Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think I'm going to add a math problem to the end of my descriptions and tell people I won't respond unless they include the answer. People of low intelligence who can't read a 5 sentence description need not email me.
I've done this for a long time now, using either math or geography questions. It's to weed out idiots who don't read the whole ad, as well as spam bots.

True story: One time I asked, "What is the capital of California" and someone replied Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:47 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I've done this for a long time now, using either math or geography questions. It's to weed out idiots who don't read the whole ad, as well as spam bots.

True story: One time I asked, "What is the capital of California" and someone replied Los Angeles.
That's a simple mistake and a common misconception and that wouldn't bother me one bit. A lot of people would immediately think Los Angeles. If they took the time to read the ad, and answered it honestly in good faith, even with a common misconception thats not the correct answer, thats good enough for me. Especially something like California, Washington (Olympia, not Seattle) Oregon (Salem, not Portland) Or Illinois (Springfield, not Chicago) or New York (Albany, not New York City)

Those are all huge misconceptions and easy to get wrong. Even in my state Minnesota, a lot of the people that live here will respond Minneapolis if you ask them what the capital is.

Now if you ask something such as 5+2 or 8-4 and they respond and say something like 716, or you ask whats bigger, Texas or Delaware, and they say Delaware, then it's a higher chance they're a flaker or just wasting your time or trying to be funny or just annoying you.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have been clearing my parents' house. Many items are simply packed for future distribution. Many items were given away free on Craigslist. And several items were sold on Craigslist.

I was under a lot of pressure to clear the place before renovations began. Some days I had 5+ buyers coming to the house for heavy items (appliances, furniture). Many of the buyers are really just kind of adventurers. Those with an interest in meeting/seeing what they have not seen before locally. Several tried to wander off and tour the house looking for perhaps things I would part with that were not advertised; I quickly learned to contain items to secured areas.

The email responses were so often just nuts; thought I would post a few silly email exchanges for your entertainment:

item: Last Chance! Wood Patio Settee..think its Redwood..moving tomorrow so great deal at $20
Buyer email: I live 2 hours away, can you deliver?
Me: sent to trash

item: Handmade Tiffany lamp, $15....so cheap because we are moving
Buyer email: Can you send me photos of other pieces made by the same artist?
Me: here's links to other things we are selling in stained glass, same artist
Buyer: Can you bring all your pieces to Sunnyvale so I can see them (2 hours south)

item: Wood podium/book stand. $45, value is over $200, perfect shape & we will even throw in the magnificent dictionary it is pictured with.
Buyer email: What dictionary is it?
My response: I'll reduce it to $35. Its Websters Third New International Dictionary, unabridged
Buyer email: What edition?
Loving your responses!! (sent to trash) CL is a barren land devoid of intelligence.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post

Wow... that person was an idiot.
Everybody knows that the capital of California is a 'C'...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:23 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,272,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I think I'm going to add a math problem to the end of my descriptions and tell people I won't respond unless they include the answer. People of low intelligence who can't read a 5 sentence description need not email me.
Good idea. I've also gotten way too many "can you drive 2 hours to deliver me a $20 item to see if *maybe* I want it" type responses! I can't even post on there anymore because it's too frustrating to see our narcissistic culture in action.

Are there seriously sellers who actually do this for people?? Or are the buyers not only this entitled but also this stupid??

It's a good bet that (in my location anyways) that if you can't afford the gas and/or a car than you probably won't be buying my item. And even if delivered, would want to talk me down from $20 to $5 or pass altogether.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:26 AM

6,386 posts, read 6,272,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Wow... that person was an idiot.
Everybody knows that the capital of California is a 'C'...
Ha! This took me a minute...

Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,752 times
I get the "I live so and so away, can you meet half way ect" NO! Usually its like $20, why would anyone drive that far for $20.. I also get the stupid fake texts a lot about being out of the country and will send a check. Ugh. Beyond that, I have had some really stupid bizarre questions and responses.. at which point I delete the number.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:31 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Craig's Lists is one giant joke when it comes to selling stuff. If you want to sell something then you have to go really low. Best to only use Craig's List for freebe give aways.

Selling cars is pointless on Craig's List. I got lots of low ball offers even though my ad said "Firm price, no negotiations" etc. I wound up listing it on AutoTrader and sold it in 2 days to a great buyer.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,956 times
I've had pretty good results with Craigslist (So Cal).

In the past I've sold a set of tires, a 1976 BMW 2002, a mountain bike, various neon beer signs and other odds and ends. Each time I sold something I got what I wanted in terms of money. The key to attracting serious people is providing an honest and detailed description of the item you are selling and attaching pictures is very important. Also, list some conditions like firm; serious inquiries only; don't waste my time; etc.

When you price out your items you must know what it is going for in the market. Look around and try to find something similar to your item you wish to sell. Be honest with the condition. Some people are clueless and slap a price that is way too high. This attracts "tire kickers" and you will lose your valuable time.

-Cheers.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
selling something used on CL, someone is asking me if I can provide a warranty... WTF? Are these people for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business