Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM

156 posts, read 175,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
me, real estate.

My mother: real estate

1 uncle insurance

1 aunt real estate

1 uncle oil

1 uncle department stores

1 cousin Cadillac dealership

1 uncle real estate

1 uncle law practice and into politics

3 cousins, computer programing and development

My ex -MIL, inherited

my ex-FIL rum running and hotels

1 of my son's cousins, vanilla plantation

The majority of those persons started out with absolutely nothing. The cousins did get their college paid for and 2 of those people got some family money to set them up, and, of course, the one inherited and then married for more.

I hope that helps.
not really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Hard work, the right knowledge, networking, sales skills, and leverage.... Leverage your own and other people's (bank) money for ownership - buy income-producing properties, businesses, etc.. Leverage your own and other people's skills (employees) to create/sell products to the market. Oh, and don't trust anyone, have everything in writing...CYA. And have a good accountant / tax attorney.
VERY true!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Working as a greeter at WalMart. $10 an hour from age 18 to 65 works out to just about an even Million. Live at home with mom and dad, and bank every paycheck.
How inspiring.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
On my birthday, my brother gives me a phone call saying that our mother has agreed to put me in the will. My older sister, who I don't talk to, was good enough to finally convince my mother to include me in the inheritance. Sucker that she is, she wanted all the kids to have an equal portion, despite the fact that she had taken care of my mother for 20 years and really did deserve more.

But that wasn't good enough for me. I conspired with another sister, who I also don't like (but who, like me, knows that the bottom line to life is MONEY!) to whisk my mother out of state and have her sign over power of attorney to me. My sleazeball sister managed to get it into my mother's head that she needed to leave right away because her phone line was being tapped, etc... You'd be amazed at how easily people with Alzheimer's are fooled.

Well the fooling went on as my sister and I took Mom right away to a scumbag attorney, who had everything prepared and which "legally" stated that no one else was to know anything more about her. All information was henceforth private.

Funny thing this business, since I hadn't spoken to my mother in years and years, but here I am in control of 4 to 5 million dollars. So, with that I clear out the CD's our mother had put in the other kids' names and invest heavily in stocks. You see, I'm not content with small, safe gains that typically make sense for older people. I wanted to capitalize on this newly found wealth of "mine".

Well, my a-hole brother contacted the police, social services, and adult protective services. You know what happened?

That's right: nothing.

So, that's how I made my first million.

Oh, by the way. The story is my brother's. I'm the a-hole who just had the opportunity to watch all of this unfold.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Hey brah, that's how you make it in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
On my birthday, my brother gives me a phone call saying that our mother has agreed to put me in the will. My older sister, who I don't talk to, was good enough to finally convince my mother to include me in the inheritance. Sucker that she is, she wanted all the kids to have an equal portion, despite the fact that she had taken care of my mother for 20 years and really did deserve more.

But that wasn't good enough for me. I conspired with another sister, who I also don't like (but who, like me, knows that the bottom line to life is MONEY!) to whisk my mother out of state and have her sign over power of attorney to me. My sleazeball sister managed to get it into my mother's head that she needed to leave right away because her phone line was being tapped, etc... You'd be amazed at how easily people with Alzheimer's are fooled.

Well the fooling went on as my sister and I took Mom right away to a scumbag attorney, who had everything prepared and which "legally" stated that no one else was to know anything more about her. All information was henceforth private.

Funny thing this business, since I hadn't spoken to my mother in years and years, but here I am in control of 4 to 5 million dollars. So, with that I clear out the CD's our mother had put in the other kids' names and invest heavily in stocks. You see, I'm not content with small, safe gains that typically make sense for older people. I wanted to capitalize on this newly found wealth of "mine".

Well, my a-hole brother contacted the police, social services, and adult protective services. You know what happened?

That's right: nothing.

So, that's how I made my first million.

Oh, by the way. The story is my brother's. I'm the a-hole who just had the opportunity to watch all of this unfold.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 AM

837 posts, read 1,798,440 times
Bought first property at 21. Sold for $200,000 profit few years later. Invested that.
Bought second property. Sold for $50,000 loss few years later, but did so with a $100,000 sign on bonus from another firm.
Saved the maximum into 401K and IRA every chance you get.
Went into a mix of ibanking / and self employed for a number of years and made > $200K a year by 22/23 years old.
Saved aggressively on that income.
Took a paycut when I left self-employment.
Got a graduate education and took a higher paying job.
Started a small graduate application consulting business.
Lived largely below my means.

Hit $1M net worth at about 31.

Conclusion: luck, hard work, live below your means, save as much as you can, luck, compound interest, some more hard work, lots more luck.

But in all honesty, luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
I don't have an answer for a million $$ but there is a common joke in the coffee biz on how to make $100,000: Start with a half million, then open a coffeehouse.

Been there.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:00 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had to come back and say this:

A million dollars is not very much money any more. Even if you could earn 10% on it, which is extremely difficult in this economy, that is only $100,000 a year in income and then once all the taxes are paid on it, you are left with about $50,000 to live on.

$50,000 is barely hanging onto middle class by the skin of your teeth and you'd have to be darn good at budgeting to live any way but austerely on that amount. No yachts, no European vacation, no Lamborghini.

So, OP, I suggest that you aim higher.
If you're making $100k and only netting $50k, you need a new accountant.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
My sister finally landed on boardwalk when i upgraded my houses to hotels

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
me and a friend get asked this alot. then we tell them, then they get angry and begin to argue with us. the problem u see is the eddy murphy school of success does not teach hard skills austerity and small property acquisition for the long run as viable means to achieve wealth. the american mind set-- people are rich bek they are white and lucky. friend, its learn a trade and buy small properties and pay them off. its not house flipping.
its not $180,000 in student loans. its not PhD. its hard work saving money and owning property and not ever selling it. its dodging the marriage divorce merry go round, staying away from the marital industrial complex. its staying clean and sober.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-11-2013 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business