U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
 
Location: The beautiful Garden State
2,683 posts, read 3,264,890 times
Reputation: 3528

Advertisements

I will always buy clothes and shoes at brick and mortar stores because I must buy petite size clothes and also because I have a very difficult time buying shoes that fit my feet (sneakers are usually my only answer).

If I had to buy shoes and clothes online I'd probably have to return them 90% of the time. I always try clothes on in the fitting room and I find buying shoes other than sneakers a nightmare. Online shopping will not work.

However, I have a Kindle and am always downloading Kindle books. I still love brick and mortar bookstores, though, and physical books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2014, 01:45 AM
 
Location: USA
16,572 posts, read 16,251,215 times
Reputation: 12536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Published: Wednesday, 22 Jan 2014 By: Krystina Gustafso

The only possible reason I would EVER go to this channel is because it was a Drudge link.

Snip



Snip

Everywhere I go in Vegas, I see empty store fronts and stores closing for lack of business. This is effecting fast food and sit-in restaurants as well. And, IMHO, it ain't gonna get any better soon.

Read piece and watch video @ A 'tsunami' of store closings expected to hit retail
Everywhere I go in San Francisco I can't find parking and have to fight through crowds of people in stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 03:31 AM
 
33,156 posts, read 39,125,262 times
Reputation: 28518
Looks like Sears Canada is postponing the inevitable..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...jobs-1.2498144
1100 of those jobs right here in Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,204 posts, read 13,710,461 times
Reputation: 11394
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I will always buy clothes and shoes at brick and mortar stores because I must buy petite size clothes and also because I have a very difficult time buying shoes that fit my feet (sneakers are usually my only answer).

If I had to buy shoes and clothes online I'd probably have to return them 90% of the time. I always try clothes on in the fitting room and I find buying shoes other than sneakers a nightmare. Online shopping will not work.

However, I have a Kindle and am always downloading Kindle books. I still love brick and mortar bookstores, though, and physical books.

This is why Zappos offers , free returns . They also give 365 days to return items...pretty unheard of anywhere else.

Shipping and Returns | Zappos.com

I'm not a regular customer..I think I might of ordered from them once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
 
1,475 posts, read 2,182,179 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
And, IMHO, it ain't gonna get any better soon.
Why would it? It's very difficult to make a dollar these days. I don't know why America won't pull together and start fixing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,697,396 times
Reputation: 7981
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I know someone that works for costco ... The pay is good for retail.
Costco isn't retail, it's wholesale.

Welcome to Costco Wholesale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
9,862 posts, read 13,207,209 times
Reputation: 8730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, and in fact, most of the clothing I buy is from Costco. I also agree with jm1982 that people like to see and touch their clothes before buying, and you can do that at Costco. Their jeans, dress shirts, underwear, socks, business casual pants and jackets are all good quality and inexpensive.
So do I But wait I shouldn't be embarrassed I buy work outfits for $40 for a white collar job, love it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,204 posts, read 13,710,461 times
Reputation: 11394
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Costco isn't retail, it's wholesale.

Welcome to Costco Wholesale
They are still considered to be in the 'retail industry' or "retail sector"

The Best Retail Companies To Work For Right Now - Forbes

Google also labels it a retail company

The New York Times mentions that it's the nation's fifth largest retailer

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...pagewanted=all

Still want to correct me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
 
Location: OC, CA
9,862 posts, read 13,207,209 times
Reputation: 8730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is why Zappos offers , free returns . They also give 365 days to return items...pretty unheard of anywhere else.

Shipping and Returns | Zappos.com

I'm not a regular customer..I think I might of ordered from them once.
That's an awesome policy, and I will consider them now, but my time is still my time, valuable. Having to return, post office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,429 posts, read 50,666,198 times
Reputation: 28698
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
They are still considered to be in the 'retail industry' or "retail sector"

The Best Retail Companies To Work For Right Now - Forbes

Google also labels it a retail company

The New York Times mentions that it's the nation's fifth largest retailer

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/bu...pagewanted=all

Still want to correct me?
If it was truly wholesale, they would not be charging sales tax, and all members would need a resale license.

The percentage of people buying for re-sale is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top