Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 03:40 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Sure you lose some customization of doing a scratch built site but after calling around and getting quoted 15k, 17k, 20k for a simple ecommerce site I'll save 20 grand and use shopify.
Lol were you calling top agencies in your city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Lol were you calling top agencies in your city?
Yes, I guess it would be expected that local more boutique agencies charge more. I was surprised even smaller operations were charging a whole heck of a lot of money. My first website I got made by an Indian company. Really cheap like 2300. I had ben told something similar made in teh US would cost me about 10k or more but didn't believe it.

Reason I'm looking for a local company is when dealing with an indian company if I have a confrence call with them its at like 1am my time. There's also some language and cultural differences that make things more difficult. I would never use them to write content as it comes out not making sense to an American.

I was hoping to find a local company I could actually sit down with face to face but so far no luck. I found a few companies out of cali doing it for like 3400 but wasn't as impressed with them as some of the others.

ONe other word of advice, I have heard many US companies involved in SEO, web design, PPC managemetn basically just outsource all the work to India and act as a middleman so many times your paying thousands of dollars just to have someone be the go between for you and you get to avoid the 1am calls and language barrier headaches.

After finding shopify I'm thinking for $19 a month though there are some shortcommings to what I can do its worth it to go with shopify and save myself 20k.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Yea sounds like a bad experience. As long as shopify solves the problem I would use it too. Honestly 70% of Web design companies are not worth the time, most are not truely qualifed.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Quote:
Yea sounds like a bad experience. As long as shopify solves the problem I would use it too. Honestly 70% of Web design companies are not worth the time, most are not truely qualifed.
Great point, a good web designer is worht their weight in gold but seeing as how really anyone can say they are a web designer you gotta kiss alot of frogs to find a prince as they say. What i mean by that is if you go on elance or craigslist or whatever to hire someone your really rolling the dice. Some aren't responsive, some aren't good at taking guidance from someone without the tech knowledge to know all their options and communicate them to the client.

One problem I have with many is this. I have ideas in my head but don't know whats possible for a webdesigner to do and not do as I don't know if certain codes or programs have the ability to do this or that. A good web designer knows web dsign but also knows how to communicate those options in lamens terms to the client. Also a good webdesigner should be somewhat intuitive and be able to offer suggestions and options that the client may not think to ask

Old 12-01-2014, 05:06 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
True. I started with easy and then went more complex building my own site. As good as the few thousand some wanted. I am just a regular guy who knew what I wanted my site to look like. Now folks I know want me to do their sites when they see mine.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

120 posts, read 229,151 times
I personally love Jimdo!.. I have two websites under them. One "professional" version and one free one that i use as an online resume/personal business website.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 PM

398 posts, read 746,495 times
Hi all, what would you recommend for someone like me who just has an idea about a product? I haven't done anything yet, but I just want to register my domain first in case someone else takes it. It will eventually be e-commerce and selling up to 25 products (hopefully, lol!) but like I said, in the beginning stages so I have nothing yet, just want the domain!
Also, I skimmed through this thread and a few people suggested wordpress.. how come when I tried registering through godaddy, it's like bidding of over $3k but on wordpress, it's like $18/year? Does that mean I won't own the domain but wordpress does?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Hi all, what would you recommend for someone like me who just has an idea about a product? I haven't done anything yet, but I just want to register my domain first in case someone else takes it. It will eventually be e-commerce and selling up to 25 products (hopefully, lol!) but like I said, in the beginning stages so I have nothing yet, just want the domain!
Also, I skimmed through this thread and a few people suggested wordpress.. how come when I tried registering through godaddy, it's like bidding of over $3k but on wordpress, it's like $18/year? Does that mean I won't own the domain but wordpress does?
That means the domain name you want to purchase is valued at $3,000. Not every domain is $12.99/year. In some cases its worth purchasing a high value domain due to the traffic it will receive from specific keywords.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:33 AM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
Title says it all

I'm in the beginning stages of starting my business. Which website builder would y'all recommend?

Two things...

First even the WYSIWYG Site builders will soon fail to meet a need you may have. At which point you will need to invest in some learning materials for PHP, HTML, Java or at least Java Script. MySQL would be a good relation Database to learn. Wordpress is fine and is what is called a LAMP stack. Linux, Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

Having said all that allot of site are built with dreamweaver. Again eventually you will need to learn HTML and PHP and some others coding languages. Check out W3 Schools free online classes in Web languages.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:07 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Two things...

First even the WYSIWYG Site builders will soon fail to meet a need you may have. At which point you will need to invest in some learning materials for PHP, HTML, Java or at least Java Script. MySQL would be a good relation Database to learn. Wordpress is fine and is what is called a LAMP stack. Linux, Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

Having said all that allot of site are built with dreamweaver. Again eventually you will need to learn HTML and PHP and some others coding languages. Check out W3 Schools free online classes in Web languages.
Good advice if the poster is inclined to do it and has the time to invest in learning how to do it right.

If not, hire someone who knows what they're doing so your web site isn't broken and riddled with security holes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business