Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What isn't? What I said surely is true.

Not if it's actually legal it won't. (the point I made).

Try to tax what anyone can grow in their back garden. Try.
When legal and free is the market competition... how high can the (product) go?

It's not manufactured nor does it require processing.
It's LESS complicated to cultivate than $5 per POUND asparagus.

Beer hops are a better comparable and they sell for $3 per POUND.
(VS: your example of highly sophisticated fermenting, brewing and such...
let alone the volumetric aspect. Few will want than a few ounces a year.
--

Imports and exotics? Sure. They can and will be a bit higher priced.
Those might go to as much as $30 a POUND.

But when few users will use (buy) more than a few ounces per year...
Even taxation on top of that $5 -$30 per pound prices can only go so high.
I agree many people will grow, however like anything people are lazy and don't want to work. You could distill liquor in your basement, why don't people? I could change my own oil but I still go to jiffy lube. I could cook my own meals but I still eat out alot.

Many people make it seem like growing pot is easy. I guess if you throw some seeds outside they will probably grow but yeild wil be low, quality will be bad and it will be full of seeds. TO actually grow halfway decent pot you have to know how to keep the ph balanced which isn't easy as well as what nutes to use, in what amoutns and when. its not as easy as people make it out to be. Granted some people will enjoy doing it as a hobby but the masses will not be growing. ALso yeah you could grow a plant with some cfl bulbs from home depot but again it will be crap, if someoen seriously wanted to grow enouhg evne for themself and have it not suck it would be an investment of a grand or a few for lights, a tent, fans, nutrients, proper soil, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 08:51 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
ARe the growers in Mexico legit farmers, or is it also illegal in Mexico, and is grown by the cartels?
Marijuana is decriminalized in mexico in small quanitites but large amounts and large scale cultivation is illegal. Obviously mexico is corrupt so it still goes on. There are rules about how plant matter, fruits veggies etc has to come into the country be checked for bugs and what not. Also I think things comming in get import taxes or tarrifs as well. Its not just like hey bring in as much mexican weed as you want.

Also in the past few years legal and illegal marijuana has been a shift from crap weed to good weed. Watch some youtube stuff about dispenseries. People are really connousuiers of marijuana. They are very picky about what they sell, only organic grown, must be gorwn and cured right, have a good taste, etc. THey are not just gonna be taking garbage bags of crap brick weed just b/c its cheap

Old 10-11-2014, 09:17 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana is already grown dirt cheap in Mexico. If it is legalized, that cheap pot will be loaded onto trucks and legally shipped by the container full into the USA. Legalization removes the high cost of moving the product to the consumer.

The MJ users I know can be pretty self centered. I can't see them paying the price for organic hand grown local pot when the stuff from Mexico costs 10 cents on the dollar and can be purchased at the local 7-11 in packages of 20 cigarettes. I suspect that most marijuana smokers are already smoking product from Mexico and no reason for them to change, especially when it is lots cheaper to just continue what they are already doing. They aren't going to start paying higher prices to support local growers. They want their high and that is as far as the thought process goes.

Places where labor is cheap have already put many American produce growers out of business. Pot won't be any different. It will be grown where labor is cheap and shipped to the States. If you want a pot business, you will compete with the people who can afford to purchase an entire container load at one time.
That's like comparing a Ford to a Lamborghini. One can also go to the liquor store and pay $2 for a 40oz of some crap beer, or pay $12 for one 22oz bottle. There are tons of people who would not touch cheap pot with another person's lips.

It really seems like you don't know what you are talking about, or perhaps the people you know are not reflective of the entire population of pot consumers.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
By keeping them from going to full on legalization.
Once MJ is actually legal... there will be no more profits from it than from asparagus.
yeah, legalization is going to knock the profit margins way down. it will reduce the risk of dying in a drive by shooting though.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
NYC is a conservative dump that pretends its liberal mecca. Weed is stilla divise issue here and we are clearly not in the same league as California, Washington, and Colorado.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:33 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana is already grown dirt cheap in Mexico. If it is legalized, that cheap pot will be loaded onto trucks and legally shipped by the container full into the USA. Legalization removes the high cost of moving the product to the consumer.
I do not know how other states are handling the legalized production of Marijuana, but in NJ, it has to be grown in this state for it to be sold in the dispensaries. So there will be no legalized shipments of Marijuana from Mexico. There are huge shipping terminals in New Jersey, so it's not shipping the product across state lines they are worried about.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:41 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I admit I have several acres which are currently rented out to a nursery. I could see making much much more in growing pot. I would have to hire someone with growing skills- probably go to Jamaica or my local HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business