Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,696,286 times

Advertisements

I had an accident. First moving violation in 50 years of driving.
My fault. I pulled out after looking in the mirror, but did not see a SUV in my blind spot.
so I looked at her car and she had some scratches on the bumper. not a dent a few scratches. I'm thinking I got off light, and told her let's do this without insurance.

so she sends me an estimate of over $1000. cuz she needs a new bumper.

I don't think she needs a new bumper.
I now have the option of going thru my insurance company and higher rates.

but I'm wondering is there no way to contest this estimate?
Isn't there some standard of reasonableness?

suppose she decides she needs a new paint job, cuz the new bumper doesn't match? Am I responsible for that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 04:23 AM

45,024 posts, read 60,017,539 times
There may be internal damage to the bumper (the pistons or what not that you can't see). The price quoted is likely about right for what you described.

If the colors don't match it will be the bumper that gets painted and not the vehicle.

Check your insurance policy, many will give you a "free" at fault accident without raising your rates if you've been with them awhile without a claim or ticket. Mine does.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,983,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
My fault. I pulled out after looking in the mirror, but did not see a SUV in my blind spot.
so I looked at her car and she had some scratches on the bumper. not a dent a few scratches. I'm thinking I got off light, and told her let's do this without insurance.

suppose she decides she needs a new paint job, cuz the new bumper doesn't match? Am I responsible for that too?
Usually your insurance company will protect you (and itself) against these false claims. 1000 is a lot - I would not pay it. I'd go through insurance - it's unlikely your rates will be higher if that's your first accident in 50 years. They probably won't pay it either - they'll want to see her car and verify that the estimate is reasonable and she's only seeking the damages you inflicted. Without them you can't do anything - in the old days, when insurance just handed out checks without looking at the car, people used to shop around for the highest possible estimate. Something totally unreasonable. Then they'd cash the check and get the car fixed cheaper, pocketing the profit. If you don't use your insurance, you don't really have any resources to do anything about it.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:27 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,227,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post

Was there a police report????

Old 03-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Was there a police report????
yes.
she immediately called the cops. (She works for the city.- and she knew practically everyone who drove by while we were waiting for the cops.)

I got an $85.00 ticket and 2 points.

I thot that was stiff. The cop told me I could go to court and plea for it to be reduced.
Which I will. He said it depended on my record, which , at least, is good.

when I get the estimate, I'm taking it to the shop who did it.
It's a shop I've been to and I've found reputable. It is the shop where I was planning to go to get my car door (result of accident) fixed.

I'd like to see what they say when I asked them whose idea a new bumper is.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM

I hope you're right, that the ins. co wouldn't pay it.

they at least have some leverage in dealing with the other party. I don't.
I already told her I didn't think she needed a new bumper, she told me she did.

My rates went up dramatically when I turned 65. I had been with State Farm for 12 years, and never submitted a claim. Just meekly paid my premium every 6 months. Didn't matter. So I shopped around. The only one that wasn't a huge increase was Farmer's which is who I'm with.

I know some companies have "one accident forgiveness", I doubt if Farmer's does.
If I had the luxury of choice I would seek one that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Usually your insurance company will protect you (and itself) against these false claims. 1000 is a lot - I would not pay it. I'd go through insurance - it's unlikely your rates will be higher if that's your first accident in 50 years. They probably won't pay it either - they'll want to see her car and verify that the estimate is reasonable and she's only seeking the damages you inflicted. Without them you can't do anything - in the old days, when insurance just handed out checks without looking at the car, people used to shop around for the highest possible estimate. Something totally unreasonable. Then they'd cash the check and get the car fixed cheaper, pocketing the profit. If you don't use your insurance, you don't really have any resources to do anything about it.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM

it's a bummer that I'm such a careful driver, and one second of distraction, or inattention, whatever it was, can cause such trouble.

oh, I know it is so minor as compared to auto accidents. No one was hurt. someone I know is in the hospital as a result of an auto accident, with 17 broken ribs, and collapsed lung.
Ouch! Terrible.

so I should keep this in perspective.

I guess the bad part for me is that - now -whenever I drive, I'm nervous, thinking that if I did something stupid once, I could do it again.

But a friend gave me good advice: she suggests before I get in my car, stand at the door, and do a little meditation - to the effect of staying focused.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:31 PM

486 posts, read 829,257 times
Since there is a police report file a claim with your insurance company since it will be on your driving record either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business