Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:47 AM

8,579 posts, read 9,049,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Believe it or not, there was a time when almost nobody worked on Christmas. You couldn't go grocery shopping, let alone find a Big Mac or a latte.

Folks in those days did something novel. They planned ahead. You know, like a small cooler with some sandwiches, fruit and drinks. Hot stuff in Thermoses.

Amazing we survived w/o Mickey D's being open, ain't it.
The horror of it all! Filling a thermos?.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
I don't see what the big deal is.

1) Many people no longer subscribe to the Christian roots of Christmas. Nowadays it is mainly about the gift giving and dinner with the extended family. The United States is no longer a Christian nation.

2) Many people are traveling and may wish to have a quick meal on the go.

3) Many families are busy making their multi-course dinner and sending someone to grab McDonald's is quicker than stopping to make lunch.

We have several nearby McDonald's locations here on Long Island that are open for Christmas and Thanksgiving on their normal operating schedule. Additionally virtually all McDonald's locations are open for at least part of the day on Thanksgiving. I just drove past one of them with a big sign outside saying "Open 24 hours on Thanksgiving & Christmas".

Last but not least ... a Quarter pounder with cheese certainly beats the hell out of Chinese food.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,856,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
First of all, you should not "be expected" to respect other people's views, you should desire mutual respect.

If Christmas were being treated as a Christian holiday it would be one day long and have absolutely nothing to do with trees or Santa or gifts. It would be a time of contemplation.

And if everyone where you worked was Christian and someone had to keep an eye on things (think air traffic control, police, fireman, nuclear power plant...) you would bail on your responsibility?

There is no war on Christmas, you might want to read a few books about what real religious persecution is all about!
The atheists and the like do not respect Christians so I do not respect them back. In fact I despise anyone anti Christian and will fight back once they start their wars against my faith. Being Christian and giving gifts is celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Being a cop or a nurse is different than working fast food. Cop or hospitals are a need. No one NEEDS to eat fast food on Christmas because there are alternatives.

And yes there is a war of Christmas and Christians. Many of us can no longer say Merry Christmas because it might offend people. Who might it offend? atheists, Muslims and the like. Sorry but am not going to stop saying Merry Christmas. This country was a Christian country and I will not bend to cater to other people. Btw, I also have Jewish ancestry and none of them could care less whether someone is closed or not or if someone says Merry Christmas.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,351,773 times
I don't have a problem with stores staying open and taking VOLUNTEERS to work on Christmas Day (and hopefully giving them 1.5x or 2x pay per hour). What I despise is when they basically tell employees, "Work or you're fired," on a national holiday.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM

2,087 posts, read 4,260,390 times
[quote=WIHS2006;27427955]I don't see what the big deal is.

1) Many people no longer subscribe to the Christian roots of Christmas. Nowadays it is mainly about the gift giving and dinner with the extended family. The United States is no longer a Christian nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Tacky, immoral and very un Christian. I think the corporate morons who decided this should be required to work Christmas Day. Instead it will be someone like a teen or a young parent who won't be home with their family. If it is totally optional fine but it never is. I understand places like hospitals and police stations being open but not this.

Quite frankly I am tired of the war against Christmas. I get it, not everyone is Christian but they have to respect my views if I am expected to respect theirs. I also think it is disgusting when companies like Starbucks is open Christmas.

Btw if I worked a company and they required me to work Christmas I would quit. I am a Christian and would feel they were discriminating against me for that.
Christmas has it's roots in pagan traditions. Baby Jesus most likely wasn't born in Dec. The link is from a Christian website, feel free to pick it apart ..

Was Jesus Born on December 25

Was Jesus born on December 25? There is no evidence for this date. < snip > The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially < snip >This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice.

The apostles in the Bible predicted that some Christians would adopt pagan beliefs to enable them to make their religion more palatable to the pagans around them. < >

I was raised Catholic and I'm aware of why Christians celebrate Christmas, why aren't you?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,856,170 times
I am aware of why Christians celebrate Christmas because I celebrate it, including going to church. However this country IS a Christian country.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,983,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If they pay double time and don't work the people too hard, thats okay. I'd say just have the drive thru open since they probably will get a fair amount of oddballs showing up.
It's okay whether they get paid double time or not. What determines whether it is okay is whether customers come to the door. If there is a demand for McDonald's to be open, then that demand should be met. But if there is no demand, then the excessive supply is a waste.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I am aware of why Christians celebrate Christmas because I celebrate it, including going to church. However this country IS a Christian country.
Actually, it's a secular country. I am very much love the bible myself, but understand that being considered a Christian country is a horrible thing for both, society, and economics.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The atheists and the like do not respect Christians so I do not respect them back. In fact I despise anyone anti Christian and will fight back once they start their wars against my faith. Being Christian and giving gifts is celebrating the birth of Jesus.

Being a cop or a nurse is different than working fast food. Cop or hospitals are a need. No one NEEDS to eat fast food on Christmas because there are alternatives.

And yes there is a war of Christmas and Christians. Many of us can no longer say Merry Christmas because it might offend people. Who might it offend? atheists, Muslims and the like. Sorry but am not going to stop saying Merry Christmas. This country was a Christian country and I will not bend to cater to other people. Btw, I also have Jewish ancestry and none of them could care less whether someone is closed or not or if someone says Merry Christmas.
You need to read up on the founding fathers of this nation before walking around saying things like "this is a christian country".

Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
That the majority of people in this country are Christians does not make it a Christian country in any official sense. Nor in a social sense either since there are so many kinds of Christians, most of whom are heretics and thus no true Christians anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business