Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:30 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,919,174 times

Advertisements

Amazon had better do something more than its doing if it wants to stick around. There are a number of companies that are not in it's space but could get into it and it would be bye bye Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM

26,181 posts, read 21,485,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Why not form a business relationship with the USPS? I'm not sure what that might look like - possibly exclusivity rights to ship. It could potentially pull the USPS out of its hole and create a "beck and call" provider for Amazon.

Again, not a full fleshed out thought just thinking out loud more or less.

Do you know who moves usps priority pacakages?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

366 posts, read 942,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Why not form a business relationship with the USPS? I'm not sure what that might look like - possibly exclusivity rights to ship. It could potentially pull the USPS out of its hole and create a "beck and call" provider for Amazon.

Again, not a full fleshed out thought just thinking out loud more or less.
They already have multiple agreements in place with USPS, including Sunday delivery in some cities.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,609,185 times
I don't think Amazon ultimately is interested in having the best delivery system. They are interested in marketshare and by showing they care about having the technology to deliver faster is just marketing.

The only companies in their way right now is Walmart and eBay that has the largest retail and customer base.

In general Amazon is the fastest delivery online but someone can always go to Walmart to get it quicker and if someone wants the item cheapest, eBay poses the biggest threat to them.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:15 PM

893 posts, read 883,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
UPS and FedEx are massive operations. They would never get sold to Amazon.

Amazon could expand to deliver there own goods, but I don't think the savings would be enough to justify expanding operations into a segment that they are unfamiliar with. Not to mention that there would be a huge backlash. Amazon exclusively hires cheap labor for non IT/business operations roles. If they tried to undercut UPS/FedEx, who pay fair wages to their employees, there is a large potential for backlash from the general public.
I'm not sure there would be a backlash if they did the shipping part right. Key word being IF. All it would take is to hire away a couple experienced executives from UPS/Fed Ex and GAME ON. Bezos has shown he's not afraid to jump in and take a chance.

I could see Amazon expanding their own delivery in the metro areas in select/strategic ways. The rural areas would be a HUGE undertaking and I'm guessing they would leave that to the UPS/Fed Ex/USPS.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:21 PM

893 posts, read 883,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Amazon had better do something more than its doing if it wants to stick around. There are a number of companies that are not in it's space but could get into it and it would be bye bye Amazon.

Really? I've been very impressed with Amazon and we do almost all of our online shopping there. It's the very first place I check for anything. I know a TON of people who have Prime.

We are always looking for easier ways to get the stuff we need. Dog food for example. The wife found that it was the same cost to have it delivered to my front door from Amazon as it was to go to the store and lug it off the shelf, to the check out, to the car and into the house. WINNING!!

In my opinion, it's almost like Google in that the reputation they have as THE place to go when you want something.

"Google it" is for information.

"Amazon" is the equal to that IMO. They just need a bit more catchy slogan like "Google it".

However, I'm guessing E-bay was thought of in the same way at one point. The difference to me is that Amazon has a HUGE presence and investment in infrastructure. Meaning distribution centers. They will be hard to supplant unless they just eff it all up somehow.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,188,345 times
Until the last couple of years, everything from Amazon was delivered by UPS. Now lots of times the final delivery is by the USPS, which delays delivery by a day or two or more, plus I don't really trust the USPS to get my stuff to me. Wish Amazon would go back to UPS only.

I also don't really like that when you order something from Amazon, the seller might be other than Amazon. Didn't it used to be Amazon only? Anyway, sometimes the delivery estimates are off because something will be promised by a certainly time, but I have found that sometimes sellers other than Amazon take a long time to ship things. Now when I buy something from Amazon I only buy things that are sold and shipped by Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business