Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

The H1B visa scare that has a lot of American engineers worried I've heard is a wrongful business move considering that it's a myth that Chinese and Indian engineers are far superior to their American counterparts. Talking with a Chinese friend of mine he said that he wished he would've gone to an American college, even a local city college, over his Chinese university. I asked why if companies are importing talent from there? He said that a lot of Chinese universities cut corners and there is a lot of corruption in them and that the students they graduate are no more better or sometimes worse off than their American counterparts. He said these schools churn out a lot of engineers and computer science majors who barely have the full picture of what they will do once they land a job. He also said a lot of his classmates do not even have engineering jobs in China, a lot are working for the government doing non-engineering work.
The shortage he believes is just an attempt by businesses to lower wages. They also bought into the hype about getting quality engineers and CS grads for cheap. What they're finding out is that the quality of work is not as great. This is not talking about all foreign graduates, I do not mean to offend anyone in here.

Is any of this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The H1B visa scare that has a lot of American engineers worried I've heard is a wrongful business move considering that it's a myth that Chinese and Indian engineers are far superior to their American counterparts. Talking with a Chinese friend of mine he said that he wished he would've gone to an American college, even a local city college, over his Chinese university. I asked why if companies are importing talent from there? He said that a lot of Chinese universities cut corners and there is a lot of corruption in them and that the students they graduate are no more better or sometimes worse off than their American counterparts. He said these schools churn out a lot of engineers and computer science majors who barely have the full picture of what they will do once they land a job. He also said a lot of his classmates do not even have engineering jobs in China, a lot are working for the government doing non-engineering work.
The shortage he believes is just an attempt by businesses to lower wages. They also bought into the hype about getting quality engineers and CS grads for cheap. What they're finding out is that the quality of work is not as great. This is not talking about all foreign graduates, I do not mean to offend anyone in here.

Is any of this true?
In China 70% students study science or engineering. Therefore many of them do NOT really like what they are doing, so they do not put efforts in.
Of course, the job market in China cannot absorb the 70% scientists and engineers either, so many of them do other jobs.
Many of my friends in China became salesmen, stock traders etc.

However, I believe using engineering as a "default" degree is still better than using a "liberal arts" degree as a default degree, as in the US. At least, engineering students need to pass calculus, general physics, and receive some lab training, so you know they can't be too stupid/lazy to graduate.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Myth of the Indian and Chinese dominance in engineering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China 70% students study science or engineering.
^^This. There are MORE engineering grads from China and India.

But like windows based computers that prevalence doesn't mean there is any superiority...
let alone however anyone might define dominance.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Myth of the Indian and Chinese dominance in engineering?

^^This. There are MORE engineering grads from China and India.

But like windows based computers that prevalence doesn't mean there is any superiority...
let alone however anyone might define dominance.
It's a matter of time.
Who would have known China can be the second largest economy?

Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
The H1B visa scare that has a lot of American engineers worried I've heard is a wrongful business move considering that it's a myth that Chinese and Indian engineers are far superior to their American counterparts.

Is this something that people actually believe? I've never even heard such an absurd argument put forward.

The argument is and always has been that there aren't enough Americans going into science and engineering to meet demand. It should be drilled down a bit more than that though. There are plenty of biologists, chemists, civil engineers, etc. We have a deficit of highly qualified people in some very narrowly defined areas.

The fact that lots of engineering students in China end up in non-engineering jobs should not be surprising. The same thing happens to a lot of people in the US, too, and we don't even push people to go into engineering. The reality is that companies need the best of the best, not mediocre also-rans who barely managed to cheat, beg, and scheme their way to a degree.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:41 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
.... He said that a lot of Chinese universities cut corners and there is a lot of corruption in them and that the students they graduate are no more better or sometimes worse off than their American counterparts. He said these schools churn out a lot of engineers and computer science majors who barely have the full picture of what they will do once they land a job......
When you have a majority of the population getting into engineering, some of them will inevitably land in crappy colleges with crappy professors and management, resulting in crappy education.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
We need an "H-3z" or some program so we can dump our surplus lawyers on other countries.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
We need an "H-3z" or some program so we can dump our surplus lawyers on other countries.
That's another thing entirely. I was dissuaded from going into law from lawyers who said that unless you're from Harvard Yale or Stanford or any top ten law firm, good luck. Even they're hurting but that's not even half as bad as low tier law students. The lawyer told me he has two paralegals with JDs and knows another law student grad working as an entry level county clerk for 35k! Tall about a glut. The rest are unemployed!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Is this something that people actually believe? I've never even heard such an absurd argument put forward.

The argument is and always has been that there aren't enough Americans going into science and engineering to meet demand. It should be drilled down a bit more than that though. There are plenty of biologists, chemists, civil engineers, etc. We have a deficit of highly qualified people in some very narrowly defined areas.

The fact that lots of engineering students in China end up in non-engineering jobs should not be surprising. The same thing happens to a lot of people in the US, too, and we don't even push people to go into engineering. The reality is that companies need the best of the best, not mediocre also-rans who barely managed to cheat, beg, and scheme their way to a degree.
Actually most of the complaints I've heard from engineers is that companies want so many years of a vet narrow experience and for the engineer to do it at a lower salary. One engineer I knew was mad he didn't get the job he interviewed for because he worked in a field that closely resembled what the employer was looking for and he could've picked it up easily in a short amount of time. He also wished them good luck finding someone with that many years in such a narrow niche, and then trying to get him to work for that low.

Not to mention these companies have bought into the HB1-Visa India and China produce better grads who will work for less than their American counter parts ploy. I am assuming these companies are finally seeing the problem my Asian friend described. That companies are undervaluing their science workers. He said in China he wouldn't trust half the grads who received an engineering degree to work in his shop. He knows the reluctance of the students to do a good job, the corruption in Chinese universities and the tricks they use to inflate their numbers and graduate as many engineering grads as they can.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Actually most of the complaints I've heard from engineers is that companies want so many years of a vet narrow experience and for the engineer to do it at a lower salary. One engineer I knew was mad he didn't get the job he interviewed for because he worked in a field that closely resembled what the employer was looking for and he could've picked it up easily in a short amount of time. He also wished them good luck finding someone with that many years in such a narrow niche, and then trying to get him to work for that low.

Not to mention these companies have bought into the HB1-Visa India and China produce better grads who will work for less than their American counter parts ploy. I am assuming these companies are finally seeing the problem my Asian friend described. That companies are undervaluing their science workers. He said in China he wouldn't trust half the grads who received an engineering degree to work in his shop. He knows the reluctance of the students to do a good job, the corruption in Chinese universities and the tricks they use to inflate their numbers and graduate as many engineering grads as they can.
The H1-B holders from China are mostly from top Chinese universities and earn a graduate degree from a US university. Believe it or not, many mid-level Chinese programmers in the US are from top 5 universities in China, and they are considered genius in their country.
Not sure about India.

What's more, the job interviewers for tech positions are often Indians and Chinese, too. And they know how to find the best candidates from their own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business