Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Why do "people" even know whether he rents or owns? Besides his own parents, it isn't anyone's business and I don't know why he has to tell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Hell, I own my own business and I'd rent if I could. I hate doing yard work and maintenance.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Here's what I say when some busybody tries to tell me I need to be, own, or do something because somebody else is being, owning, or doing it: "I don't owe you an explanation, and I don't need your approval, but thanks for sharing." Then I just get on with my happy, successful life.
This!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Owning a home doesn't matter. If money were no object, I would like not owning a home and enjoy living wherever I liked and being able to move when I felt like it. If my net worth were $5 to $8 million, I wouldn't want to be tied to a home.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
This doesn't really fit in the business section, this should be in the real estate section. There are a ton of threads on there why does is everyone obsessed with owning a home.

Who cares one way or the other, some people like owning property. Owning is nice in that you don't have landlords stopping by to check on you, telling you how many pets you can have, etc. That's why I own cuz its hard to rent with dogs. That said its nice not being tied down by a home you own. Who cares either way to each their own. Many people are snobs about clothes you wear, car you drive, own or rent, who really cares what others think

Old 04-01-2014, 03:16 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,810,853 times
folks are mis-ingformed and think backwards.

owning a home does not make you wealthy or successful.

being wealthy or succesful lets you own a home if you want.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
What' really odd is people give him "grief" because he doesn't own a home.
Don't truely successful people live in a hotel? They don't cook or clean they just order from the kitchen and have housekeeping clean and take care of their laundry?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
If I still lived in Jersey, I wouldn't own a home. The taxes are just too crippling. But here in the Denver area? It's idiocy to rent, especially when one works from home as I do and has pets.

I bought a house in a nicer neighborhood with all the convenience of my previous location for about what I was paying in rent on a comparable home and property. Yeah, I'm stuck dealing with repairs and whatnot, but the fact that I got a good deal, bought at an ideal time and am building equity means that I am making out good. If I had to sell it tomorrow, I would be just fine.

The OP's friend is doing what's right for him. I'm doing what's right for me. But owning a home shouldn't be viewed as something to be checked off the list of life - it should be approached with the open question in mind as to whether it MAKES SENSE.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Doesn't seem there are too many people on here that thinks he should own a home.

Maybe these people telling him stuff don't realize he has $5million net/cash ?

I could see the argument of buying a home as a good place to build equity , but if you already have a lot of money then it's not an issue.

I bought a home (first home) in 2010 and realized I don't really like housework , maintaining a home ,paying for maintaining etc. It's a tradeoff though as there are advantages to apartment living...of course some places you can rent a house for a reasonable price...but not in L.A

I don't get what business it is of people especially if they aren't affected by his decision.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,150 times
jm,

you know as well as I do, people always having something to say about other peoples lives.

All the while slaving to pay off their over priced homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Doesn't seem there are too many people on here that thinks he should own a home.

Maybe these people telling him stuff don't realize he has $5million net/cash ?

I could see the argument of buying a home as a good place to build equity , but if you already have a lot of money then it's not an issue.

I bought a home (first home) in 2010 and realized I don't really like housework , maintaining a home ,paying for maintaining etc. It's a tradeoff though as there are advantages to apartment living...of course some places you can rent a house for a reasonable price...but not in L.A

I don't get what business it is of people especially if they aren't affected by his decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business