U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,149,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Did you know that Halloween and Valentine's Day were once "Christian religious holidays" too?
[quote=leanansidhex;27428912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is.

1) Many people no longer subscribe to the Christian roots of Christmas. Nowadays it is mainly about the gift giving and dinner with the extended family. The United States is no longer a Christian nation.

Christmas has it's roots in pagan traditions. Baby Jesus most likely wasn't born in Dec. The link is from a Christian website, feel free to pick it apart ..

Was Jesus Born on December 25

Was Jesus born on December 25? There is no evidence for this date. < snip > The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially < snip >This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice.

The apostles in the Bible predicted that some Christians would adopt pagan beliefs to enable them to make their religion more palatable to the pagans around them. < >
Halloween definitely pagan ... Valentines Day possibly pagan: Valentine's Day &mdash; History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 PM

8,836 posts, read 14,253,287 times
[quote=leanansidhex;27449128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post

Halloween definitely pagan ... Valentines Day possibly pagan: Valentine's Day &mdash; History.com Articles, Video, Pictures and Facts
Uh, Halloween and Valentine's Day may have started out "pagan" (as may have been Christmas (winter solstice celebrations) and Passover/Easter (coming of spring celebrations)), but the former was essentially "All Saints Day Eve" and the latter was originally "SAINT Valentine's Day"

Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,867,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Ive never known a single person who gets offended if you say "Merry Christmas". Some people recognize not everyone believes the same things they do and act accordingly. I know plenty of people who are not religious, yet treat everyone with respect. I also know a lot of hard core born again Christians who consider all other Christians "cultists".

It is the arrogance and aggressiveness (marked in red) that causes people to believe you are not to be trusted!

Get over yourself, you are not special.
Many people are offended if one says Merry Christmas otherwise the stores wouldn't be required to say Happy Holidays. How about when groups protest Christmas displays and many do.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,167,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many people are offended if one says Merry Christmas otherwise the stores wouldn't be required to say Happy Holidays. How about when groups protest Christmas displays and many do.
I don't get why people are offended by "Merry Christmas". The beauty of Christmas is that it's a wonderful holiday that is becoming more secular everyday. The idea that people relate the words "Merry Christmas" to something religious rather than a day of family, food, and giving is absurd.

That being said, Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,934,260 times
Forgive me for not reading all the thread but I'm a bit mixed on the issue. If I was a McD's franchise owner, I'd simply put it up to a vote of employees on if they wanted to be open on Christmas day or not. If the majority wanted to be open and I had enough volunteers to cover the shifts, I guess why NOT be open? On the other hand, if most employees wanted off and I didn't have the number of volunteers needed to run my business, I'd simply shut down for Christmas. Obviously I think any respectable franchise owner should pay their employees double time PLUS maybe a nice holiday card or even a small $20 bonus or something. My personal feelings on the issue.

I personally refuse to work any major holiday and I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to come in until the Monday AFTER Christmas. My company basically gave the majority of salaried employees the entire week off and said see you on the 31st. I also decided to take off the first few days of that week to see some friends I haven't seen in a while so I have a nice 12 day vacation ahead .

Old 12-23-2012, 03:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,149,899 times
[quote=7 Wishes;27450020]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhex View Post

Uh, Halloween and Valentine's Day may have started out "pagan" (as may have been Christmas (winter solstice celebrations) and Passover/Easter (coming of spring celebrations)), but the former was essentially "All Saints Day Eve" and the latter was originally "SAINT Valentine's Day"
Re: Halloween, uh no.

How Did a Pagan Holiday Become a 'Christian' Celebration? - Good News Magazine | United Church of God

"Originally Halloween was a pagan festival oriented around fire, the dead and the powers of darkness. Most everyone knows that Halloween takes place on Oct. 31. Far fewer, however, understand the connection between Halloween and the next day on the calendar, the festival of All Hallows' or All Saints' Day, celebrated by some churches and denominations Nov. 1."

"Pope Gregory's choice of Nov. 1 for this celebration was significant. Author Lesley Bannatyne explains: "That the date coincided with Samhain was no accident: the Church was still trying to absorb pagan celebrations taking place at this time..."

Samhain pronunciation: How to pronounce Samhain in Irish

How Samhain Became All Hallows' E'en and Halloween - Samhain or Halloween in Ireland

Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM

2,990 posts, read 4,888,901 times
I wouldn't much like to have to work on Christmas day, but then, I guess that's why I work an 8 to 5 job in an office, where you can pretty much count on getting your holidays off.

Actually, the previous place I worked was a small entrepreneural company, which was also an 8 to 5 job, but it was much more subject to require late night, weekend, and holiday work time. As a salaried employee, there was no additional compensation for these extra hours/days, except for company paid holidays, which would be given as deferred time off.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the number of places closing early on Christmas Eve. I live in a large city, and I think most retailers are closed by 6 pm on Christmas Eve, and that includes most dining establishments. Due to the effort required to prepare a large dinner on Christmas Day, my family in previous years tried to get together and eat out on Christmas Eve evening, but we would just end up back at home after driving around in vain trying to find a place that was open.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
How about when groups protest Christmas displays and many do.
Christmas displays on public property not Christmas displays on church or private property.
This country is about inclusiveness not division.

If Christians want Christian displays of the season on public property then they also must include Menorahs for the Jewish faith, symbols for Ramadan and displays for Kwanzaa.
Public property means exactly that. No one group receives preferential treatment when it comes to displays of faith.

Your anger and obvious thinly veiled bigotry both churn my stomach and solidifies my disgust for certain Christians that are anything but.

As far as Mc Donalds goes. If their open on Christmas near my house I WILL go and order my Big Mac.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,934,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Christmas displays on public property not Christmas displays on church or private property.
This country is about inclusiveness not division.

If Christians want Christian displays of the season on public property then they also must include Menorahs for the Jewish faith, symbols for Ramadan and displays for Kwanzaa.
Public property means exactly that. No one group receives preferential treatment when it comes to displays of faith.

Your anger and obvious thinly veiled bigotry both churn my stomach and solidifies my disgust for certain Christians that are anything but.

As far as Mc Donalds goes. If their open on Christmas near my house I WILL go and order my Big Mac.
When I was growing up, then-Governor of South Dakota, Bill Janklow, put a nativity scene in the Capitol Building in Pierre and the ACLU was up in arms about it. So in the four corners of the Capitol were a nativity scene for Christians, a Menorah for the Jewish faith, a moon and stars for Muslims, and for fourth corner was left barren for those who have nothing to believe in. I always thought it was pretty clever.

At my office, we have a display of the nativity scene and nobody is up in arms about it. I truly think some people have nothing better to do than whine and moan about Christian symbols in public places; our nation was founded as a Christian nation for crying out loud!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,468,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
our nation was founded as a Christian nation for crying out loud!
Incorrect.
This nation was not founded as a Christian nation nor were the founding fathers Christian they were Deist's.

The definition of Deism is this;

Deism\De”ism\ (d[=e]“[i^]z’m), n. [L. deus god: cf. F.
d['e]isme. See Deity.]
The doctrine or creed of a deist; the belief or system of
those who acknowledge the existence of one God, but deny
revelation.
Note: Deism is the belief in natural religion only, or those
truths, in doctrine and practice, which man is to
discover by the light of reason, independent of any
revelation from God. Hence, deism implies infidelity,
or a disbelief in the divine origin of the Scriptures.

For further enlightenment and education on this subject please reference the following material;

Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians

The Christian Nation Myth

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

Daily Kos: America was NOT founded on Christianity

DEISM AND THE FOUNDING FATHERS | Citizen Tom

Deism and the Founding of the United States, Divining America, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center

I trust this clarifies the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or