Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:09 AM

14,472 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
woooohhh didn't see this coming!
Updates to the eBay User Agreement, User Privacy Notice, and Money Back Guarantee.
eBay will not be asking buyers who open not-as-described case and will let them keep the item and yet charge sellers reimbursement - Am I reading this correct?

New Paypal rules on the way:
And last but not least, you'll see some updates to our User Agreement that go into effect November 18, 2014. If you're interested in all the details, our Policy Updates Page. Here are the highlights:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

• We're extending buyer protection to include item not received claims for custom made products.

----------------------------------------------------
Buyers will have an extra 135 days to break it or lose it or damage it.

They might as well let the buyer use the d--- item for two years and then ask for a refund.

Last edited by howard555; 10-07-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:27 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
New Paypal rules on the way:
And last but not least, you'll see some updates to our User Agreement that go into effect November 18, 2014. If you're interested in all the details, our Policy Updates Page. Here are the highlights:

• We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.

• We're extending buyer protection to include item not received claims for custom made products.

----------------------------------------------------
Buyers will have an extra 135 days to break it or lose it or damage it.

They might as well let the buyer use the d--- item for two years and then ask for a refund.
That is way too long. Can UPS or USPS even investigate an "item not delivered" that isn't reported for 6 months?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That is way too long. Can UPS or USPS even investigate an "item not delivered" that isn't reported for 6 months?
A check that is lost is not considered 100% lost for 6 months. So that is an example of 180 days being a very long term time limit.

The postal service won't let you file a lost package or lost letter report for 21 business days.

Changing 45 days to 180 is a big jump.
If the time frame to leave Ebay feedback is still 45 days then what happens if a buyer leaves a positive and then after 45 days they decide the item was not as described?

Ebay fees are 10% and PP is 2.9% so seller's pay 13% right off the bat before the 30 cents transaction fee for PP. And some categories have listing fees of 30 cents.

A $10 item and the fees are $1.00 + .60 = $1.60 = 16%

Old 10-07-2014, 04:00 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
I noticed they also extended buyer protection from 45 days to 6 months, that's ridiculous, what kind of problem are you not going to discover for 6 months?

Not sure if they'll do away with restocking fees. Not sure the rhyme or reason to who is allowed to use them but in one of my stores I'm allowed to charge a 20% restocking fee on returns while on another I'm not. It kind of discourages returns over stupid trivial things which I like.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:22 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I noticed they also extended buyer protection from 45 days to 6 months, that's ridiculous, what kind of problem are you not going to discover for 6 months?

Not sure if they'll do away with restocking fees. Not sure the rhyme or reason to who is allowed to use them but in one of my stores I'm allowed to charge a 20% restocking fee on returns while on another I'm not. It kind of discourages returns over stupid trivial things which I like.
Is it your newer store or older store that lets you do 20% restock fee? I've seen it floating around and considering it if I'm eligible. Pretty much a way to let my buyers "rent" my expensive items which is what a lot want to do anyways.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

Is it your newer store or older store that lets you do 20% restock fee? I've seen it floating around and considering it if I'm eligible. Pretty much a way to let my buyers "rent" my expensive items which is what a lot want to do anyways.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
It's my older store that allows me to do this but not that big of a difference in time maybe a matter of months so unless policy was changed and I was grandfathered in not sure why. I like it because it discourages returns and if someone does return something heck 20% will pretty much always cover shipping plus some and then I get to resell the item to the next guy. I also like it because ideally I wouldn't offer returns but with it being a requirement to be a top rated seller or power seller I do but with the 20% restocking fee.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
It's kinda funny, it's the sellers generate Ebays income/profits, but they cater to the buyers not the sellers. Ebay is getting down right hostile to sellers, they pretty much destroyed the feedback rating system, they take a cut of your shipping fees and now they are forcing the seller to pay for return shipping. I pray for the day another auction site has enough traction to be serious competition against Ebay, the day that happens, Ebay will be out of business in short order.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
It's kinda funny, it's the sellers generate Ebays income/profits, but they cater to the buyers not the sellers. Ebay is getting down right hostile to sellers, they pretty much destroyed the feedback rating system, they take a cut of your shipping fees and now they are forcing the seller to pay for return shipping.
Forcing the seller to pay return shipping? Where do you see that. It has been that the buyer paid return shipping if they wanted a full refund.

Another nice feature changed today or this week. For the last few months, when you re-listed an item and it did not sell, it was automatically re-listed up to 3 times. That has now changed to 1 time = more manual listings unless you use some software to list stuff automatically.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
It's kinda funny, it's the sellers generate Ebays income/profits, but they cater to the buyers not the sellers. Ebay is getting down right hostile to sellers, they pretty much destroyed the feedback rating system, they take a cut of your shipping fees and now they are forcing the seller to pay for return shipping. I pray for the day another auction site has enough traction to be serious competition against Ebay, the day that happens, Ebay will be out of business in short order.
I get why ebay protects buyers if buyers can't buy with confidence their whole business is down the drain. I also understand favoring buyers a bit because we are dealing with individuals and not professional businesses who have a business reputation to upkeep however its been heavily slanted towards buyers for a longtime to the point of sellers leaving and they take it even further which makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business