its only an 8 hour shift and actual Christmas festivities can be rescheduled to different hours of the day...
The ones i feel for are our military personal serving in areas and situations that wont get them home for months.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,942,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but what about the people who are traveling, are they expected not to eat?
Believe it or not, there was a time when almost nobody worked on Christmas. You couldn't go grocery shopping, let alone find a Big Mac or a latte.

Folks in those days did something novel. They planned ahead. You know, like a small cooler with some sandwiches, fruit and drinks. Hot stuff in Thermoses.

Amazing we survived w/o Mickey D's being open, ain't it.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM

15,939 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Volunteers, yeah right, not around here.
Eight hour shifts, yeah right, try a ten hour shift, followed by nine hours off and then come right back in for the day after returns.
Just so people that couldn't be bothered to get their shopping done on time can come in and buy last minute garbage.
With the inevitable "Gosh, it's too bad you have to work on Christmas"
Bah, HUMBUG!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,957,933 times
My son volunteered to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and got Thanksgiving and New Years Eve off in exchange. He get's off work at 5pm Christmas Eve and we will have dinner at 6 with the family so nobody is missing anything. On Christmas Day we are going to see a movie (Le Miz!) and then hit up a sushi place. I don't understand the faux outrage people project about anything/anyone working on Christmas. Get over your rightous selves.

My dad was a firefighter, he didn't keep regular hours so as a result we are all very flexable about our holidays and get togethers. There is nothing we can do on Dec 25th than can't be done on Dec 28th . We did that a few years back when one of us ended up in the hospital for emergency surgery 2 days before Christmas. It's NOT the end of the world. And my chickenpox on Thanksgiving 15 years ago didn't stop us from stuffing our faces a week later. Birthdays happen sometime during the month we were born, the day isn't important. ETC!!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,888,472 times
I live in Pennsylvania. Growing up, we had Blue Laws, which declared Sunday as a day of rest and nothing - nothing - was open except for the candy store around the corner. And church.

When those laws faded away and stores began to open on what had previously been a day of rest, people complained that "nothing is sacred". Funny. They were the very people showing up to shop. Go figure.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Just pay employees double time and ask for volunteers.
If this is the basis for deciding who works or to be open at all... then fine.

Otherwise... (as with TG) I'm really opposed to the push to be open 24/365.
The world and even these restaurants will survive without them being open just fine

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,983,168 times
If this is the first year they are doing it, they will learn from it. If it's profitable, good for them. If no one shows up, then maybe they'll shut down next year. I think it's a great thing they are doing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business