U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What company would you use for maid service?
MOLLY MAID SERVICE 1 100.00%
SEARS MAID SERVICE 0 0%
MERRY MAID SERVICE 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:20 AM

330 posts, read 927,164 times

Advertisements

Just looking to see your feelings on these companies and why you would or would not hire them?

I am looking in to buying a maid franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:21 AM

26,878 posts, read 57,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
I am looking in to buying a (fill in the blank) franchise.
Here's the deal on franchises: People find comfort in familiarity.
If I'm traveling through Atlanta and my muffler craps out ...where am I going?
If your niece had the same problem and called you for help... where do you send her?

Right. We go to MIDAS because they are the biggest and best known and -in the event of-
they're the most likely to stand behind the work 3 months and a 1000 miles away.
---

But a repeating service, especially one that involves coming into our homes, raises different issues.

The one off... just moved to town and want a good ONE TIME thorough job and don't know anyone
or have time to cull through all the ladies with a vacuum on craigslist... they'll start with the best known name.

If the franchisee can actually get a team to that address when needed... then good for them.
They'll have made a single sale.

But when it comes to a continuing relationship then the **individual** doing the work
both at a personal/trust level but also of course the quality of the work being done
balanced against the -week in week out- cost is what will matter.

The lady with a vacuum (and a CL ad) can do most of that by word of mouth.
Just as it always has been done.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,441 posts, read 50,681,531 times
I didn't vote, because I wouldn't hire a maid service. I suppose if I ever buy a vacation home in another state and rented it out I would have to, but then I'd probably look for a non-franchise private person to do it. With a franchise you never know who will actually be in your home, and have to trust the franchisee to do proper background investigation, and to carry sufficient liability insurance and bonding.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I didn't vote, because I wouldn't hire a maid service. I suppose if I ever buy a vacation home in another state and rented it out I would have to, but then I'd probably look for a non-franchise private person to do it. With a franchise you never know who will actually be in your home, and have to trust the franchisee to do proper background investigation, and to carry sufficient liability insurance and bonding.
the background investigation, proper liability insurance (and workers compensation) and bonding is the exact reason to hire a brand name franchise.

I know several people that clean homes by themselves or with a helper and not one of them have any of the above. Do you really think anyone you find off of craigslist is bonded or insured?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I know several people that clean homes by themselves or with a helper
and not one of them have any of the above.
But are they still trustworthy and reliable?
And how do they get their customers?

Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,441 posts, read 50,681,531 times
Quote:
the background investigation, proper liability insurance (and workers compensation) and bonding is the exact reason to hire a brand name franchise.

I know several people that clean homes by themselves or with a helper and not one of them have any of the above. Do you really think anyone you find off of craigslist is bonded or insured?
No, and I would never use Craigslist to hire anyone for any purpose. That would be like hiring the guys stading outside Home Depot to put a new roof on your house. I would only interview people that had been recommended to me by friends/family/neighbors that used them.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would only interview people that had been recommended to me by
friends/family/neighbors that used them.
Uh huh. And how many of these folks don't also advertise on media like CL?
Or occasionally spend an hour at a place like Home Depot where someone might talk to them?

Old 12-27-2014, 04:25 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,087,135 times
Sounds like it would be tough to retain staff and/or customers in this business.

If Joe Customer is satisfied with the work of Jane Employee in cleaning his house, what's to stop the two of them from dealing directly with each other, and cut you out of the loop?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Sounds like it would be tough to retain staff and/or customers in this business.

If Joe Customer is satisfied with the work of Jane Employee in cleaning his house, what's to stop the two of them from dealing directly with each other, and cut you out of the loop?
anything is possible but I have been in the home services business a long time and it is not that common. Not saying it never happens but just not as much as some people think.

I am rethinking the whole maid business thing and maybe look for something with better margins.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,785,222 times
Quote:
Just looking to see your feelings on these companies and why you would or would not hire them?

I am looking in to buying a maid franchise.
I have never heard of ANY of those maid service franchises. I would not shell out money for a franchise unless it was a well known franchise like Subway, AAMCO, UPS Store, Super 8 Motels, or the like. I think you'd do better just starting your own company. Not sure if maid service is a good choice. It's gonna be expensive doing background searches on the maids. Also a lot of hands on work in placing maids with employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or