Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:53 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting idea. Maybe targeting or marketing to recovering alcoholic might be a good way to go about it?

I do think it would be challenging since people have been going to bars in order to drink alcohol for hundreds of years.

I think you'd have to really think outside the box somehow and have something else that is a draw, like live music and other types of activities. Something like a cool coffeeshop .

I've heard of 'after hours' clubs that dont serve alcohol too.

Maybe something like that where people could go to wind down or sober up , rather than drinking more alcohol?
I always thought there was a market for some public place to go hangout that wasn't a bar but still had a social atmosphere. The nice thing about a bar is that people go there to mingle, meet others, etc. Sure you could say a coffee shop is a public meeting place but I don't think people realy want to or expect to be approached in a coffee shop in terms of mingling, dating, etc.

I think there's definately a market for some type of social atmosphere like a bar but without alcohol, the challenge however comes in figuring out how to monetize it as at a bar people are drinking beer after beer all night with shots mixed in, lots of sales and high volume item. At a non alcoholic place people aren't going to be ordering 6-10 cokes like they would beers so I think that's where the challenge comes in.

I'm in my late 20's but kind of out of the drinking phase. I like to drink every now and again but many nights I'd like to go be social just don't feel like drinking so wont go to a bar. I'd probably frequent some place like this if it had the right atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
All good opinions and advice, thanks.

It will be a challenge due to the the popularity of alcohol. Even though in the 21st century, with science, we know that alcohol is horrible for the health of ones body, yet people continue and will always, IMO, continue to use and abuse it. I'm not a hater of other peoples activities as long as they do not harm others (but alcohol does - domestic violence, DUI, manslaughter DUI, etc). Instead of regression I think people might hold onto progression and instead of paying top dollar to destroy your brain and liver they might take that money and improve their health instead, that is essentially the challenge. It would have to become socially acceptable and fun to be healthy, which is the hard part. Alcohol is a drug, and people are simply addicted to or just see themselves needing the drug to socialize.

It would be a huge uphill battle against everything American, and by that I mean everything in today's business world. No one cares about your health in the business world, there is no money in being healthy. Instead our society and our business economics revolves around the dollar.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,549 times
That does kinda remind me of church lol.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
I could possibly see a niche for a non-alcoholic sports "bar"...like for people who want to get together and watch a sports game in a social setting, but don't want to be around alcohol for whatever reason. The problem would be making such a venue profitable. Most people expect to get free refills on soda, etc. Hard to make money off someone who comes in, pays $3.00 for a Coke, and then sits there without buying anything else. The other problem with being a sports venue is that it limits you to maybe 70-80 nights a year of having an event going on, though.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:14 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but do you think a business idea with a natural health bar would be one that would work in today's society? People pack into loud nasty bars to drink poison and get wild, would the reverse of these bars work as a business? I'm not saying I would want to start one, but I think a social place for the health conscious would be something marketable? Maybe not.
here's my idea

a smoothie/tea bar that's part of a health club

and
guest chef's (members) will be video'd making there favorite healthy smoothie/tea/appetizer/entree'

and there will be food warmers so you can take one home after you work out

there will be flat screen TV's playing back/scrolling the guest chef presentations of making healthy foods, many of these items will be on the sit down menu and we will have an app that people can order ahead, the specials of the days -the app will let you scroll down thru pics and videos of whats on the menu

there will be books and "share books" and dvd's amongst members

these videos will be on youtube so members could also reference them

we will also have cold refrigerated displays for cut fruit trays and veggie salads to go

I have a great name for this place,,,but don't want to make it public,,,,,

you could easily have a "singles night" "happy hour"
and "afterwork" promotions

wine will also be served

Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I could possibly see a niche for a non-alcoholic sports "bar"...like for people who want to get together and watch a sports game in a social setting, but don't want to be around alcohol for whatever reason. The problem would be making such a venue profitable. Most people expect to get free refills on soda, etc. Hard to make money off someone who comes in, pays $3.00 for a Coke, and then sits there without buying anything else. The other problem with being a sports venue is that it limits you to maybe 70-80 nights a year of having an event going on, though.
For some reason this brought to mind stripclubs that don't serve alcohol.

Sex sells of course so they don't need to sell alcohol.

I was in an Apple store last night and I was thinking about how it's pretty amazing the Apple stores pretty much always seem to be packed.

I could see possibly using the Apple store concept and having different areas of the space dedicated to different things.

There could be an area for speakers on different health topics , herbal medicines ,etc.

Also there could be tea tastings with someone explaining the different types of teas, the benefits of each, where they are brewed. Kind of like a wine tasting. People probably won't have 5 or 6 teas there but there could be money made on tea that is sold for home too.

I read an article about this no-alcohol nightclub in suburban Chicago
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...serve-alcohol/

I took a look at their website and it looks like they are a nonprofit.

http://the-other-side.org/about/

So while these places seem rare , it's not unheard of .

The other thing I can think of is perhaps charging a pretty decent cover in lieu of making profit off alcohol, but you'd likely have to offer something special for that.
I think if you could guarantee more women than men and some really great entertainment, then guys would be willing to pay it.

Another thing I think about is all these Vapor bars , which don't serve alcohol..but they are still serving the drug of nicotine. Vapor appears to be healthier than smoking though, so some of these places are marketing it as a "healthy " alternative to smoking too.

Last edited by jm1982; 12-09-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business