U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:51 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,209,363 times

Advertisements

One more observation.

Even when given free - photos were always provided as well as measurements and weight -- there were several demanding responses that included requests for me to deliver, take additional photos, etc. Also some "no shows" for the free items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 AM

12,414 posts, read 14,162,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I've had better luck using local Facebook classifieds I can check their FB page out to get some sense at to what they're like, there's quick give and take on the site so that everyone can read updates, they have PM abilities so you can immediately exchange address and phone numbers, and people develop reputations as being reliabe, no shows etc. I like these kind of sites much better than Craigslist and have had a lot of luck both buying and selling.
Is there a privacy setting so all your Facebook classified dealings don't show up on your Facebook wall for your friends to see? That's the only problem I would have with it. I have a friend who has a rental house and sometimes she will be advertising the house for rent or answering questions for prospective renters. I don't mind seeing that, but I'm not sure she intends for whatever she posts there to be seen on her Facebook wall or in her friends' feeds. I wouldn't want my stuff posted where my friends who had nothing to do with that would be reading it.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,249,791 times
I had one jackass ask me for pictures of tires I was selling from different angles, then the pictures I had. Haggle with me over the price over txt (I already was selling it for 60% below cost) and ask for more pictures with a penny showing tread depth. Then he never showed!! Luckily a nice lady came the next day at the time we agreed upon didn't haggle and left with the tires.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,979,332 times
My opinion is that as far as online sites go, CL is the bottom of the barrel. I've attempted to use it a few times for both buying and selling and gotten nothing but no responses, hagglers, tire kickers, and would-be Nigerian scam artists.

The site is [mostly] free to use for a reason. You get what you pay for. Although it can be a great place to sell stuff locally or find some killer bargains, my experience has been that the time and effort you spend sifting through the garbage just doesn't make it worth using. Otherwise, if you have lots and lots and patience, a high tolerance for BS, then yeah. Go for it. But few reputable people even bother using that site anymore. They've been completely overrun by spambots, scammers, and of course, the ubiquitous fakes and flakes. For every one legitimate ad on there (or email you get), you probably had to slog through a hundred bogus ones.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,728,405 times
Well I've been talking to the same guy since last weekend about buying my phone, and he keeps stalling even though he has been texting me every day. Last night, I sent him a message saying let's meet tomorrow (today) or I'm going to move on, and he said that's fine. He told me last weekend and once during the week that he's serious and has cash in hand, which is kind of weird for someone to add. He messaged me today around lunch time and said a deal fell through for him to sell his Galaxy Tab, so he's trying to sell it and get me the money for my phone. He basically lied all week. Then he texted me 5 minutes later to say he's still serious and he's sorry. I told him I had other emails to respond to and that we're done.

And with that, I'm done with Craigslist.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:31 AM

11,439 posts, read 15,297,962 times
Craigs Lists can be good, bad or even dangerous. Most folks on it seem to have more time than money but it is still a good place to let people know you have something for sale. However, I don't answer emails from CL anymore. Most of these are people harvesting active email addresses they can sell. I always require a reply phone call, or at the least, a valid phone number with an email.

How can CL be dangerous you ask? Last summer one response to one of my ads was a homosexual who drove all the way out to my farm seeking sex. He seemed genuinely surprised that homosexuals do not normally live on west Texas farms.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 PM

37 posts, read 46,464 times
I think it depends on what section and what items you are trying to sell. I often sell smartphones as part of my business on Craigslist, and overall it does well. But other times I have listed personal furniture and large baby items and I had several people ask if I would donate it to them FOR FREE.

Now don't get me wrong, I frequently donate items to charity. But these are higher end items that I have listed for nearly $60-100. Now if they were cheaper items I was listing for like $10-15, I would probably be okay with it because I would love to help people out. In these cases, these people were just insulting.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:07 PM

247 posts, read 396,246 times
In my experience, about 75% of responders are FLAKES.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,728,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Craigs Lists can be good, bad or even dangerous. Most folks on it seem to have more time than money but it is still a good place to let people know you have something for sale. However, I don't answer emails from CL anymore. Most of these are people harvesting active email addresses they can sell. I always require a reply phone call, or at the least, a valid phone number with an email.

How can CL be dangerous you ask? Last summer one response to one of my ads was a homosexual who drove all the way out to my farm seeking sex. He seemed genuinely surprised that homosexuals do not normally live on west Texas farms.
You must have accidentally added some code words or something to make him think you were selling something else. Gross.

I definitely don't recommend Craigslist for single women who are willing to let people come to their home. If a woman wants to sell something on there, I think they should meet the person in a large public place, like the front of a Wal-mart parking lot. You never really know who you're talking to on there, and there's no shortage of weirdos out there. I am a police officer and always have a gun on me, so I take the risk. I would never let my wife sell something online without me being there.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,609,325 times
I have learned a lot from selling on CL in the past.

1- if it's a free item I list the address, put the item outside, and say "first to come gets it, ad will be removed when I see the item is gone." No more calls, no more fuss, item is usually gone within an hour.

2- ask for more than you want.

3- don't act desperate or say you are in a hurry to get rid of something.

I'm having the hardest time right now selling something, get calls, I'm asking for HARDLY anything, and a guy calls today and asks how much I want, I say "the ad says $400, make an offer" and he says he'll call me back.

WTF? I'm just wanting to get rid of this damn thing but I'm not telling him that. I know if I put it up for free it'll be gone before I can close my front freaking door... *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business