Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 01:30 AM

835 posts, read 521,322 times

Advertisements

I reject 100% of all offers, on Ebay, Craigslist, or anywhere else, when the lowballer mentions church or the military (usually talking about someone else).

The single greatest best way to get a discount is to respectfully state the price where you'd need to be. As in, "Cool widget, if you don't end up getting your price I'd be at $525. Ready to pay anytime."

The single worst way to get a discount is to ask "What's your lowest price?" That's for amateurs who will give you anything but a smooth transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 06:53 AM

15,195 posts, read 8,798,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
What are some effective comments to use in the "add message to seller" section when making a best offer that will increase the chances of a seller accepting your best offer?
I never add any message. I think that is a waste of time. But I do like to use reverse psychology when deciding what to offer. Recently I saw an item that I really wanted for $89.99 OBO. But I knew positively that it was worth $70 tops, and I did not want to go over that. I was worried that if I only offered $70, it might be asking too much of a discount. But I didn't want to offer $75 either. So I decided to offer $71, and it was accepted. It was only $1 over my maximum price anyway.

Usually I offer even dollar prices ending in one or six. That way if the even number price (ending in zero or five) turns out to be the minimum they will accept, I want to be $1 over that price. I don't think I have ever had an offer rejected that way. Though I don't usually ask for as big a discount as the above example.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 09-17-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 12:25 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,209,928 times
I received an item that was described as new, never out of the box and it arrived with missing parts/accessories. The plastic this item was wrapped in, in this supposedly new, never used, never out of box package was also unsealed.

I opened a return on eBay and selected missing parts as the reason for the return. I read that a seller can deduct a percentage of the refund amount for items that are retuned with missing parts. The item I received has missing parts, so if I return the item to the seller with the missing parts that were never sent to me originally, could the seller then falsely deduct a percentage of my refund and claim parts were missing? If that's the case, would it be wise to email the seller and request a partial refund instead?

Old 06-28-2018, 08:53 AM

9,729 posts, read 7,555,940 times
I would definitely want a customer to contact me directly if something is wrong with the items they received so I could fix it. Hopefully your seller is the same.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I would definitely want a customer to contact me directly if something is wrong with the items they received so I could fix it. Hopefully your seller is the same.

Do you think it's better for a buyer to contact the seller first, before commencing the returns process? After receiving the item not as described, I immediately opened a return request. In the narrative box in the return request, I detailed the missing parts and how the item was used and not new. I did not suggest for the seller to take a specific course of action for the return.

If the seller does not respond to the return request, is eBay usually helpful in granting a refund?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Do you think it's better for a buyer to contact the seller first, before commencing the returns process? After receiving the item not as described, I immediately opened a return request. In the narrative box in the return request, I detailed the missing parts and how the item was used and not new. I did not suggest for the seller to take a specific course of action for the return.

If the seller does not respond to the return request, is eBay usually helpful in granting a refund?
I just know our business practices for over 30 years, we fix things for the customer on the rare instances that something went wrong. I would be angry if a customer did a chargeback on a credit card without calling us first. Did the seller have good feedback?

The "new" items we sell online don't have any retail packaging, but they are definitely new, right from the manufacturer.

Lots of things could've happened. The bag ripped accidentally and he didn't know parts fell out. Or he buys overstocks/returns and didn't know this item had other parts. Or he's trying to get away with something. Ebay should help you out if the seller doesn't.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:10 AM

In the last 2-3 months I have had to return two items purchased on eBay because they were missing parts and not as described.I received a refund on both items. If I leave negative feedback for those two sellers, could there be any negative ramifications to me, such as the seller canceling a refund that's already been issued?

Last week, I purchased an item on eBay and then about 12 hours later, I received a refund from the seller with the reason being "item sold to another buyer." Does the seller deserve negative or neutral feedback for this transaction?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
In the last 2-3 months I have had to return two items purchased on eBay because they were missing parts and not as described.I received a refund on both items. If I leave negative feedback for those two sellers, could there be any negative ramifications to me, such as the seller canceling a refund that's already been issued?

Last week, I purchased an item on eBay and then about 12 hours later, I received a refund from the seller with the reason being "item sold to another buyer." Does the seller deserve negative or neutral feedback for this transaction?
A seller can't reverse a refund once they process it.

I wouldn't leave negative feedback in any of your situations. The sellers refunded your money once they realized there was an issue. It happens on ebay and other online companies. Many times inventory is just updated once a day and the companies may be selling on Amazon, in a retail store or on their own website, they sell that item on the other channel right before you buy it on ebay.

I think negatives should be reserved for when the seller doesn't resolve the issue.

I would leave positives and then include a comment that the seller refunded because of missing parts/out of stock. That's a good thing!

Old 10-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Is it permitted via eBay rules to ask a seller if she/he would consider adding a "Best Offer" option to their listing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business