U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,798,850 times

Advertisements

I apologize for not reading all 80 posts, so I may be repeating something here --

This is an excellent write up on the minimum wage discussion -

IMHO - "the government" -- which is now a bunch of competing special interest lobbies -- was not capable of running GM, has made extremely poor decisions about running everything from Social Security to websites, and we are now letting them make decisions about how companies should make hiring and payment decisions. Do people need to make a living wage? Yes. Should an entry level worker with no experience make the same as a clerk with 20 years experience? Hell no.

I remember when my then-husband went from being a union electrician to opening his own Electrical Contracting firm. It took him about one week to understand how this all works... with each paycheck the owner has a ton of other obligations. So $15 an hour does NOT equal $15 an hour to the owner. It's more like $30 an hour when you factor in all the business obligations and taxes and paperwork piled on by "the government..."

If you have never run a company, or managed at a level where you had control over the budget, you probably just don't get it. So many people make "capitalism" out to be a bad thing. Yet it's capitalism that made the computer possible that you type on, the chair possible that you sit on, the lights in your office or the comfy chair at Starbucks with their 'free' wifi... All capitalism. Your abercrombie & fitch fashionably frayed jeans, your iPhone, your iTunes, that music in your ear... all brought to you by capitalists. And on and on... companies that make those things often start out on a shoestring. They might eventually make some serious bucks, but they got there with blood, sweat and tears. Entrepreneurs get it. And entrepreneurs who succeed are the ones who employ people. It's not just the big multi-nationals like McD's who are affected by this. It's also the little mom and pop down the street, the cool little noodle shop, the tiny sushi shop, your favorite little wine bar...

The data is a little old, but in 2008, more than 50 million people in the US were employed by companies with less than 300 employees. Quite a few of those were companies with around 30-50 employees. There are numerous such sites, but the inference is real: all this anti-multi-national capitalist fervor is really hurting the very small businesses. And those small inventors, entrepreneurs and capitalists could do a lot to bring back the economy -- a few people at a time multiplied exponentially. Government meddling and the "spread the wealth" mentality just hurts all of us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM

11,732 posts, read 12,785,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The touch screen technology is already being implemented at sit down restauraunts too.

Chili's just placed a big order for these.
Chili's to Install Tabletop Computer Screens - WSJ.com

I have seen them at elephant bar and some other restauraunts. Apparently people end up buying more using the screens. I could see them being ubiquitous in a few years.

Not surprising that fast food would start using those. It most likely would cut down on staff. Also we will probably be seeing cash used less and less throughout the years.
And the smArt person would take a look and realize that someone will need to create, program, install, and maintain such devices.

So perhaps gaining a background in electronics, PLC, controls, etc might be a worthwhile investment....

Old 01-06-2014, 12:02 AM

18,668 posts, read 17,959,065 times
R Cowgirl, Great post.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 AM

40,973 posts, read 22,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post

The only one that benefits from a minimum wage increase is the government tax person as they laugh all the way to the bank.
yep, more tax revenue.

Employee gets a raise and pays more taxes.
Employer has to match employee taxes
Government happy

Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 AM

40,973 posts, read 22,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I apologize for not reading all 80 posts, so I may be repeating something here --

This is an excellent write up on the minimum wage discussion -

IMHO - "the government" -- which is now a bunch of competing special interest lobbies -- was not capable of running GM, has made extremely poor decisions about running everything from Social Security to websites, and we are now letting them make decisions about how companies should make hiring and payment decisions. Do people need to make a living wage? Yes. Should an entry level worker with no experience make the same as a clerk with 20 years experience? Hell no.

I remember when my then-husband went from being a union electrician to opening his own Electrical Contracting firm. It took him about one week to understand how this all works... with each paycheck the owner has a ton of other obligations. So $15 an hour does NOT equal $15 an hour to the owner. It's more like $30 an hour when you factor in all the business obligations and taxes and paperwork piled on by "the government..."

If you have never run a company, or managed at a level where you had control over the budget, you probably just don't get it. So many people make "capitalism" out to be a bad thing. Yet it's capitalism that made the computer possible that you type on, the chair possible that you sit on, the lights in your office or the comfy chair at Starbucks with their 'free' wifi... All capitalism. Your abercrombie & fitch fashionably frayed jeans, your iPhone, your iTunes, that music in your ear... all brought to you by capitalists. And on and on...

companies that make those things often start out on a shoestring. They might eventually make some serious bucks, but they got there with blood, sweat and tears. Entrepreneurs get it. And entrepreneurs who succeed are the ones who employ people. It's not just the big multi-nationals like McD's who are affected by this. It's also the little mom and pop down the street, the cool little noodle shop, the tiny sushi shop, your favorite little wine bar...

The data is a little old, but in 2008, more than 50 million people in the US were employed by companies with less than 300 employees. Quite a few of those were companies with around 30-50 employees. There are numerous such sites, but the inference is real: all this anti-multi-national capitalist fervor is really hurting the very small businesses. And those small inventors, entrepreneurs and capitalists could do a lot to bring back the economy -- a few people at a time multiplied exponentially. Government meddling and the "spread the wealth" mentality just hurts all of us.
Excellent post. But Obama and his buddies want to keep hammering small business and then their supporters wonder where the jobs are.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:47 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,221,269 times
If you've never run a small busines, you shouldn't even post to this subject.
I have, for 13 long hard years, and I say raise the minimum wage.
If you can't afford to hire someone, do it yourself.
Yea, how about that?
I don't want to pay for some business employees food stamps, medicaid
health insurance, and housing because he won't do the work.
13 long hard years.
When I had the money, business could support it, I hired,
If I didn't, my hubby and I broke our backs so the work got done.
Remember, small business people pay personal federal and state income taxes too.
We pay our own health insurance, many of us paid much more for it because we couldn't get
into a group plan, too small.
We didn't get to write the cost off, it was considered personal expense.
Small business are the job creators. Most people work for small business.
They are also the economic thermometers of the local economy, if they hurt,
so does the whole area.
We saw the crash coming in 2008.
We felt it 2 years before all the big corporate business crashed and ran to the
governemnt, which bythe way is us, for money.
ALl the small business were screwed.
But not the banks, no sir, they got the taxpayers to lend them money and
bail them out, which unlike small business, they enjoyed someone backing them up
when they defrauded the whole world.
How does it feel to be big enough to profit when times are good,
and let the taxpayers pay for your risk when you screw up?
Must be nice.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,206 posts, read 60,356,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
If you've never run a small busines, you shouldn't even post to this subject.
I have, for 13 long hard years, and I say raise the minimum wage.
If you can't afford to hire someone, do it yourself.
Yea, how about that?
I don't want to pay for some business employees food stamps, medicaid
health insurance, and housing because he won't do the work.
13 long hard years.
When I had the money, business could support it, I hired,
If I didn't, my hubby and I broke our backs so the work got done.
Remember, small business people pay personal federal and state income taxes too.
We pay our own health insurance, many of us paid much more for it because we couldn't get
into a group plan, too small.
We didn't get to write the cost off, it was considered personal expense.
Small business are the job creators. Most people work for small business.
They are also the economic thermometers of the local economy, if they hurt,
so does the whole area.
We saw the crash coming in 2008.
We felt it 2 years before all the big corporate business crashed and ran to the
governemnt, which bythe way is us, for money.
ALl the small business were screwed.
But not the banks, no sir, they got the taxpayers to lend them money and
bail them out, which unlike small business, they enjoyed someone backing them up
when they defrauded the whole world.
How does it feel to be big enough to profit when times are good,
and let the taxpayers pay for your risk when you screw up?
Must be nice.
Very good post, and the same experience that I had with my business from 1992-2008. My staff ranged from 0-4 and I spent many months alone working looong hours. When I had employees they always got more than minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or