U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:22 AM

5,318 posts, read 5,568,138 times

Advertisements

Will Obamacare enable employers to get cheaper health insurance?

I remember reading an article about how a business wanted to expand from 50 employees to more, but couldnt because Obamacare made the insurance too expensive for them. They elected not to expand their business.

I was under the impression Obamacare and the exchanges is suppose to make things cheaper. Or is it just designed to entice people to get off their employers provided plans, and get their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,203 posts, read 50,133,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

I was under the impression Obamacare and the exchanges is suppose to make things cheaper. Or is it just designed to entice people to get off their employers provided plans, and get their own?
make things cheaper? Nonsense. My employer (2,000 people) has already deleted the best plans available, and is now offering only plans that cost us more out of our checks but with less benefits, with a lot more out-of-pocket, and their cost is higher. Part of it is the costs rising and part is to avoid having to pay the tax on "cadillac" plans. The real goal of Obamacare is to get people making good salary and benefits to pay for those that don't currently have healthcare. The real result is making more money for the providers, as they continue to raise premiums at will while adding many more people to their customer base.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

3,843 posts, read 5,082,841 times
Quote:

I remember reading an article about how a business wanted to expand from 50 employees to more, but couldnt because Obamacare made the insurance too expensive for them. They elected not to expand their business.

You are under this impression because that's the lie that was told, in addition to: "If you like your doctor, you can keep him". None of it is true.

Here's a link to an article today from the Wall St. cheat sheet site regarding how much rates are going up:

In the Case of Obamacare, No News Isn

The problem that's arising is that Obamacare was counting on employers either paying for exhorbitant plans, or paying the fine for not doing so. Instead, businesses are simply cutting hours and staff, thus avoiding the added costs. Without this revenue, the administration is scrambling to recruit the young and healthy to sign on for the "cadillac plans" to subsidize the rest. It is a mess.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,103,734 times
Quote:

I don't see how adding a bunch of required procedures to be included in a "basic" plan could make it cheaper.

Why should a company that only employs women be required to pay for an insurance plan that covers prostate cancer screenings?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM

20,866 posts, read 25,439,345 times
How could it possibly become cheaper when the insurance companies are going to have to pay for expensive medical treatment for people that they never would have insured before.

Now, people can just pay the fine every year until they discover that they need a heart transplant and the insurance company must, by law, accept them and pay for the heart transplant. How is that supposed to reduce rates?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM

5,318 posts, read 5,568,138 times
I thought the exchanges will make providers "compete" with each other, and that would force them to make price compete.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 8,115,979 times
Without exception, more government= higher cost!

Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,527,085 times
Quote:
I thought the exchanges will make providers "compete" with each other, and that would force them to make price compete.
Most individuals will be able to buy their health insurance cheaper, or at least get better insurance for what they're paying now.

As far as effect on employer provided healthcare, I'm not sure anyone can answer that accurately. There's so much misinformation out there now that this is more "wait and see" at this point.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:27 AM

5,098 posts, read 4,103,734 times
Quote:

Just because they compete does not mean it is affordable. The oil companies all compete with each other, but gas is still relatively high and the same wherever you go.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,203 posts, read 50,133,459 times
Quote:
Very few companies here applied for the exchange, and fewer were accepted. We have only 3 in the whole state, and you can bet that there will not be any price competition for the dollars of the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or