Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:28 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

If you had the chance to buy a hotel, or build one from the ground up in say, NYC, LA, or Chicago would you?

A co-worker pitched the idea to me about hotels in NYC. She said the rates in NYC are high. But I just looked at them. Unless it is the Mandarin Oriental, or Plaza, the rate is pretty much what they should be, and are not different than a decade ago it seems. I did an internship at a hotel then. So really no growth.

But what do you say? Of course if it is a good idea, then the price for one will already be out of reach. But what about developing one from ground up? If you would build something in a major city, will it be a hotel?

This is all just hypothetical. I do not have the money or means to do anything like this, but I like to dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Offhand... I'd say that the hotel business is a worse choice than restaurants.
And I actually know something about restaurants.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,523 times
If I had enough money to buy a hotel in NYC, I'd be buying a nice home elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Like anything else, IF you have sufficent knowledge, appropriate connections and some LUCK you can probably get a ROI that is close to the industry average. If you do not have the kind of experience that is needed it would be foolish to try running a hotel in one of the MOST competitive cities in the world...

Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Because I don't want to live in NYC, LA, or Chicago, I would not be interested.

However, it is just like any other business. You look at the books, run the figures, find figures independently of those the seller gives you and you run those.

Look at how much deferred maintenance there is and how much it will cost. Look at the neighborhood and find out whether it is going up or down.

Look to see whatever new competition is planned for the neighborhood.

If all the figures work out and the purchase returns enough for your investment, and if you want to run a hotel, then you buy,

Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Good rule of thumb: Never buy a business you don't fully understand.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because I don't want to live in NYC, LA, or Chicago, I would not be interested.

However, it is just like any other business. You look at the books, run the figures, find figures independently of those the seller gives you and you run those.

Look at how much deferred maintenance there is and how much it will cost. Look at the neighborhood and find out whether it is going up or down.

Look to see whatever new competition is planned for the neighborhood.

If all the figures work out and the purchase returns enough for your investment, and if you want to run a hotel, then you buy,
People always think it's that easy. I can't tell you how many people I've encountered who thought that it was just a matter of having good accountants, performing a lot of due diligence, and pumping out a pro forma.

Then reality intrudes to their sorrow. Every kind of business requires a certain aptitude and experience. Personally, there are people who have spent years learning the hotel business. If the OP wants to buy one, then he needs to find a crackajack operations guy, pay him well, offer him a share of the profits, and then pay an accountant who understands hotels to watch the guy like a hawk.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 PM

Of course you guys are right about knowing how to run the business is most important.

I am asking as if, you have the knowledge and experience.

If you are someone who knows what they are doing, or you already have hotels nearby in the exurbs, would having a hotel in the big city near you be a goal for you?

I think maybe a mod can move this to the investing subforum.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Of course you guys are right about knowing how to run the business is most important.

I am asking as if, you have the knowledge and experience.

If you are someone who knows what they are doing, or you already have hotels nearby in the exurbs, would having a hotel in the big city near you be a goal for you?

I think maybe a mod can move this to the investing subforum.
Well, that's a different set of criteria than what you originally asked.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's a different set of criteria than what you originally asked.
Is it always desirable to have that location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business