Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 01:01 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,729,352 times

Advertisements

Target is my first choice, but none by me. I've been won over by the 2 new Walmarts in our area. We eat healthy and they have the freshest, by far, produce in town. And it's at a great price.

The Walmart hate is being pushed by unions. I don't know why they don't go after Target too.

Funny story, many years ago I worked part time at UPS and was forced to become a Teamster. We'd get Teamster newsletters all the time with articles bashing Walmart. However, we made less as Teamsters than the Walmart employees, and we had to pay dues. I'm sure it's still the same for part timers at UPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 PM

338 posts, read 421,236 times
Wal-Mart- oh god no. That's what Fred Meyer's, Cash & Carry and Winco are for.

Target - it is what it is. I don't shop there, but then, I don't not shop there either.

K-Mart... what Hemlock140 said. The only one in town is now a church and the next closest one is a 20-minute drive away in east Portland. Though they were a lot of phun because you could call into their ancient ROLM CBX from an outside line, pretend you were from another store and con them into transferring you to the PA, which was on extension 1150...

Oh boy, we had a phield day with them!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Curious as to the Walmart haters out there... Because i've got one that has married into the family.. To her.. Walmart is pure evil.. But Target is a shining example of how business should be run.

Me, personally.. Walmart is closer to me, so that's where I go. If there were a Kmart close by, I wouldn't go there, because the stores are old and dingy and not laid out well.

Walmart also seems to have the better prices.. But there are things that I won't buy from them.. Fruit is one.. Every Walmart i've been in has an infestation of fruit flies.

So, i'm trying to get an understanding of why people think one is so much better. More focused on the people who absolutely will not shop at another one, be it Walmart or Target.

I'd say I want some ammo to use against her.. But I can buy that at Walmart. Really, i'm just curious to the logic.. She hates Chick-Fil-A because of their donation patterns.. Told her if she started a business making millions of dollars a year, she could donate to the charities of her choice. Not that I agree with the Truett family decision on the types of organizations they donate to, but.. Their chicken sandwich is too good to stay mad at them about.

The biggest arguments that I hear against Walmart is that the pay is so low.. Looking at glassdoor.com, the pay seems to be about the same in both places. Walmart comes in and destroys small businesses.. Target does the same thing.

Target does offer benefits to same sex couples.. The .001% that actually qualify for them.. Since they dropped all benefits for part time employees earlier this year.

Or.. Does it simply come down to the fact that one or the other is more convenient for you? Perhaps you like the protein in the fruit flies from Walmart? Maybe thing Target is laid out better? Always shopped at Kmart so you still go there? Or.. The "Screw them all.. I go to Giant/Shoppers/Winn-Dixie/Bi-Lo/Safeway/whatever"

If you're a Walmart hater.. Where do you shop, and what is your reason for hating Walmart?
I like the Walmart superstores... frankly because the prices are cheap, don't need a "card" to get fair prices, don't need coupons, etc. Plus, everything is right there in one place. I don't have to drive around to two or three different places.

But I do tend to like Giant for my meats, veggies and fruits.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:49 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Prefer Target first, then Kmart, then China-mart (Walmart). No particular reason except when I go to Target things seem to be neat and orderly as opposed to the other two. Prices, I have found, don't vary much between Target and Kmart. If I want something cheap and don't care about the quality I will go to Walmart. I remember well the days before Walmart in my area. Ames, Woolworths, Grants. That was a whole 'nother era when our dollar was worth considerably more than it is today.
So.. The "China-mart" comment.. Why do you think Walmart sells more China made goods than Target? I'd think they sell mostly the same goods, and most of those goods are made overseas.. Found this article, which is 2 years old and seems biased, but.. How does Target compare to K-Mart and Wal-Mart when it comes to selling American-made products? | Alliance for American Manufacturing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Target is my first choice, but none by me. I've been won over by the 2 new Walmarts in our area. We eat healthy and they have the freshest, by far, produce in town. And it's at a great price.
Now there.. I will disagree with you.. I refuse to buy produce from Walmart anymore. Every one that I have been to.. The produce is infested with fruit flies. Things like grapes and cherries.. I've pulled them out and they've had mold growing on them. Perhaps it's just the ones here like that.. but.. I go to Ingles for produce. Prices are comparable, quality is miles better.

Not a fan of the meat department, either. None of it is on-site.. I go to a supermarket, they actually have butchers.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:53 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,425 times
I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart produce either. Every time I've bought peaches or nectarines from them I swear they were previously frozen, they just had a very weird, mealy texture to them.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
I try to avoid shopping Walmart, but might go there for some specific item on sale. While there we might pick up a couple food items but never fill a grocery cart. We grocery shop at Meijer which is a mile further down the road.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
So.. The "China-mart" comment.. Why do you think Walmart sells more China made goods than Target? I'd think they sell mostly the same goods, and most of those goods are made overseas.. Found this article, which is 2 years old and seems biased, but.. How does Target compare to K-Mart and Wal-Mart when it comes to selling American-made products? | Alliance for American Manufacturing

Now there.. I will disagree with you.. I refuse to buy produce from Walmart anymore. Every one that I have been to.. The produce is infested with fruit flies. Things like grapes and cherries.. I've pulled them out and they've had mold growing on them. Perhaps it's just the ones here like that.. but.. I go to Ingles for produce. Prices are comparable, quality is miles better.

Not a fan of the meat department, either. None of it is on-site.. I go to a supermarket, they actually have butchers.
Same here, I never buy meat or produce there. Costco or Fred Meyer for meat and fish, Farmer's Market (summer) or our local Asian market Uwajimaya for produce, meat and fish.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:

That fruit flies thing is just weird. At our store the only 'bad' produce is stuff that came that way on the truck. There are always at least two, and usually, three people working in produce culling, stocking and straightening everything out. Sometimes they'll get a whole case of 'starting to go' strawberries or something and it won't even go out on the floor. They are VERY picky about it. Maybe your store(s) need better management.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:24 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Target - neat, organized, clean, usually no long lines at the register.
Wal Mart - filled with nasty slobs and screaming children.
K Mart - looks like the last time someone cleaned or updated the store was sometime in the mid-80s

The products are basically the same, so I opt for the store that's clean, well lit, and not inhabited by land whales blocking the entire aisle while loading up their scooter with frozen burritos.

Target does have a much better clothing selection (both style and quality) than the other two, but I generally don't buy anything from that section.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
I think it is the way target markets itself. It is bright and better organized then walmart. I think that is the only difference. I never heard anyone who I know who worked at target singing their praises. They only worked there till they got a better job.

A lot of the hype is pure snobbery. It is hip to go to target and just so low class to shop at walmart. They have no idea the wages of target or how they treat their employees as compared to walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business