Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

For the next few months, make a habit out of buying everything you need through Ebay if possible. Take advantage of the fact that Ebay favors buyers, and build up some reputation points as a buyer first. Once you have a decent amount of rep, you can sell easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They have told me that ebay has changed a lot since they started and ebay makes it very difficult for sellers. Now, commercial sellers have taken over, and ebay is trying to copy Amazon.
You are at a disadvantage for feedback issues and at the mercy of dishonest buyers. I feel the ship has sailed to be successful on ebay, but I wish you luck.
This.

I used to sell products of a technical nature that I made myself on eBay and also on my own website, mostly for pocket money (not a regular income). Over several years, I built a reputation in the niche I served. Over that same time period, eBay got more expensive and less seller-friendly, and I finally decided that it just wasn't worth it anymore - and my gross margins were over 30% on the products I made. I decided to stop selling on eBay and sell through my site exclusively, and was very happy with that decision.

A friend of mine also sold on eBay, but his business was jewelry - tons of competition and razor thin margins. Between eBay and PayPal fees, eBay made significantly more than he did on each sale.

My advice is to NOT try to make money on eBay. It's fine for getting rid of items you own and don't need anymore, or selling a car or something, but to base a business model on a company known for being very unfriendly to sellers is financial suicide these days, IMO.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
I've been on E-Bay since 1998, and it has changed. I sell programmed chips for fuel injection, and use it only for exposure, because I have my own website. E-Bay takes 9%, and Paypal takes 4% of my sale, and they let corporations flood the search with crap. I make 1 or 2 sales per month from them.
It used to be people would sell items from Amazon on E-Bay and profit from shipping costs. I always thought that to be too much work for a sale.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 10,443 times
There are many ways to sell or buy anything by eBay. There are so many companies, which are doing business by eBay.I also sell or buy a lots of things on it, and all the times it was benficial for me.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 10,443 times
There are a lots of companies which providing eBay for sell or buy things. like; Wallmart, and many other. I also sell or buy many things by eBay and all the time it was benficial for me. You can aslo get benifit from it, but please be carefull before going to deal with any firm.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,482 times
How about selling old items in Ebay..Will it be a worth to sale? I have used computers and some other electronic goods..Please let me know!!!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
You have to have something to sell. Something that everybody wants and few people are selling on ebay. What is that item? I don't know. Your success depends upon how clever you are at discovering that item. Nobody is going to tell you. If they know what the item is, they can sell it themselves and make the money for themselves.

I do have something to sell on eBay, but it was so much trouble, it wasn't worth it. I could not get the photo to come up, even with multiple calls to the help line. They just kept assuring me it would appear. Well, it never did and you can't sell without a photo. My friends who sell on eBay have a lot of problems with dishonest buyers and eBay lets the crooked buyers get away with effectively stealing from the sellers.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelickes View Post
How about selling old items in Ebay..Will it be a worth to sale? I have used computers and some other electronic goods..Please let me know!!!
Computers are very low priced on Craigslist. I'd never buy a computer on Ebay.

You may have trouble selling those on Ebay.
And it will cost you alot to ship them since they are so heavy.
I'd sell those locally, so they can come to you, and see the computer works, etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I sell as a hobby. Usually it's just junk I don't want to toss out. If you know how to list it, you can sell it. After 3-4 times of trying....it goes in the trash barrel.

Cleaning out years of crap from my attic and basement gives me some extra money in my pocket each month.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I sell as a hobby. Usually it's just junk I don't want to toss out. If you know how to list it, you can sell it. After 3-4 times of trying....it goes in the trash barrel.

Cleaning out years of crap from my attic and basement gives me some extra money in my pocket each month.
Same here. I've used eBay to finance a couple of vacations, a couple of Christmases, retire some debt, and buy a few needed items from eBay, pretty much just selling things from my youth that I had stored at my parents' house. I'll also occasionally use my knowledge of what sells well on eBay and scour the boxes of miscellaneous junk at auction that sell for a buck or two and make a little profit that way.

If I average three listings a day - maybe 15 minutes of work, less if the items are similar - and average just a couple of bucks per sale I can take in an extra $200 or so a month which at this point would be significant, but I have a hard time doing it consistently; I tend to go all out for awhile then go a month or two without listing anything at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business