Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I think it is the way target markets itself. It is bright and better organized then walmart. I think that is the only difference. I never heard anyone who I know who worked at target singing their praises. They only worked there till they got a better job.

A lot of the hype is pure snobbery. It is hip to go to target and just so low class to shop at walmart. They have no idea the wages of target or how they treat their employees as compared to walmart.
I think you're right. Isn't it funny that everyone who never goes to Walmart always seems to know the size of the shoppers?? The stereotypes just aren't true.

I do agree about Target clothes being cuter.

As for K-Mart - I still go to ours for bedding and outdoor lawn furniture/decor and pool supplies/toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
Quote:
I think it is the way target markets itself. It is bright and better organized then walmart. I think that is the only difference. I never heard anyone who I know who worked at target singing their praises. They only worked there till they got a better job.

A lot of the hype is pure snobbery. It is hip to go to target and just so low class to shop at walmart. They have no idea the wages of target or how they treat their employees as compared to walmart.
I'll second this (or third, technically)

A lot of it is ignorance and snobbery -- and that makes for a lot of hypocrites. For someone to not shop at Walmart -- but shop at Target is just ridiculous. But is it really any different from a lot of hypocrisy and ignorance that we see? And although it does have its ramifications -- at least it might be one of the least damaging manifestations of it. (As compared to in politics let's say)

Is it short-sighted to shop only by price....-- personally and in the bigger social/economic scheme? Greater minds than mine have been debating that for decades.

Personally, I'm about price and what it costs me out of MY pocketbook. And I love me some Walmart. Target costs more. Just nickels, I know. But nickels become dimes, become quarters, become dollars. It's all how the stores are marketed. I read a GREAT business biography that told the stories of how Walmart was founded by a DISCOUNTER, and Target was founded by a DEPARTMENT STORE chain. Thus -- the different LOOKS and atmosphere to the stores....regarding lighting, shelving, aisles etc. And once I read that, it all clicked as to why people may have a certain 'feel' about the stores. That -- plus marketing and perception -- and you have part of the answer as to why people may think a certain way about the companies.

But, as I said, I'm all about price -- so Walmart gets my vote.
I buy SOME clothes there. I buy some housewares there. It just depends.
I don't buy much food there for ME because I buy a lot of organic, low sodium, health food, and international cuisine items that Walmart doesn't sell. BUT I do buy most of my mom's food there. I just like the one stop shopping aspect of the stores -- especially the Supercenters! As I like to joke....where else can you buy eggs, fruit, milk, meat, and bread -- a faucet for the sink and tires for your car! (That's NOT a wholesale or membership club)

Old 09-22-2014, 03:10 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart produce either. Every time I've bought peaches or nectarines from them I swear they were previously frozen, they just had a very weird, mealy texture to them.
I find Walmart produce "iffy" as well...not always bad but I've gotten some that didn't last a day
without starting to go bad...I get a lot of my produce at Safeway when I pick up my scripts there.
Daughter says her Target has a good food section but our Target doesn't offer that. One of our two
Kmarts closed down, I didn't go there often since we got a new Walmart in our area that was nicer.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:56 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I have no problem with anyone saying that they just like Target better.. It's the whole attitude of "Oh, I don't shop at Walmart because they don't pay their employees a living wage.. That's why I shop at Target"..

I have a Target and a Walmart close enough to each other (Less than a quarter mile) that it really wouldn't matter which I went to.. I tend to gravitate towards Walmart more because it's actually easier to get in and out of.

As for Target being better organized.. To be honest.. I can't tell it.. I go to almost any Walmart, I know right where everything is.. Sometimes the stores are 'flipped', with the food on the right side and merchandise on the left.. But, almost all of them, straight back in the middle of the store is the electronics department.. Cleanliness.. I will admit that the Targets SEEM cleaner.. But, I think that's more an optical illusion than anything. Most Walmarts use quite a bit of natural light in them. Price is generally slightly less at Walmart, but.. The difference is like driving 5 miles to a gas station that has a penny cheaper gas. So.. Really, it's a wash.. If Target was more convenient to get in and out of, I'd probably go there.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Kmart has for the most part gone out of business near me, I never liked Kmart, didn't think the selection was great, didn't like their store brand stuff or even necessarily stuff they carrried, didn't like how the stores were laid out, etc.

Walmart some Walmarts are really nice, others are terrible. The walmart by me we just got a new one built and they shutdown the dirty old nasty one but lines are long and I'm not a huge fan so dont go that much.

I love Target, I think Target is a step above in quality, all be it costs a bit more as well. There's a funny meme or something about Target and Walmart, says something like Target, pay a little more so you don't have to deal with Walmart shoppers and shows some like white trash lady with her gut hanging out of her shirt and a pair of sweatpants on lol.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times
I find the photos of Walmart shoppers with their behinds showing, and boobs hanging or guts hanging out absolutely hysterical.

Do I really need to see all that? No. But 1) it's entertaining in a sad, pitiful, judgmental sort of way....and 2) I'm in there to get in-and-out, do MY shopping, and for as inexpensively as possible. So I really don't care much about OTHER shoppers and what they do or how they dress.

I think Walmart is great. I usually just see no need to go to Target or Kmart so I hardly ever go. My last Kmart purchase was -- a shower curtain -- 10 years ago. My last Target buy was 2 years ago -- and it was 2 ottomans that I went there specifically to get.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I find the photos of Walmart shoppers with their behinds showing, and boobs hanging or guts hanging out absolutely hysterical.

Do I really need to see all that? No. But 1) it's entertaining in a sad, pitiful, judgmental sort of way....and 2) I'm in there to get in-and-out, do MY shopping, and for as inexpensively as possible. So I really don't care much about OTHER shoppers and what they do or how they dress.

I think Walmart is great. I usually just see no need to go to Target or Kmart so I hardly ever go. My last Kmart purchase was -- a shower curtain -- 10 years ago. My last Target buy was 2 years ago -- and it was 2 ottomans that I went there specifically to get.
It is fun to log onto "The People of Walmart" but we have been to all 4 in our area plus a couple of more across the water in Poulsbo and Sequim and there just aren't any people like that there. We did witness a fistfight at the checkout one time in Poulsbo but the people involved appeared perfectly normal. We did also see a few people that could have made the website in the Redding, CA Walmart last summer. I suspect that the pictures are coming from stores in more economically challenged areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business