U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 18 days ago)

13,399 posts, read 11,902,075 times

Advertisements

I don't think baby Jesus will mind if people eat a burger on his birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 AM

33,175 posts, read 39,157,360 times
In my neck of the woods most all stores are closed until around noon on Christmas day then its business as usual..

Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM

879 posts, read 876,168 times
Lots of grocery stores and Starbucks and such are open on Christmas day, they're open for maybe 85% of their normal opening hours. I never minded working Christmas Eve when I was working at a grocery store, I usually got out of work around 5:30 or so and that was plenty of time to make it for dinner. I did find it rich when customers would say smarmy crap like "gee, too bad you have to work Christmas Eve!" ...yeah...you don't actually care that I am here working and away from my family (hypothetically, if it were an inconvenience)....in fact you are happy we're open so you can buy your last minute stuff since you didn't plan ahead...so shush...haha. But of course I'd just smile and laugh it off.

I actually don't find it so horrible, I would work Christmas day if my employer was open. I literally have nothing else to do. I live far away from my family. I bet there are many others in my situation that wouldn't mind making $$$$ at work instead of sitting at home. (not going to complain about a day off though!) Then again, I am not a fan of trampling on others' family celebrations, I'd hate to take parents away from their kids Christmas morning. I guess if it was volunteer only, it would be okay. But we all know that won't always be the case in retail/customer service land.

I also have friends in the service, though, and while some of them are lucky enough to be stationed stateside, not all of them are...I am more upset for them, imagine spending several Christmases in a row away from your family and friends in a war zone. Suddenly that 7-330 shift doesn't seem so bad!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,070 times
MMMM Burgers with Green pickles and Red Ketchup. What could be more Christmas than that?!??!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
When McDonald's stunned analysts last Monday by posting U.S. sales growth of 2.5% in November after a drop of 2.2% the prior month, one contributor went untouted: The company gained sales by urging franchisees to open on Thanksgiving, a holiday during which many of them traditionally close.

McDonald's Pushes Franchisees to Stay Open on Christmas | News - Advertising Age

lol, where's the outrage that was seen when Target, Walmart, etc. opened up at 8 PM On Thanksgiving. Those same people better be here yelling and screaming.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM

348 posts, read 358,915 times
I wouldnt open, period.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM

10,165 posts, read 18,156,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post

I also have friends in the service, though, and while some of them are lucky enough to be stationed stateside, not all of them are...I am more upset for them, imagine spending several Christmases in a row away from your family and friends in a war zone. Suddenly that 7-330 shift doesn't seem so bad!
That's what professional soldiers are paid to do and they should have no expectation of spending holidays at home. One can't compare the trade of soldiering with working at McDonalds.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:59 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,776,883 times
Is there a war on Federal holidays now?

Is this part of the War on Christmas?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,867,748 times
Tacky, immoral and very un Christian. I think the corporate morons who decided this should be required to work Christmas Day. Instead it will be someone like a teen or a young parent who won't be home with their family. If it is totally optional fine but it never is. I understand places like hospitals and police stations being open but not this.

Quite frankly I am tired of the war against Christmas. I get it, not everyone is Christian but they have to respect my views if I am expected to respect theirs. I also think it is disgusting when companies like Starbucks is open Christmas.

Btw if I worked a company and they required me to work Christmas I would quit. I am a Christian and would feel they were discriminating against me for that.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 AM

4,174 posts, read 2,787,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Tacky, immoral and very un Christian. I think the corporate morons who decided this should be required to work Christmas Day. Instead it will be someone like a teen or a young parent who won't be home with their family. If it is totally optional fine but it never is. I understand places like hospitals and police stations being open but not this.

Quite frankly I am tired of the war against Christmas. I get it, not everyone is Christian but they have to respect my views if I am expected to respect theirs. I also think it is disgusting when companies like Starbucks is open Christmas.

Btw if I worked a company and they required me to work Christmas I would quit. I am a Christian and would feel they were discriminating against me for that.
First of all, you should not "be expected" to respect other people's views, you should desire mutual respect.

If Christmas were being treated as a Christian holiday it would be one day long and have absolutely nothing to do with trees or Santa or gifts. It would be a time of contemplation.

And if everyone where you worked was Christian and someone had to keep an eye on things (think air traffic control, police, fireman, nuclear power plant...) you would bail on your responsibility?

There is no war on Christmas, you might want to read a few books about what real religious persecution is all about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or