Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times

Advertisements

a restaurant opened near me recently with over 1k likes before opening. the owner owned an IHOP nearby and another small business in the vicinity. they are trying to actively promote their restaurant on facebook and other social media. my guess is that they promoted it on their IHOP page and through their other business as well as through their personal friends and local acquaintances. i dont know much about the ownership but i believe the guy ran for political office locally and i know that during hurricane sandy and other power outages they will let people use their fridges/freezers for their food and try to help people in the area. so i figure they have built up some local good will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 04:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
They are buying likes which is feeble because you lose out on marketing to a real audience.
That's not remotely accurate. Plus it tells me that you don't understand marketing.

First, the Likes are coming from living, breathing people. So you have a core market of people who are at least moderately interested in your business.

Second, what do you think a direct mail list is? Or broadcast air time? Or an ad in the paper or the local magazine? Last time I checked, those aren't given away.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:27 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's not remotely accurate. Plus it tells me that you don't understand marketing.

First, the Likes are coming from living, breathing people. So you have a core market of people who are at least moderately interested in your business.

Second, what do you think a direct mail list is? Or broadcast air time? Or an ad in the paper or the local magazine? Last time I checked, those aren't given away.
You told the poster he didn't understand marketing but its clear you do not either. Are you no aware people can buy facebook likes? they typically ARE NOT from real people but fake accounts and bots. Don't get me wrong not saying there is no value, people have group mentality so if I have 4 likes someone isn't as likely to follow me as if I have 400 or even 4,000.

Can you buy real likes? Sure you can for 5x - 10x the cost of bot likes, and even after spending that money they aren't as targeted as they should be for the cost.

Most purchased likes are NOT real people just want to make that clear.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
You told the poster he didn't understand marketing but its clear you do not either. Are you no aware people can buy facebook likes? they typically ARE NOT from real people but fake accounts and bots. Don't get me wrong not saying there is no value, people have group mentality so if I have 4 likes someone isn't as likely to follow me as if I have 400 or even 4,000.

Can you buy real likes? Sure you can for 5x - 10x the cost of bot likes, and even after spending that money they aren't as targeted as they should be for the cost.

Most purchased likes are NOT real people just want to make that clear.
As somebody who has run some pretty successful social media campaigns (And not small ball for the local pizza parlor either), I can tell you that I've never bought a single Like on Facebook. I've occasionally bought some Facebook ads, for sure, for highly targeted demos, but that's it.

So, yeah, I know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
As somebody who has run some pretty successful social media campaigns (And not small ball for the local pizza parlor either), I can tell you that I've never bought a single Like on Facebook. I've occasionally bought some Facebook ads, for sure, for highly targeted demos, but that's it.

So, yeah, I know what I'm talking about.
You didn't address the point at all about facebook likes being real. Facebook ads are something completely different than facebook likes.

Facebook ads have never really had a good reputation as being effective. I've used it a little bit on some free trials for myself and clients and have never had much luck. I think only certain types of businesses can benefit from facebook ads. Below is an article saying so. I'm sure you could also provide 10 articles of success stories but overall among business owners Facebook ads dont have a great reputation

Gallup Report Questions Social Media Ads - Business Insider

As far as facebook likes you stated facebook likes are comming from real people. Purchased likes 99% of the time are fake bot accounts not real people. I'm assuming you are referring to using facebook adveritisng to get facebook likes. Thats all well and good but a like isn't the same thing as dollars spent. A like doesn't put any money in my pocket as a buisness owner.

The purpose of paying for ads, on a platform like facebook or any other is to get sales, i could care less if you get me a like i can go get a million likes for under a hundred bucks what I care about is if my sales increase due to facebook ads which in my case and most business owners the answer is no

Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
You didn't address the point at all about facebook likes being real. Facebook ads are something completely different than facebook likes.

Facebook ads have never really had a good reputation as being effective. I've used it a little bit on some free trials for myself and clients and have never had much luck. I think only certain types of businesses can benefit from facebook ads. Below is an article saying so. I'm sure you could also provide 10 articles of success stories but overall among business owners Facebook ads dont have a great reputation

Gallup Report Questions Social Media Ads - Business Insider

As far as facebook likes you stated facebook likes are comming from real people. Purchased likes 99% of the time are fake bot accounts not real people. I'm assuming you are referring to using facebook adveritisng to get facebook likes. Thats all well and good but a like isn't the same thing as dollars spent. A like doesn't put any money in my pocket as a buisness owner.

The purpose of paying for ads, on a platform like facebook or any other is to get sales, i could care less if you get me a like i can go get a million likes for under a hundred bucks what I care about is if my sales increase due to facebook ads which in my case and most business owners the answer is no
I agree with everything you said. I just got done running a Facebook ad, I wouldn't say it's worthless, it doesn't do a lot, but it's also very cheap compared to other advertising means. For me when I post status updates I can see a boost in sales. I personally see little value in fake "likes". The best thing is when your Facebook followers share your page or status update. Something I discovered recently is that you can now invite people who like your photos or updates to like your page, its important that they actually follow your page so they can see future status updates, which are effectively advertisements.

cpg35223, I don't think anyone is questioning your expertise or what you do personally, you simply missed or ignored the topic at hand. It is possible to buy likes, whether you do it or not is irrelevant. But I don't think many restaurants waste their time buying likes, it's not neccessary.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I agree with everything you said. I just got done running a Facebook ad, I wouldn't say it's worthless, it doesn't do a lot, but it's also very cheap compared to other advertising means. For me when I post status updates I can see a boost in sales. I personally see little value in fake "likes". The best thing is when your Facebook followers share your page or status update. Something I discovered recently is that you can now invite people who like your photos or updates to like your page, its important that they actually follow your page so they can see future status updates, which are effectively advertisements.

cpg35223, I don't think anyone is questioning your expertise or what you do personally, you simply missed or ignored the topic at hand. It is possible to buy likes, whether you do it or not is irrelevant. But I don't think many restaurants waste their time buying likes, it's not neccessary.
Thanks for sharing your experience. yeah I think facebook ads only work for a certain type of product like something which would be a cheap digital product that you dont think twice about buying. Am I going to buy a scarf because I see a facebook ad? Probably not. Would I buy a ringtone or an ebook or pay to download game, yeah I may.

As far as advertising not sure how much your paying on facebook but a cool trick I've found for adwords is not to advertise for search results but on peoples websites, I think they call it content or partners or something. Anyhow, I find I'm paying about a third if not less for the same keywords and ads as I'm paying in search. I think even adsense has come out and said that adsense partners get about 70% less per click than search so you can find some bargains there. You can also pick and choose which sites you advertise on and which you dont.

As to the topic of buying likes and followers, some people say its disingenous and I sorta agree with that. At the same time my own behavior as a consumer or reader I do notice I'm more likely to folow someone with 5000 followers than 50 followers, I just assume they post more they have intersting things to say, etc.

It can backfire though I've seen some people run those twitter audits and show oh this person has 50,000 followers but only 133 of them are real and it makes them look kinda fake.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,957 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me I do marketing for a 20 million dollar company, the companies who buy likes are idiots. Marketing through Facebook doing paid ads is quite different, promotions at trades shows, gathering organic likes at the retail front after providing service. I look at our competitors who buy likes from Indian websites and it will not help your business. Its the same thing as fake twitter followers, learn about the business before you call someone out.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,399 times
Thanks for all the insight.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:19 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Something I have noticed about new restaurants is that their Facebook pages have hundreds or even thousands of 'Likes' on or even before opening day. How does this occur? Facebook advertising? Word of mouth? Can word of mouth spread to thousands of people in just a few months? Mine (which is not a restaurant but is in the food sector) has barely a couple hundred and it has been open for five years. I tell my customers to Like my page but most don't bother. Am I getting too hung up on the business value of Facebook?
Well you can pay for boost ads, which actually generates hundreds and even thousands of likes, the problem with that is most of those are useless likes. It's better to take it slow and get your customers to like your page, that way when you make a post, you know 90% are past customers. If you really want to get more likes from your customer, you can tell them, "we occasionally post special discounts for our Facebook fans, if you'd like to be informed, give us a like" then hand them a business card. I've also seen businesses have a sign or pamphlet saying, "Get 5% off your purchase today if you like us on Facebook!" then they would show you on their phone that they liked your page before giving them the discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business