Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
This doesn't sound difficult, but could someone who makes a little more than minimum wage year round establish anything like that? If so, what would be the steps in detail? Also, is there a way to speed things up so that the person saving money accumulates more than $1M?
I knew a school janitor about a decade ago who retired with over $1M. If memory serves, he made about $10 per hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I knew a school janitor about a decade ago who retired with over $1M. If memory serves, he made about $10 per hour.

Well, I guess I should get to work. Can anyone suggest any books, blogs, forums, or groups pursuing the subject?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:03 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
I thought that was covered in number 4.
Fair enough...

But, you can "present" it as appealing, does that mean it is actually appealing? How will you know, have you done a market survey?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:21 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,095 times
Quote:
I think I would be well on my way to starting a successful business if I could do these four things.

1. Clearly state a plan or "vision" for my company.
2. Present information in a way that makes people want to come on board and help me.
3. Organize my operations to a fault and have a prescribed method for everything.
4. Present my company to my customers as an appetizing service that can meet many of their needs.

Did I leave anything out?
You have to figure out how to fund this venture. Also most businesses have low profit margins, for example the typical bar/restaurant/retail store. A professional business like Accounting, or IT services has higher margins, but requires experience in the field usually a decade. These are things to consider.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Having a bankable idea for business. While planning, detail, financing, and all that is good, you still need a pro=duct or service someone wants.
Amen. A family member with a brand new MBA collaborated with a couple classmates & professor to start a new business, invested significant amounts in the website, promotion, planning, social networking, etc. They did everything right except consider the fact that their new, unique, excellent product/service was not wanted - by anyone.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Amen. A family member with a brand new MBA collaborated with a couple classmates & professor to start a new business, invested significant amounts in the website, promotion, planning, social networking, etc. They did everything right except consider the fact that their new, unique, excellent product/service was not wanted - by anyone.
But you can't pay for the experience they gained... I love failure... love success more, but failure helps build success in business. Nothing like a hard lesson to make you get something right the next time. Better to get it right the first time though. lol

Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
Obviously, the more you can save, the more money you will have over time, so a larger income definitely helps, IF you maintain a modest lifestyle. The problem with a lot of people is that their spending ramps up the more they make. But the papers often carry stories about blue collar working class folk who after they shuffle off our mortal coil end up having net worths of one million and more dollars. And no one around them had a clue.

So yes, it can be done on a low income. Start early, and invest at least 15% of your take home in low-cost index funds. If you can save more, do it. NEVER touch that money--do not panic during inevitable market corrections, but stay the course. Learn to pay yourself first, and you'll never notice the money. Live within your means on the remainder.

Statistically speaking, this strategy offers a greater chance of success than starting a business.

Quote:
This doesn't sound difficult, but could someone who makes a little more than minimum wage year round establish anything like that? If so, what would be the steps in detail? Also, is there a way to speed things up so that the person saving money accumulates more than $1M?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Off the top of my head,
  • What is the TAM? (total available market)
  • What share of market can you acquire?
  • What are the barriers to entry?
  • What intellectual property to you have, and how will you protect it?
  • What are your capital requirements, and where will it come from?
  • Who will be your suppliers and under what terms?
  • What are the resumes of your key employees?
  • What fellow travellers might you depend upon?
  • Who is your competition, and how will you beat them?

OK, I haven't actually written a business plan in several years, but you've got to cover these items as well (or convince yourself they don't matter).

In your list in your original post, you seem to place an emphasis on operational effectiveness. Note that there have been some scholarly articles published by business school professors that say that great companies have a focus on sales, or on marketing, or on operations - but not all 3. You seem to be choosing operations. Great operational companies that come to mind include FedEx & Intel & Walmart, for example. Yes, they do sales and marketing, but their key is operations. There are other companies that are great sales companies (Oracle), and great marketing companies (Apple).

Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
But you can't pay for the experience they gained... I love failure... love success more, but failure helps build success in business. Nothing like a hard lesson to make you get something right the next time. Better to get it right the first time though. lol
Totally agree! Everyone I know who has a successful business, including me, had to go through at least one failure before we got it right.

It was just hard to sit back and watch so much cash wash away until they decided to close it down.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:41 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Totally agree! Everyone I know who has a successful business, including me, had to go through at least one failure before we got it right.

This is absolutely not the norm.......Plenty of successful businesses got it right on day 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business