U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 AM

8,719 posts, read 8,927,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If I average three listings a day - maybe 15 minutes of work, less if the items are similar - and average just a couple of bucks per sale I can take in an extra $200 or so a month which at this point would be significant, but I have a hard time doing it consistently; I tend to go all out for awhile then go a month or two without listing anything at all.

I'm about the same way. I'll throw some listings up in spurts depending on if i stumble across some saleable items in my basement, or parents attic.

I usually do about $200/month in selling junk. Once in a while, if i sell some old electronics like video games, or antique cameras, i can do a $400-500/month.

The money that comes in goes towards my studend loans to help pay those off. Added benefit is I get to clear out tons of space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,223,630 times
Selling on ebay sucks anymore, unless maybe you are selling direct from the factory in China which seems to be the trend lately.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 10-13-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,199,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Selling on ebay sucks anymore, unless maybe you are selling direct from the factory in China which seems to be the trend lately.
i did over 250k in sales on ebay last month off products i buy in the us and ship myself no drop shipping. ebay is a huge market you just have to know a good niche, have a good source and run a good ebay business

Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
i did over 250k in sales on ebay last month off products i buy in the us and ship myself no drop shipping. ebay is a huge market you just have to know a good niche, have a good source and run a good ebay business
Wish you could tell us what you sell and where you get your stuff to sell, but know you can't!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Wish you could tell us what you sell and where you get your stuff to sell, but know you can't!
lol, yeah obviously nobody wants to help anybody out with where to source products as your just bringing more competition to the market. what i can tell you is dont buy into any programs or anything where people claim to give you good sources for wholesale stuff or anything like that. if your able to buy the program so are a thousand other people who are going to be doignthe same thing as you.

i actually kind of stumbled onto my product through dumb luck. i was working at a retail business and noticed i got a lot of inquiries for products my company did not sell. i realized hey there's a market here. i started off on ebay making $50 a week and was happy with that as a little side hustle. well it continued to grow, i started a website in addition to ebay, the ebay market ebbs and flows but prices went up and margins got bigger on ebay, i found some better, cheaper, larger suppliers and things have really taken off. ive done over 200k on ebay the past 3 months which gross profit is about 20k, after expenses maybe 16k. cant complain.

i cant share my niche or products or sources but id be happy to answer any ebay questions as far as how to save on shipping, how to protect yourself as a seller or other things like that.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
lol, yeah obviously nobody wants to help anybody out with where to source products as your just bringing more competition to the market. what i can tell you is dont buy into any programs or anything where people claim to give you good sources for wholesale stuff or anything like that. if your able to buy the program so are a thousand other people who are going to be doignthe same thing as you.

i actually kind of stumbled onto my product through dumb luck. i was working at a retail business and noticed i got a lot of inquiries for products my company did not sell. i realized hey there's a market here. i started off on ebay making $50 a week and was happy with that as a little side hustle. well it continued to grow, i started a website in addition to ebay, the ebay market ebbs and flows but prices went up and margins got bigger on ebay, i found some better, cheaper, larger suppliers and things have really taken off. ive done over 200k on ebay the past 3 months which gross profit is about 20k, after expenses maybe 16k. cant complain.

i cant share my niche or products or sources but id be happy to answer any ebay questions as far as how to save on shipping, how to protect yourself as a seller or other things like that.
Completely understand!

My husband has a really good eye for antiques/vintage items. He has asked me to start listing his stuff on ebay as well. I do NOT have a good eye for what will sell, but I can list things for him.

That's great that you found a niche! If you can do it, so can others!

I'm interested in any advice you have to give!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Completely understand!

My husband has a really good eye for antiques/vintage items. He has asked me to start listing his stuff on ebay as well. I do NOT have a good eye for what will sell, but I can list things for him.

That's great that you found a niche! If you can do it, so can others!

I'm interested in any advice you have to give!
Just make sure to take good pictures, have as many pictures as possible, a good description and see what search terms other people are using for similar products as if your not putting your titls the type of stuff antique buyers are searching for nobody will find them. i think antiques is a great niche and its getting back to what ebay was all about from the start which i think people like. now days ebay is mostly drop shipped crap from china, its nice to find unique one of a kind items on there like antiques

Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM

If your looking for cheap inventory/merchandise storage auctions are a great place to go to find items and you get them at great prices. my new ebay strategy however is to deal with a consistant item i can stock and ideally something people buy on a regular basis. just look at silver for example. its an investment and there's always a maret for it so once you get a customer tehy will keep comming back buying maybe a few hundred bucks with every paycheck. its something you always have so people can return and buy.

storage auctions were great for me for a while but the downside is its random items. sure maybe some guy buys a stereo from me but everything else i have is clothes or toys and he's probably not interested in that stuff where as if i sold all stereo items he'd probably come back and buy spekaers or cords or other things to go with his stereo

Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM

24,178 posts, read 13,695,061 times
Quote:
If your looking for cheap inventory/merchandise storage auctions are a great place to go to find items and you get them at great prices. my new ebay strategy however is to deal with a consistant item i can stock and ideally something people buy on a regular basis. just look at silver for example. its an investment and there's always a maret for it so once you get a customer tehy will keep comming back buying maybe a few hundred bucks with every paycheck. its something you always have so people can return and buy.

storage auctions were great for me for a while but the downside is its random items. sure maybe some guy buys a stereo from me but everything else i have is clothes or toys and he's probably not interested in that stuff where as if i sold all stereo items he'd probably come back and buy spekaers or cords or other things to go with his stereo
Isn't there some risk though if price of silver starts going down?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:46 AM

7 posts, read 11,379 times
If you wish to grow your business more and more in ebay then definitely you have to be proactive and responsive to your interested buyers and you have to take on the charge that after making any kind of sales there you get a feedback from the customers. It would be an added advantage if you become the Power- Seller because then one can enjoy various kinds of facilities and special benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or