Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJinkins View Post
The amount you are legally required to pay is 7.65% of the employee's pay. That is the matching amount for social security and Medicare.

Everything else is optional and up to you if you want to take the risk.
Well, this is true. But if you aren't providing health insurance and other benefits, good luck getting quality people to work for you even in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Depends on...
Mostly it depends on reading the question actually asked... then answering THAT.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Mostly it depends on reading the question actually asked... then answering THAT.
Actually, I did read the question. But the question in and of itself is vague. A $15-an-hour worker might be a burger flipper or janitor. Or she could be full-time clerical worker fresh out of high school. Depending on the geographic market, $30,000 could be a pretty adequate starting salary. Who knows? In that situation, once you add in healthcare and benefits, that $30,000 salary could suddenly become $38K.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
I really don't want to go into details as to why I need this information, but the only question I've asked for is the basics required by law. I know there are other expenses that are a vital part of an employer's expense of having an employees. I only want what's required by law paid by the employer. Medicare, social security, unemployment insurance, workman's comp for a relatively low skill, low risk job. (Have I missed anything?)

Some of you are giving me much more information than I need. I know you are trying to be thorough and I appreciate it, but by throwing it in, it skews the data that I actually need.

So, for the above mentioned, what is a reasonable percent on top of the employee's salary that the employer must pay?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
So, for the above mentioned, what is a reasonable percent on top of the employee's salary
that the employer must pay?
Asked and answered. Twice now.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
Quote:
Asked and answered. Twice now.
Well, I guess my work here is done. I don't dare ask for clarification.

Since I was looking for a consensus and was given numbers from 7.65% to 40% that's just vague enough to get me, well, uhm...nowhere.

Nevermind; I'll ask my accountant.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
We'll pardon me all to hell.... but just exactly was not clear?

Quote:
10-15% should cover the basics.
Quote:
SS/FICA, Unemployment (rates vary) and Workmans Comp (rates vary)
For the basics (absent other information not presented) 20% is an UPPER limit to budget.
10-15% really should do it.

Get the 941 forms and instructions... do a few specific examples
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-941,-Emp...ral-Tax-Return

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Since I was looking for a consensus and was given numbers from 7.65% to 40% that's just vague enough to get me, well, uhm...nowhere.

Nevermind; I'll ask my accountant.
Okay. Let's start with this. Is this full-time or part time? If it isn't full time, is it more than 30 hours a week? Are we talking clerical, fry cook, or ditch digger? I promise that we're not going to reveal your biz secrets here.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJinkins View Post
The amount you are legally required to pay is 7.65% of the employee's pay. That is the matching amount for social security and Medicare.

Everything else is optional and up to you if you want to take the risk.
Not true, there is unemployment insurance and workmans comp to start with and I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting too.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
OP, the paycheck that goes home with your employee is about 1/2 the cost of having him.

You get to pay taxes and disability and unemployment insurance on him. Then, with the new health care laws, health insurance isn't going to be optional.

You have to pay to train him. You have to pay someone to do all the paperwork that is involved with having employees (or spend your own hours, which are not free). Then, unless you are there full time, you have to pay someone to supervise the workers.

At the end, when he leaves, you will have to make the unemployment payments to him until he finds another job.

Screen carefully before you hire someone. A mistake there can cost you a bunch. Not even counting the customers you might lose if your employees are rude or incompetent, or the cost of employee theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business