U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

Heyy, it's time to file our returns to the IRS. How do you complete your form? Using an accountant, online software, help from a friend, or by yourselves? I am a second year in the states and I am considered as a non resident alien( for the next 4 years in fact). Last year I used an online software - Sprintax. I filed 1040NR-EZ + 8843( do I have to file this every year until my exemption period)? What do you guys think? Please, advise, I want to finish with this ASAP Smile
Thanks,
Lara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:01 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,080,128 times
This thread has been moved from the education forum. If this is not the correct place, please move.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:29 AM

156 posts, read 450,593 times
This probably shouldn't be in the business forum. For a personal tax return, especially if it is complicated, you may want to go with an accountant. You should be able to get it filed for $125 or less (ask friends for references to their accountants - don't go to a franchise like HRBlock, etc). Bite the bullet, get it done correctly, and then in subsequent years, if you want to do it yourself with software, you will at least have a correct return to compare things to.

Good Luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 AM

I wrote my topic in the Education section because I am an international student and I thought there may be others like me reading the forum Last year I used an online platform and everything was, if I may say, perfect. I had no issues regarding the website and the filing of the return to the IRS. I gave USD35 which compared to an accountant(USD125 as you say) is quite cheap(I'm a student, this matters). And aslo I got an ITIN through the website and I completed my State tax return. I was very happy with the program, however I wanted to hear your opinion
Thanks,
Lara

Old 01-23-2014, 06:31 AM

156 posts, read 450,593 times
Hi Lara,

The two issues with doing your own taxes (with software), especially if they are complicated are:
- You won't know if they were correct unless you get audited. The majority of returns aren't reviewed that comprehensively so you still could be filing incorrectly or incompletely.
- You may be leaving some money on the table - there may be some deductions that are tricky to navigate or may be available to you with a little bit of effort. You won't know the tax laws, which change every year, as well as an accountant.

That said, I use an accountant for both my personal and business tax returns but I also educate myself very well on all tax matters. Even then, my accountant can usually find some additional savings for me. Just food for thought.

Good luck with whichever way you go. Most likely, if you use tax software, you will be fine.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 AM

Thank you, nctecchie! If I may say, generally, I know nothing about tax laws(not even a bit close to an accountant), however I have been doing a lot of reading, because last year all this was a mystery to me. This year I am a bit more informed, however I don't feel confident enough to do it by my self. I will find help before I begin the preparation of my documents, however I just want to know what are the ways for this to be done and which will be the best for me. I was very satisfied with last years return, however I am always open to new ideas. I know that there are tricky parts to the return, however I have heard good reviews about Sprintax and I think it's reliable. Anyway, there is still a little more time and I am hoping to hear other opinions
Thanks,
Lara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or