Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

100 posts, read 288,956 times

Advertisements

So, we had a new employee start working for us about a week ago and he filled out his W-4 forms and NC-4 forms and claimed 8 exemptions and wrote the word exempt on his forms basically claiming he would have no tax liability and therefore I should deduct no FICA or state taxes from his checks. I double checked with him to make sure that was what he wanted and he assured me that he did. I don't want to overstep my boundaries and ask any more about his personal situation but it is so unusual and it really took my accountant by surprise too. So, my question is what would cause a person to be exempt from all tax liability? Does that automatically mean that he has 8 dependents or could the 8 exemptions be something else?

I am really new to keeping up with payroll responsibilities and I am just trying to prevent any future problems. Have any of you ever heard of a situation like this before where someone was exempt from all witholding taxes like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachgab View Post
So, we had a new employee start working for us about a week ago and he filled out his W-4 forms and NC-4 forms and claimed 8 exemptions...
This is not uncommon at all. All sorts of reasons may apply.

Quote:
and wrote the word exempt on his forms basically claiming he would have no tax liability
and therefore I should deduct no FICA or state taxes from his checks.
The Income taxes are one thing... the FICA is another matter.

Quote:
I double checked with him ...and it really took my accountant by surprise too.
What did the Accountant (and I hope that means the company CPA) say?
Specifically about the FICA...

Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM

36,998 posts, read 41,030,699 times
The numbers on the w4 are called allowances. They are neither dependents nor exemptions. It is merely a way to estimate how much tax to withhold, ideally resulting in the employee paying exactly what will be owed on April 15. The allowances do take into consideration the number of dependents and anticipated itemized deductions.

FICA and Medicare taxes are not optional. They must be withheld.

Your employee should be aware that if he is under withheld, there may be penalties involved. I do not think it would be out of line for you to ask why he feels he is "exempt". If it's because he just does not believe in paying taxes, there is a problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM

7,965 posts, read 12,657,740 times
He can claim as many exemptions on his federal tax as he wants. There ARE certain circumstances where people are exempt from payroll tax

Who Is Exempt From Social Security Payroll Taxes? | eHow.com

Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,269 posts, read 80,499,367 times
I have had people claiming 99. You don't know, and it's none of your business, what their situation is. It could be anything from having 14 kids to anticipating huge losses on investments, or maybe they just prefer to have their money now and pay the IRS at
the end of the year, though they could be penalized for underwitholding. Sometimes,
however, this will be a tax protester that just refuses to pay and is able to get away with it until the IRS finally gets around to attaching their wages for back taxes.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM

100 posts, read 288,956 times
Thanks everybody for your answers. I probably should not have said FICA. What I meant is that he wants no state or federal withholding taken out of his check. My accountant's office said this seemed extremely unusual to them but they had seen it once or twice. So, at this point I am taking out SS and Medicare but not state or federal withholding. I just hope he knows what he is doing....

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM

505 posts, read 937,482 times
Claiming more than 10 allowances on the W-4 will get questions (in the form of "love letters") from the IRS. My firm advises against ever trying to claim more than 10. I personally claim 8:

Myself 1
Spouse 1
2 kids 2
Child Tax Credit 4
(2 allowances for each child) --

Total 8

Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM

21,029 posts, read 19,500,870 times
It's got to make you wonder how good a worker he'll be if he is not willing to pay his fair share to support the government.

...no that any of us actually like to.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM

319 posts, read 663,088 times
he can claim all he wants, not your problem if IRS takes a piece of him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business