U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2012, 02:02 AM
 
Location: Middle Earth
491 posts, read 646,819 times
Reputation: 194

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes it's their job to work. They know that when they take the job and with any luck they will not be in those kinds of jobs forever, but everyone pays their dues and has to do things they don't want to do at some point in their lives.
Like it or not we live in a 24/7/365 world with all sorts of people in it. That's what changed and that's not going away. And 30 years ago some places were open on Christmas and people had to work. I know, I did it myself.

So just because one of the part of their work stinks they should accept it? If an employer is doing something illegal that affects the employee the employee should just sit by and let it happen? We do not live in a 24/7/ 365 world considering store close all the time and on Christmas most stores are closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
 
774 posts, read 1,342,109 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And you don't have to be a Christian and celebrate Christmas to appreciate a holiday and having time off regardless if you have a family.
There are some people who will jump at the chance to work on Christmas or other holidays because of the opportunity for extra pay. However, if there wasn't extra money involved, then I'm sure most people would like to stay home with their families even if they don't celebrate Christmas. Just the fact that there is a day where most people are off makes it a good time for families to spend time with each other. Honestly, when work is concerned, things are never TRULY voluntary. If you say you'd rather be off when your company asks for volunteers, your managers will still make a mental note of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

And let's be realistic, the people working will be blue collar people. You are not going to see many bank presidents working that day. Even doctors with the exception of the ones on call will NOT be working those days. The President of the United States is vacationing Hawaii during the Fiscal Cliff talks. The educated white collar individuals better known as "rich people" don't work on Christmas, it's the poor who will work those shifts. Don't they deserve a day off? Or is it their job to work at McDonalds and Starbucks so the rich travelers at their airports can get a Big Mac and a latte? Oh but they want to work those days, how silly of me

I agree. I feel less bad for cops, firefighters, healthcare workers because they know that their services are essential. Yeah, they are giving up being at home with their family, but they're out helping that guy with a heart attack or keeping criminals at bay. On the other hand, a worker at Starbucks is missing being with their kids just so someone can have a drink. It's unfair to say people have a choice about taking a job, but in this economy, that isn't really true. People work so they can survive, even if it means having to work on holidays so they don't get fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM
 
168 posts, read 180,109 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
They should be open. They are in business to make money, so if they can make more money by being open on holidays, then they should. I will be driving 5 1/2 hours on Christmas day, so if I see a McDonald's open, I will stop and get a Filet O' Fish.
Absolutely not. I'm sure if you keep all stores open 24/7 you will be making money, but does does not mean you should stay open. Employees are not your slaves to work and stay open on important holidays to serve your need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM
 
4,174 posts, read 2,785,137 times
Reputation: 2629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Many people are offended if one says Merry Christmas otherwise the stores wouldn't be required to say Happy Holidays. How about when groups protest Christmas displays and many do.
Nope! Get your facts right. Placing religious displays on government property has been challenged on constitutional grounds (separation of church and state). An entirely different concept. Stores do not "require" people to say "happy Holidays" as some sort of assault, but so as not to exclude the many potential customers who may not be Christian. Simply good business practice.

Every street, business and public arena in America is emblazoned with Christmas displays for more than a month each year. Just because everyone does not believe in the same supernatural ideals that you do is not a "war". Perhaps, it somehow diminishes your faith because not everyone is on your bandwagon.

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. I would not interfere with any one's religion, either to strengthen it or to weaken it. I am not able to believe one's religion can affect his hereafter one way or the other, no matter what that religion may be. But it may easily be a great comfort to him in this life--hence it is a valuable possession to him."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
1,413 posts, read 3,733,363 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Absolutely not. I'm sure if you keep all stores open 24/7 you will be making money, but does does not mean you should stay open. Employees are not your slaves to work and stay open on important holidays to serve your need.
Christmas is not an important holiday. It is not the 4th of July, Veterans Day or Memorial Day. Those are important holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,144,222 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Christmas is not an important holiday. It is not the 4th of July, Veterans Day or Memorial Day. Those are important holidays.
And Superbowl Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top