U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 PM

632 posts, read 556,429 times

Advertisements

In business, there are some industries which just attract bad actors. I'm interested in making a living in business without resorting to deceptive or unethical practices. I don't want to deal with competitors who break the rule of law, or industries where the more the business rips off customers the more they make. Now there is no perfect utopia of law and ethical nirvana, but there are definitely more and less ethical industries.

Now I've certainly run into some unsavory industries (which shall remain nameless), but believe more and more large amounts of business transactions are fueled by deceptive and unethical practices. If not outright illegal practices.

Ex. Remember those ads for the Scooter Store all over TV? Turned out to be a giant Medicare fraud, and is now defunct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:25 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Advertising. A pure and noble business filled with selfless people who want nothing more than the good of humanity.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:02 AM

6,716 posts, read 11,162,972 times
Religion?

Non-profits?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Religion?

Non-profits?
That's pretty much a case-by-case. For example, in my city, there's a megachurch where the pastor lives in a multimillion dollar home in a gated community, drives luxury cars to work, and takes his kids on several over-the-top vacations a year. That's a far cry from the humble local church where the pastor makes enough to feed, house, and cloth his family, drives a ten-year-old car, and works sixty hours a week taking care of his parishioners. The two are not one and the same.

Same is true of non-profits. There are plenty of non-profits that are superior stewards of their donors' money. Then there are the non-profits that are nothing more than charades, where the supposed beneficiaries get perhaps 1-2% of the proceeds. On the cabinet door above my telephone I keep a list of the 50 Worst Charities, published last year by the Tampa Tribune. So whenever a telemarketer calls I consult my list and, if they're on it, I give the solicitor the business.

In fact, here's a link to the list. If everybody would do the same, we could put the fraudulent so-called charities out of business:

America's Worst Charities

Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,180,445 times
[quote=concept_fusion;33347179]In business, there are some industries which just attract bad actors. QUOTE]

All industries attrack bad actors. It's not the industry it's the people. Some people are good and some are bad. How *you* operate your business is your choice!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,998,688 times
I think the restaurant industry is a pretty clean and honest industry. The prices are on the menu. There's no small print. There's no hidden costs and fees. If a customer doesn't like the food it's almost automatic that the customer won't have to pay for it after a complaint has been filed with management.

-Cheers.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 AM

632 posts, read 556,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I think the restaurant industry is a pretty clean and honest industry. The prices are on the menu. There's no small print. There's no hidden costs and fees. If a customer doesn't like the food it's almost automatic that the customer won't have to pay for it after a complaint has been filed with management.

-Cheers.
Very true. Not what I was wanting to hear though, restaurants aren't easy businesses!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,767,379 times
Architecture and engineering seem pretty straight edge.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM

20,998 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I think the restaurant industry is a pretty clean and honest industry.

It depends upon what city you are located in. In some cities, the health inspector is on the take. In some cities, restaurants must pay protection money or they must buy meat and booze from the mafia.

Restaurant reviewers have been known to take bribes.

Employees are often caught stealing both money and goods from restaurants.

Undocumented alien employees with no health clearances cause minor epidemics of hepatitis or salmonella.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,124,447 times
I think the underlying premise in the OP is faulty. I have known many business people, and without exception the most successful ones are focused on providing more value per dollar of cost than their competition--to offer the best possible deal to the customer. Being of value or usefulness to the rest of society is the only way to build sustainable wealth. The rip-off shops have a tough time sustaining profitability and even viability over the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business